Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazines for USPSA?

Just got the tracking info on the new GMR-15.  I don't own a Glock, so I need to order some magazines.  I will be using the gun for USPSA and steel, mostly outlaw steel. 

I would appreciate any thoughts on mags to start with. Looking at the current USPSA classifiers I'm thinking I should have at least 2 17 round mag's?  Wondering if it wouldn't make sense to get 2 17 rounders and add Taran Tactical +6 basepads to them for a little extra capacity and weight for dropping?  How do the stock +2 type basepads on the Glock 33 rounders hold up?  I was thinking 2 of those, and wondering if 1 shouldn't have something like an oversize Dawson basepad that would cost the +2, but would be more durable?  I'm thinking 1 33 round with the Taylor Freelance Goliath +20 to use as my big stick for most non classifier stages.

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.  

Sounds like you already know everything you need. My setup is three 17 round mags with +6ish taylor freelance extensions for classifiers. These extensions put the mags at about the same length as my 170mm mags. I put the mag pouches in the same position as my 3 gun/USPSA belts making mag manipulations consistent across platforms. 

You can't go wrong with one or two 33 rounders topped off with a Goliath. I use this for all other stages that don't require a reload. 

Edited by Adamj
2 hours ago, drysideshooter said:

Thanks Adamj, I appreciate the thoughts and advice.  I think I will start with 3 17's with the Taylor Freelance +6, 2 33's with Goliath's, and one spare 33.  After years of STI mags for 38sc these Glock mags seem fairly cheap.

Having a spare 33 mag is a good idea, one of my big sticks broke at the seam on the rear of the mag up towards the feed lips and was causing miss feeds during a match. Didn’t have a spare with me so had to shoot the remainder of the match with only 1 big mag and a 17 rounder.

I wasn't aware there were 24 rounder's. Just looked on Shooters Connection, and sure enough, there they are. That makes sense.  About the same capacity without any additions. Simpler seems to be better. Thanks for the heads up.  How are the standard Glock basepads?  Would anyone recommend something like the Dawson oversize, easy removal basepads for the extra weight and durability?

My opinion is dont bother with the 17 rounders at all. I find with a magwell on they are to short for a good insertion. Even with +5 extensions they are nearly all the way in the magwell. I suggest getting the glock 33 rounders.  I like the beer can grip for reloads. Plenty room for your hand and full insertion of mag. Get a MBX, or Goliath, or whatever extension you like. Remember though for uspsa matches 32 round max stage design mostly, couple exceptions though. I say 3 glock 33 add extension to one use the other two for reloads and back up. If you really want a 17 you can use it as first mag in a classifier with mandatory reload and then use 33 for reload. 

The Magpul 21 round mags are excellent for classifiers, reloads and steel challenge. 

dirt cheap, super reliable, easy to reload and for steel challenge, it keeps the weight of the gun the same if you bring 5 of them up to the box. 

3 hours ago, drysideshooter said:

I wasn't aware there were 24 rounder's. Just looked on Shooters Connection, and sure enough, there they are. That makes sense.  About the same capacity without any additions. Simpler seems to be better. Thanks for the heads up.  How are the standard Glock basepads?  Would anyone recommend something like the Dawson oversize, easy removal basepads for the extra weight and durability?

For the 24 round magazines I used the Zev Tech Glock Base pads.  It gives you a couple of rounds more capacity, but I don’t care about the extra capacity really.  I care more about mag internal accessibility. The door on the bottom of the Zev Tech Glock  base pad allows for easy removal of the spring and follower. This allows easy cleaning of the magazine after they hit the ground. Classifieds often require reloads. So I want something that allows cleaning the mag easy. I have been using the stock 24 rounds mag spring, but I am going to throw some 33 round mag springs in there to test.  The 24 round springs have worked fine but I think I like the idea of the extra spring power with the extended mag base. Whatever mag base pad you to with I would make sure accessing the mag for cleaning is easy (Imho). 

http://www.zevtechnologies.com/ZEV-Technologies-Glock-Magazine-basepad-Black

Edited by Boomstick303

I use ETS mags with MBX basepads for my initial magazine.  40+ rounds will eliminate most reloads.  my second mag is an ETS 31 rounder.  For some reason, All three of my PCC's run ETS mags flawlessly.  I also have several OEM Glock mags with Taylor freelance +10's on them.  I'm sticking with the ETS because they just run.  I know I'm the minority, but Glock mags just give me fits.

I ordered 3 33 round Glock magazines, 1 +20 goliath basepad, and 2 21 round pmags to try them out.   I think I may end up preferring to reload with a 33 round mag for the beercan grip. Thinking I will try starting some classifiers with a 21 round, and reload with a 33.  I will spend some time on reloads and see if reloading a 33 is fastest for me.  

14 hours ago, Matt1911 said:

The Magpul 21 round mags are excellent for classifiers, reloads and steel challenge. 

dirt cheap, super reliable, easy to reload and for steel challenge, it keeps the weight of the gun the same if you bring 5 of them up to the box. 

+1 on these

My FX9 loves them

RTL

I think you have a great plan - except I would add one more 33 rounder - I use them far more than my Goliath - not many stages need that many. 

For pure speed on low round stages - like plate racks, I'm experimenting with 15 round magazines - loaded to 7 rounds in case of a miss and changing after every string.  Lowest weight to swing around, the 33 rounders, when loaded up, are pretty heavy.  

That being said, it's probably a better idea in theory than the real world but what the heck.  

I also only use OEM Glock mags but have tried magpul, ELS, and Korean mags and they all work flawlessly.  

Edited by philmadxx
add thought