Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester small pistol primers

chgofirefighter

I've been using CCI #500 since day one.. But my supplier didn't haven any except  Winchester primers and evern since I started using them they don't flow well in my DAA Primer collator and my Mark7 Evo press has crushed quite a few of them. I've never had issues with the primer slide block getting primers stuck in it, etc prior to me using the Winchesters...  Also, at the primer station a few primers have been crushed into the primer pocket.  Weird!  Anyone else? Or am I having bad luck :( 

Makes me wonder if the lack of nickel plating on the new primers maybe causing a problem with them not being as slick. With my hand primer I have noticed more resistance when seating the new match primers. 

I have used CCI, S&B, Winchester and Fiocchi SPPs in my 650, using a virbaprime unit to collate them. The only ones that give me issues during collating are the Winny's.  All flow fine through my press though.

Dillon 1050 and Mark VII.  S&B were really a problem in both my RF100 and the press:  upside down primers, slow to even flow down the primer tube, crushed primers.  Winchester were very tricky to run through the RF100 but generally worked in the press.  The slick CCI primers were great in the RF100 and near flawlessly in the press.

2 hours ago, muncie21 said:

I have used CCI, S&B, Winchester and Fiocchi SPPs in my 650, using a virbaprime unit to collate them. The only ones that give me issues during collating are the Winny's.  All flow fine through my press though.

Same here, the Win are a pita with the vibra prime....but they are nice primers otherwise, they are my go-to primers.

WSP and WLP primers are a problem no matter how you load them.  First, they are not smooth and any vibratory loading method is slower, sometimes a lot slower.  Second, many of them are slightly oval and stick in the drop tube, or tilt as they exit.  I have about 7000 of each that I wont use except in an emergency.  I use CCI 500 and 300.  I buy each in quantities of 15,000, and reorder when I open the last case.

I have loaded thousands of WSP primers and have never had a problem with them. They have been my go to primers till recently. I only had to go Federal because I would not find any Winchester primers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was just reading the back of the WSP pack and it states; HANDLE one at a time, NOT in bulk and NOT in primer feed devices. OMG we’re all gonna die!!! No wonder they don’t work for some of you guys, you didn’t read the instructions. 🤣

Edited by Farmer

Back in the day, they were good quality.  Now they're crap.  I do most of my loading on 1050s and never have a single issue, unless I'm using Winchester primers.  The only way I'll ever buy more is if I'm completely out and they're the only available option.

When I first started with 9 mm loading I tried various popular SPP.....I had the worst experiences with..Winchester by far.

Not smart enough to know why they were so difficult...on the 650 and RF-100.....

Now 170K of CCI SP I am throughly satisfied!

like everything else in this sport...people swear by their favorites!!

Loaded 10's of thousands of WSP primers in 9, 38 and 380.  they mic. out a hair larger than my Federal primers.  I have found that if I keep my priming system clean I have no problems with the WSP's, I was surprised how much muck was in the primer tube the first time I cleaned it out.  Might give it a try.

I use WSP and CCI primarily. WSP gives me no problems in my RF100, or in my DAA collator. In my Revo with the primer collator, I do seem to have a few more upside down primers with WSP than with CCI, but that's subjective and I've never measured it. In last nights session I had 2 upside downs in 800, using WSP.

On 5/24/2020 at 8:59 AM, zzt said:

WSP and WLP primers are a problem no matter how you load them.  First, they are not smooth and any vibratory loading method is slower, sometimes a lot slower.  Second, many of them are slightly oval and stick in the drop tube, or tilt as they exit.  I have about 7000 of each that I wont use except in an emergency.  I use CCI 500 and 300.  I buy each in quantities of 15,000, and reorder when I open the last case.

thanks! I noticed that they didn’t  flow very good or smooth on my primer collator from DAA. The primer collator tends to have tons of issues with them. Never had issues with CCI primers. Normally I use #500 strictly! But at the time I came across on a good deal that I could pass up on the Winchester primers. Well, you get what you paid for I guess 🙄 to be honest, never again! 

On 5/25/2020 at 11:01 AM, Batmo said:

I've loaded over 20,000 Winchester primers through my 550 with no problem after taping a 158 grain bullet to the top of the follower rod in the primer tube...thinking the extra weight would help gravity.

I did the same thing years ago (180 grain .40 bullet JB welded to rod) and haven't had any issues since. 

Winchester primers are definitely not as smooth feeling as CCI or Federal, but I've never had one not fire. 

I quit using Winchester primers when I was getting 10 - 15 no fires in my reloaded ammo.  I now use Remington's, CCI's and Federals.

The Federals are used in my revolvers only.

I never got  on the DAA collator bandwagon, using an RF100.

I must be lucky used 80,869 WSP and no duds yet. plus 19,013 of WSPM no duds there either. 

You are lucky! I’ve loaded about 20k WSP and found a handful of primers without anvils. I still by them if they are cheap - I just spend more time looking at them before loading in primer tube.

42 minutes ago, Stuey said:

I have loaded a little over 10k of WSP and not had any issues with them. I have recently gone to Federal because no one has the WSP in stock around me.

Weird. Where I'm at, Federal is hard to find but Winchester are always around. 

6 minutes ago, Matt1911 said:

Weird. Where I'm at, Federal is hard to find but Winchester are always around. 

I have found that the guy ordering determines a lot of that.  If they like one more than the other or the price if they don't reload.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2020 at 8:59 AM, zzt said:

WSP and WLP primers are a problem no matter how you load them

This has also been my experience. I can not use any type of Winchester primer in my Dillon 550 but will work ok in my 650. I know, weird.

I use WSP more than any others. No problem in my 550, 650 or M7 w/ collator. It did take some kajiggering of my RF100 to get them reliably, but once I got the gate set just right they've been okay. WSP has been fine in my DAA, but I notice they're a little slower than CCI in travel-time down the chute. Not a lot slower, but some.