Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow started to have hammer follow.

JWBaldree

Probably coincidental, but I swapped my cadet upper onto my Shadow Custom, and it started having hammer follow issues. Mkay, figured I got some .22 gunk somewhere making it wonky. Pulled it all apart, cleaned it all out and put her back together with the 9mm upper. I can cycle it by hand and everything is hunky dory. Gun is empty and the trigger works like it should. Push on the back of the hammer and it stays in place. The hammer and sear look like they are supposed to, with no rounded edges. Safety works as advertised. Try and feed from a mag, or drop the slide from slide lock and the hammer follows. Sear spring maybe? It's got 30,000 plus, plus a bunch of dry fire time on it. I know stuff isn't new forever, but I can't see anything else that looks worn or wonky. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Check the Sear Spring, it's the cheapest fix. I've had this exact thing happen before and thought it was the Hammer and Sear, but after going through each part with a magnifying glass, my friend recommended the Sear Spring, and sure enough it was. 

Nearly forgot. Ensure both legs of the trigger bar spring are in proper position under the trigger bar. Seen one inside the trigger bar as well as one trapped between trigger bar and slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The screw is tight and the trigger bar spring is as it should be. Gene, not sure what you mean by the hammer moving rearward at the start of the pull. Are you thinking there might be some fore and aft slop? If so, nothing discernable. Just a bit of takeup in the trigger, and then the hammer starts rotating like normal.

The screw is tight and the trigger bar spring is as it should be. Gene, not sure what you mean by the hammer moving rearward at the start of the pull. Are you thinking there might be some fore and aft slop? If so, nothing discernable. Just a bit of takeup in the trigger, and then the hammer starts rotating like normal.

Wrote a response but cannot find it in the thread which is weird. Did you see a reply from me re the above?

Wrote a response but cannot find it in the thread which is weird. Did you see a reply from me re the above?

Sorry. You’re comment/question re hammer movement on SA pull.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to ordering parts and getting them installed today. First off, pulled the over travel screw, and still had the problem. Screwed around trying to find some extra stuff I might need in order to justify shipping costs, hence the long delay. Gave up and broke down and ordered a new sear spring and a new sear. Replaced just the sear spring, hammer still followed. Replaced the sear too and problem went away. Took a closer look at the original, and the sear face had just the slightest raised portion n between where the hammer hooks rest. Gave it three swipes with a file and stuck it back in. No hammer follow either. I put the new one back in the gun (fitted for the safety first) and will hold onto the original for a spare, in case I need it 30 - 50,000 rounds from now. Sigh.