Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC: What works for you?

I dabble in PCC, rarely shoot it in USPSA (every time I shoot a USPSA match with it, I think how much fun it would be with a handgun), but shoot it in the 2x4 3 gun division and steel challenge. I'm no expert but if my gear isn't working I am not having fun. Below are the items I have found work well for me. Keep in mind I have no ties to any of these brands, I just want a PCC that runs 100% of the time.

The lower: JP or Jones have treated me well, but haven't played with any others. I was told that the mag sits at a better angle/distance from the chamber and this assists with reliability. 

The bolt: JP all the way.

The Barrel: I've played with ramped and non ramped barrels, and am currently running a taccom ramped 14.5 with muzzle break pin and welded. The ramped had to be grounded down to fit into the Jones lower I currently utilize.

Buffer System: I love the JP Silent Captured Springs and have been a big fan for a while now. When it came to the PCC I chose the JP standard weight short stroke. One day I want to play with the Heavy version, but not a priority right now.

Everything else I don't believe will impact the PCC's ability to fire with every round. I have a hyperfire trigger, a Gibbs upper, a Oden works forearm, and a mft minimalist stock (considering switching out).

This isn't intended to be a Ford vs. Chevy type of conversation. This post is intended for those that want to learn what works and what doesn't with a PCC.

What other items/brands do you have that make your PCC run flawlessly?

6 minutes ago, egd5 said:

A JP gmr-15. No messing with a mix of parts.

This is the only factory rifle I’d take to a match unfired, and find myself surprised if it malfunctioned.

If you want to piece your rifle together with a quality upper and lower, fill it with JP moving parts and it will run.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I bought a GMR-15 Ultralight from SC, and added a slide ride C-More & a Techwell magwell.

I'm almost 5K in without any malfunctions (reloads and factory including some old Production and SCSA reloads).

I wish someone made a 9mm carbine that looked like the 10/22. One that was nearly identical. The one Ruger created did not need all that steel and weight into the receiver and barrel. I mean look at all the stamped steel 9mm machine-gun pistols out there? They are super light weight, long wearing and reliable too. 

Edited by Styro
18 hours ago, cferree said:

I bought a GMR-15 Ultralight from SC, and added a slide ride C-More & a Techwell magwell.

I'm almost 5K in without any malfunctions (reloads and factory including some old Production and SCSA reloads).

I forgot about the Techwell magwell, doesn't affect functionality, but sure makes those reloads eaiser.

I built my own on a JP GMR-15 upper/lower with a JP bolt, JP short-cycle buffer, Faxon barrel, SLR comp, Aero-Precision handguard, CMC trigger, Magpul stock and Hogue grip.  It's 100% reliable with Glock mags, pmags, and Glock mags with extension (Dawson and Goliath).  Gun shoots very flat and soft.  I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.  So, I guess that's another vote for JP.  

I cheated.  I build my own 1911 and 2011 guns, but didn't want to go trough the learning curve when I decided to acquire a PCC for SCSA.  I asked on these forums and got a number of recommendations, including JP and Leadstar.  A shooting buddy shot a stock Leadstar Prime for a season and a half with 100% reliability.  I shot his and loved it.  It is lighter than the JP, so I bought one.  It ran from shot one.  The only thing I changed was to add a Blitzkrieg short stroke spacer.

22 hours ago, Styro said:

I wish someone made a 9mm carbine that looked like the 10/22. One that was nearly identical. The one Ruger created did not need all that steel and weight into the receiver and barrel. I mean look at all the stamped steel 9mm machine-gun pistols out there? They are super light weight, long wearing and reliable too. 

Have you played with the Ruger PCC? A local shooter just bought one with the tandemkross kit. He loves it so far. 

JP. GMR with 16" bbl.  Haven't shot it much but it ran my test loads from 115 to 147 grain bullets (blue, sns, xtreme plated, MG and zero jhps) from 104 to 156 PF without a single failure.  5 shot group ~.4" at 25 yards with the load I settled on.  

On 5/31/2020 at 4:47 PM, iflyskyhigh said:

Why the MRO and SRO?

Legitimately at this point it's 75% looking cool and only about 5% hard left leans / rollover prone to avoid transitioning to support side or going full belly. Rolling the rifle over to the SRO saves a bit of time. 

The other 32% is so I can answer that question on #instagram😈

Legitimately at this point it's 75% looking cool and only about 5% hard left leans / rollover prone to avoid transitioning to support side or going full belly. Rolling the rifle over to the SRO saves a bit of time. 

The other 32% is so I can answer that question on #instagram[emoji48]

I like it. Honest. And it does in fact look bad ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had several Quarter Circle 10 9mm PCCs and they all worked great. Not necessarily optimized for competition out of the box like the JP, but robust and reliable to be sure... those guys have figured out how to make a blowback PCC run and run and run. If I had to bet my life on a PCC functioning (heaven forbid 🤣), it would be a QC10.

• 4 weeks later...

I have 3 pccs. 

JP GMR 15 ready rifle 14.5 barrel with short stroke kit and extended mag release.

I have 2 ATI Milsports The only thing changed is furniture, triggers and safeties. I ramped the the barrels to get them to feed more reliably.