Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upper receivers and gas block.. overthinking?

CheekyChung

Not including "enhanced" uppers like the Vltor MUR, BCM Mk.2, Aero M4E1, etc, as long as it has an identifiable forge mark and is "mil-spec" there shouldn't be a difference in reliability/durability, right?

Is there a difference from Luth-AR's upper to a BCM or Spike's in quality? 

Also internet sleuthing shows a mixed bag of reviews of adjustable gas blocks and that using different buffer weights is a good enough fix in the SBR/Pistol barrel lengths.

Is a Superlative Arms for $100 more durable than a $60 Seekins, or is it just purely in the cost of design?

I can't think of a reason why durability would be impacted by finishing machining. If you're checking for one of the standard forging marks, then they should all be made from the same alloy with the same forging process. The only difference between the forged uppers being offered by different vendors is the final machining and anodizing, which can impact reliability. Most companies will produce a final product that works fine, but a few of the bottom-of-the-barrel outfits can turn out something with machining or coating that's far enough out of spec to interfere with proper functioning, but those are in the minority. You certainly don't have to pay for a big name like Spike's or BCM to get a decent forged upper (though I will say that BCM runs pretty frequent sales on stripped uppers with cosmetic blemishes, which can be a good way to get into a top tier brand for a decent price). No first-hand experience with Luth-AR uppers, but based on their general reputation and experience with some of their other products, I would guess that they can turn out a competent forged upper.

Adjustable gas blocks are a little more variable, since there isn't a published standard spec that all manufacturers are using, so they tend to vary in both design and quality of machining. I can't say for sure, but I would guess that Superlative gas blocks are a little pricier mostly because of differences in the design - the gas bleed-off function that they offer is pretty unique. Either it represents an increase in complexity that causes a corresponding increase in cost, or it's just that it occupies a unique enough niche that the supply and demand numbers are a little skewed compared to some other adjustable gas blocks....

• 1 month later...