Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prescription Shooting Glasses

NovaShooter

I need some suggestions on best Prescription Shooting Glasses. I would prefer different colored lenses that can be swapped but that is not a deal breaker.  I have tried Rudys bu the RX insert sits close to my eyes and my lashed smudge the lens.

Let me know what you us / think.

Thanks,

Jayson

So I just went through this whole exercise. Props to Charlie Perez for sharing his experience and advice via PM. Now my issue may be different than yours but I will share.

I can see 20/15. Can see 9mm holes in paper at 25 yards. This is thanks to Lasik surgery a few years ago. However, I couldn't see my front sight clearly. The biggest issue though is that I couldn't shift my focal distance between far and close fast. I can see clearly at target distance but not my sights. So this made it impossible to get my eyes to focus on my sights. This was exacerbated in dim light like on overcast days.

What I did, based on the recommendation of the Big Panda, was to order cheap safety glasses at various Rx strength. I ordered +0.50, +0.75, +1.0 and +1.25. I used these in dry fire and live fire for a few weeks. Eventually settled on +0.75. Shot a match and that validated things.

I recently I had an appointment with my optometrist. Explained my issue and he confirmed that +0.75 was the correct prescription. I opted for single vision correction on my dominant eye. +0.25 on my left with the option to change to same correction as dominant or no correction.

I just got my Rx glasses. I went with a Wiley X frame that is not too curved. I've dry fired and done a couple live fire session with them. So far really good experience. I can easily snap focus to my front sight but can still see smaller targets at distance. Also no refraction or distortion at all due to the little curvature in the the frame. I also went with clear lenses since I want as much light as possible hitting my eye.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, NovaShooter said:

I need some suggestions on best Prescription Shooting Glasses. I would prefer different colored lenses that can be swapped but that is not a deal breaker.  I have tried Rudys bu the RX insert sits close to my eyes and my lashed smudge the lens.

Thanks,

Jayson

Like you, I had issues with inserts. I’ve been using the  Rudy in frame rx with photochromic lenses. Not as specialized in different lighting conditions, but it adjusts well enough. And I really have no complaints. 

Hunters HD would be a good option for you. The lenses are awesome, customer service is top notch, and Brian supports the shooting sports at an incredible level, particularly our junior shooters. 

Another vote for Hunter’s HD Gold.   Their lenses are pretty great, photo chromatic so you don’t need to change lenses for different light conditions, and no extra charge for prescription.

I have tried many different prescription shooting glasses and have settled on the Decot Hy-Wyd Revel glasses. Their turn around was fast and customer service has been top notch. That and they support the shooting sports by sponsoring many matches. 

I also want to mention that I have no direct affiliation with Decot Hy-Wyd. I am simply a satisfied customer. 

Another thing I forgot to mention was that if you have a flex spending account for your work, prescription sunglasses are an eligible expense, so this is how I covered the extremely expensive Pilla prescription glasses. It’s something a lot of people don’t think about or realize, as you can get sticker shock with the Pillas, but they may be completely covered. Same goes for prescription Hunters HD gold or any of the other ones. I ordered mine direct through Pilla by calling them on the phone. I would recommend that and not trying to order them online, it’s too difficult to try to get things right with the prescription, get the lens colors you want, etc. There are a lot of things that are unclear on their website too that can be cleared up in seconds with a simple conversation on the phone.

2 hours ago, J_Allen said:

Hunters HD Gold.

The nonprescription glasses are spendy and up for debate whether worth it or not (I think they are). For prescription glasses they are a no-brainer.

I will go out on a limb and say that their non-prescription lenses are worth it.  I tried several top name brands and though they were good the Hunters are better...much better.  Hunters lenses in Oakley or Rudy frames is about as good as it gets in my opinion.

22 hours ago, NovaShooter said:

Thanks,

Jayson

The Rudy Exception style sit further away from your eyes and your lashes won't rub.  The lenses choice isn't as great as it once was.

https://www.rudyprojectna.com/products/exception-spare-lenses?variant=31523916349505

Following this as well since my reddots are not as crisp as they should be. Tried on my wife's glasses and they did clear up. Going to try the magnified safety glasses route by buying different strengths and see what works. Only ones I found were elvex rx-500c as they have a split lens construction and have full lens magnification. I can mix and match the lenses to find the right combo for my eyes. They only cost about $8.

Edited by Joedirt199

I was also concerned about my eyelashes smudging the Rx inserts, so went with the cheapest pair of Rx shooting glasses I could find: Wiley X Saber Advanced.  

The glasses themselves, with 3 lenses, cost less than $65 locally.

The Rx insert was from sportrx.com and was $165 (shipped) and that included expedited shipping.  

The insert is far enough from my eyes that my eyelashes don't smudge it at all.

After over a year of weekly shooting with the Wiley X Saber Advanced, the only "problems" that I have with them are:

• It is still a pain to swap out the lenses.  I ended up buying a 2nd set of glasses (another 3-lens pack) and have the vermillion lens in one frame and clear in the other frame.  I like the vermillion in bright, outdoor conditions and clear for indoor shooting.
  • I should have purchased the anti-reflective coating on the Rx insert.  I did get the anti-fog, which seems to work pretty well, but I get a lot of reflections between the lenses, esp with the clear lenses and bright indoor lights.  Wearing a hat helps a LOT, but I'd still prefer to have had the anti-reflective coating.

On 5/25/2020 at 7:39 PM, Stony Lane said:

The Rudy Exception style sit further away from your eyes and your lashes won't rub.  The lenses choice isn't as great as it once was.

https://www.rudyprojectna.com/products/exception-spare-lenses?variant=31523916349505

Holy crap brother those are wicked expensive! $365 and that does not even include the RX lenses.

34 minutes ago, NovaShooter said:

Holy crap brother those are wicked expensive! $365 and that does not even include the RX lenses.

At one time, Rudy Project discount codes could be found.  I don't know of any currently.  Perhaps some members on the Forum can help?

I would not call them the best as they are all I've used, but the Revision Sawfly with inserts are on the APEL so I can wear them at work too. Seems like any insert combo is going to be heavy and have trouble with dust between the lenses. On the plus side the outer lense is fairly inexpensive so you can change them when scratched or older. These things wear out and don't provide the same level of protection forever.