Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oil vs Grease?

tyr264

I've never used anything but oil, never broke a gun yet. When I shot "up north" in snow, I lubed with Break free mixed 50/50/ - 60/40 with marvel's mystery oil. Since Tri-Flow is so thin, I'd probably (shudder to think of it) try it in cold weather. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2020 at 4:32 PM, AHI said:

That "thicker" oil he has  in that bottle looks just like LSA.  LSA is a grease.  It kind of negates his "no grease" message.

Not all greases are equal.  The most common grease is NGLI #2.  That's the stuff in find almost everywhere in tubs and tubes.  It's too thick for most uses on firearms.  A NGLI #0 or lower grease is awesome.  LSA is a NGLI #000 grease.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah the oil v. grease thread huh?  Posted this before and I'll post it again.  I'll play.

Wet is best. A light viscosity fully synthetic oil always works on 1911's.
For me, grease (thin full synthetic) is reserved for aluminum framed or high mileage guns in warm months.
Clean them when they need it. Oil helps float away debris, but not as well as actually field stripping & cleaning it.
If you decide to use grease...you must clean often.

I prefer to grease the rails of high mileage guns in hot weather, but that is my preference. Oil always works.  

A lighter viscosity full synthetic grease on the rails of well used pistols during the warm weather months has worked fine.
New and/or tight guns may short stroke with grease or may tend to stumble in colder weather, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm down to about 3 gallons left of Evinrude TCW3 2 cycle oil. Got 15 gallons of it about 20 years ago when my employer was tossing it, due to switching to 4 stroke outboards. I still had a 2 stroke boat for a few years. 
As you can tell I havent done alot of weedeating or chainsawing in last 20 years.
But It does make good gun lube. 
Pretty sure Lucas gun oil is simply their 2 stroke oil repackaged and grossly inflated in price. Pretty much like all these gun lubes are.
If you are paying more the $4 or $5 for a quart of gun lube you are getting ripped off.
In fact if you rig up a bottle drain, you can probably get it basically for free after an oil change by just draining the residue from each bottle into a smaller bottle.