Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cobalt Kinetic Team rifle or JP for multigun?

NOSHMJ

If you had the money, and the choice, which would you choose?  Cobalt's Team rifle or a JP?   I know a lot of guys like to build custom, but lets just say right outta the box rifle. 

I would and always have gone J.P. Most innovations that have happened in the AR world have started at J.P. most the others copied.his ideas and added a twist or two which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. If you want the one with the most proven R&D behind it....J.P.!!!!

I’ve shot the top end models of both rifle companies.  They are both nice rifles, but as stated previously, my vote goes with JP - for research, innovation, and long-standing proven results.  I have not shot a rifle that I like more than my JP CTR-02.

shameless plug - Code: 68SS0717 will save you cash when ordering parts or complete rifles through JP.

I can see why. The shoulder pad of the stock on the J.P. is sitting under the recoil tube, while the cobalt stock is sitting over an inch higher. Simple physics says your pivot point is a lot different, causing the J.P. to jump more!

Cobalt offers that adjustable stock on their stage iii team rifle.  So that would mean the stage iii gun would jump more than the stage ii because of the shoulder pad placement? 

10 hours ago, NOSHMJ said:

Cobalt offers that adjustable stock on their stage iii team rifle.  So that would mean the stage iii gun would jump more than the stage ii because of the shoulder pad placement? 

I'd imagine that the stock itself does not doom a setup and that Kurt is referencing its specific current configuration - if you raise the shoulder pad to the top of the buffer tube, implicitly you should feel less recoil on the same setup (or at least I do).

For reference, I use that stock on my own comp rifle but have it adjusted to the highest position so it sits almost in line with the tube...the video is long and about a different brand rifle altogether, so forgive me for that, but you get the point:

Edited by GorillaTactical

Not saying one isn't flatter than the other, just pointing out the physics thing. Kind of like saying my 1911 is much flatter shooting than my 1873 Colt single action. The grip is much lower on the single action so it flips up more.

Edited by kurtm

Another vote for the JP. Best decision I made in 3 Gun was ditching all the other stuff that wasn't working and buying an 18" JP-15 3 Gun Ready Rifle. Feel free to shoot me a message if you have detailed questions on a build @NOSHMJ

Come to think of it, every time I listened to @kurtm I ended up saving a lot of time fiddling with things and being happier in the long run with gear that works!

Edited by Darqusoull13
Popped one off into the berm too soon

• 4 months later...

So an update on this topic.  I shot the JP vs Cobalt.   JP stock was lifted up to be parallel with the tube as suggested.  The Cobalt still has a smoother feel to it.  Its nothing substantial that makes or breaks any deal on either gun.   However, I did find out the hard way, that in my my current configuration of both rifles, that the JP requires more gas pressure to cycle reliably.  With that said, I used the same ammo in the Cobalt, and it seems it is way overgassed.  The brass gets tossed out at almost 12 oclock direction, and a few times it got stuck back in the chamber and caused a nasty jam.  I am currently trying to find a happy medium to run 1 ammo type for both guns to cycle 100%.   Both guns have low mass bolts, adjustable gas blocks, and the cobalt muzzle brakes.  JP is running JP silent captured, and Cobalt is factory Cobalt buffer system.

Edited by NOSHMJ