Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester small pistol primers

chgofirefighter

zero issues after 135k winchesters.. did require some tweaking in the rf100 to get them to run reliably

helps that you can get winchesters cheaper then CCIs pretty much any time as well.

Edited by 99mpower

What I'm reading here is that some primers (Winchester here) don't run through automated systems very well, I'm guessing because of differences in allowed tolerances. In terms of function, though, of the 100K + I've loaded, all went bang (except a single primer missing an anvil that was caught before it ever got put into a pickup tube).

For the speed and convenience of automated systems (vibratory primer tube loaders and highly automated motor driven progressive presses), highly uniform input/feedstock works best. So maybe the WSP/WSR/WLP/WLR don't fit the bill. But if the primers are loaded with a manual pick up tube from a hand shaken flip tray, and loaded on a press powered by your arm (and therefore slower and less demanding on the system), the result is still good ammo. So the Winchesters are still an option, depending just how much and how fast ammo production is wanted.

Just my 2¢.

1 hour ago, kevin c said:

What I'm reading here is that some primers (Winchester here) don't run through automated systems very well, I'm guessing because of differences in allowed tolerances. In terms of function, though, of the 100K + I've loaded, all went bang (except a single primer missing an anvil that was caught before it ever got put into a pickup tube).

For the speed and convenience of automated systems (vibratory primer tube loaders and highly automated motor driven progressive presses), highly uniform input/feedstock works best. So maybe the WSP/WSR/WLP/WLR don't fit the bill. But if the primers are loaded with a manual pick up tube from a hand shaken flip tray, and loaded on a press powered by your arm (and therefore slower and less demanding on the system), the result is still good ammo. So the Winchesters are still an option, depending just how much and how fast ammo production is wanted.

Just my 2¢.

Your 100% right.  The new winchester's have a anvil height that sometimes comes about the cup.   Checked Winchester's against CCI, Federal the last two are flat and winchester is just a little above the cup on some but not all.    I'm an old guy and still fill pickup tubes by hand. 

I have used over 100,000 winchester primers and have never had a problem with them in my dillon 650. Maybe I have just been lucky? Doubt it. Use a primer pick up tube- am retired.

Winchester are my "last resort" primers...  they hang up constantly in my RF100 primer feeder... its obvious Winchester primers are not top notch ... why do you think they are one of the most available primers... ?  

Ever since Winchester changed their design I've had problems with them.  Not in terms of reliability, but in feeding through my 1050s and various primer tools (RF, DAA, PAL).  So I avoid them whenever possible.

On 5/22/2020 at 11:47 PM, chgofirefighter said:

I've been using CCI #500 since day one.. But my supplier didn't haven any except  Winchester primers and evern since I started using them they don't flow well in my DAA Primer collator and my Mark7 Evo press has crushed quite a few of them. I've never had issues with the primer slide block getting primers stuck in it, etc prior to me using the Winchesters...  Also, at the primer station a few primers have been crushed into the primer pocket.  Weird!  Anyone else? Or am I having bad luck :( 

That is funny, just shows what comes around goes around.
When I bought my Dillon from a LGS back in the 90's, I bought CCI primers and had constant problems with them jamming in the tubes. Went back to dealer and he apologized for his employee selling me the CCI's,, said dont use them they dont work and he swapped me out for Winchester. 
All I ever used for decades, till the various primer shortages.
Got some CCI's a few years ago and they worked fine and now hearing problems with the Winchesters.

3 hours ago, Joe4d said:

That is funny, just shows what comes around goes around.
When I bought my Dillon from a LGS back in the 90's, I bought CCI primers and had constant problems with them jamming in the tubes. Went back to dealer and he apologized for his employee selling me the CCI's,, said dont use them they dont work and he swapped me out for Winchester. 
All I ever used for decades, till the various primer shortages.
Got some CCI's a few years ago and they worked fine and now hearing problems with the Winchesters.

Yeah, as time goes by sometimes quality degrades due to companies trying to save money...  

Seems to go in cycles. In the 80’s we always used CCI primers because the were cheap, local and everyone sold them. Bought a thousand SR & SP and noticed they changed the packaging from the white sleeves to a beige one, no biggie. You couldn’t seat any of them without totally flattering them! Thought it was the brass but it didn’t matter. Switched to WW and they felt like they fell in and the groups improved too. Same thing with brass. WW used to be great, RP was crack/split prone up until 20 yrs ago then WW got thin, flash holes off ect and Rem improved. So I suppose as stamping dies wear, management changes, supply’s vary and demands increase things are gonna vary. I gotta say though that Starline brass is one that has stayed very consistent over the years. 

On 5/22/2020 at 10:47 PM, chgofirefighter said:

I've been using CCI #500 since day one.. But my supplier didn't haven any except  Winchester primers and evern since I started using them they don't flow well in my DAA Primer collator and my Mark7 Evo press has crushed quite a few of them. I've never had issues with the primer slide block getting primers stuck in it, etc prior to me using the Winchesters...  Also, at the primer station a few primers have been crushed into the primer pocket.  Weird!  Anyone else? Or am I having bad luck :( 

You’re not crazy, my DAA primer collator doesn’t do super well with WSP primers either. 

I don’t like WSP due to the way they go through my Vibra prime and sometimes give me problems on my Dillon 750.

That said, I sure would like to buy about 50k Winchester primers right now!

• 3 months later...