Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass shavings reloading new Starline brass?

Igloodude

I've got a 20yr old Dillon 550B that's only done 45ACP. Up until recently, I've loaded ammo using recovered/cleaned brass, and as I've generally been shooting Bullseye, my loads are consistently on the lighter side. Several months ago my brass supply was getting low due to shooting action pistol matches where I generally get some or none of my brass back, so I ordered a case of new Starline and started using it.

Yay on skipping the dirt associated with punching out spent primers, but I'm seeing that instead I'm getting brass shavings from the powder drop station, and I think possibly from the bullet seating and crimping stations as well.

Could anyone please tell me if this is normal/expected, and what it is likely from?

Thanks,

-IglooDude

two things come to mind , one  is brass dust from manufacturing, the other is over flaring the cases,

if not lubing cases  suggest that you start. New cases will stick to the expander causing issues.

On 5/25/2020 at 5:39 PM, Guy Neill said:

If you are not chamfering inside and out before using the new brass, try that to see if it eliminates the shavings.

2X New brass has a sharp, square edge that your expander & crimper conveniently removes and deposits in your machine. 

Are they brass shavings or particles? New brass can have a somewhat rough surface and then brass particles can stick to the expander plug. A rough expander surface adds to this issue too.

This also happens when the brass is wet cleaned with pins (which can create a rough surface as well, also wet cleaning removes all carbon which acts as lube when expanding but that is a different topic).

(FWIW, I use a polished Lyman M-die expander and new Starline brass (45ACP)  but do not experience the issue you describe. For the record, I size them first with a std Dillon sizer, not a U die or anything like that).

Edited by RGA

On 5/27/2020 at 12:30 AM, Farmer said:

2X New brass has a sharp, square edge that your expander & crimper conveniently removes and deposits in your machine. 

My new Starline brass came with an "instruction" sheet that specifically suggested chamfering the outside and inside of the mouth of new brass to avoid the slightly irregular and sharp edges sometimes present on new brass.  

• 2 months later...

There is a tool called a chamfer and deburring tool. You use it on new cases and trimmed cases, You very lightly deburr the case mouth inside and out (you are NOT trying to make the case mouth a cutting tool) and clean the case interior. What you are currently doing is using the expander section to remove the burrs from the inside and and the seating stem/crimp to remove the burrs from the outside.

https://loaddata.com/Article/BenchTopics/Chamfering-Case-Mouths/38