Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
NOSHMJ

How often do you clean your gun

Posted (edited)

Before every match, and when it needs it between practice sessions. I would hate to have a gun issue during a match that was directly related to me not cleaning my firearm.

Edited by ccollins3006

3 hours ago, ccollins3006 said:

Before every match, and when it needs it between practice sessions. I would hate to half a gun issue during a match that was directly related to me not cleaning my firearm.

Best practice is to thoroughly clean THEN shoot a practice session or at least take it to the range and run a mag or two through it before you shoot it in a match. This way if you screwed something up on assy it doesn’t kill your match.

1 minute ago, Sarge said:

Best practice is to thoroughly clean THEN shoot a practice session or at least take it to the range and run a mag or two through it before you shoot it in a match. This way if you screwed something up on assy it doesn’t kill your match.

I function fire after cleaning, hasn't been an issue before. 

If I do that, then my OCD kicks in and I'll want to clean it again.  hahaha

1 minute ago, ccollins3006 said:

I function fire after cleaning, hasn't been an issue before. 

Hence, why I said at least run a mag through it.

I have seen guys travel to major matches and detail strip their guns in the hotel. Th y go to their first stage and gun won’t run

2 minutes ago, NOSHMJ said:

If I do that, then my OCD kicks in and I'll want to clean it again.  hahaha

I’m pretty OCD too but I always take dirty guns to matches

1 minute ago, Sarge said:

Hence, why I said at least run a mag through it.

I have seen guys travel to major matches and detail strip their guns in the hotel. Th y go to their first stage and gun won’t run

People do a lot of things at major matches that I will never understand. That is one of the tamer things that I have seen as well.

I feel lazy. Don’t count rounds as such but it probably works out to be every 5k rounds or before a match. Whichever comes 1st

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and peroxide.  Let it soak about an hr.  Then I just use Qtips to clean it out.  All of my comps are brand new looking.  

Posted (edited)

I've used 50/50 vinegar and peroxide on my comps and let them soak for 24 hrs.  It helps soften lead making it easier to remove but damn, they don't come that clean!  BTW, be very careful with the vinegar/peroxide mix - it makes peracetic acid and the fumes are a severe irritant to eyes and lungs.  From the NIH:  "Peracetic acid is corrosive/irritating to the eyes, mucous membranes of the respiratory tract, and skin. It causes lacrimation (tearing of the eyes), extreme discomfort, and irritation to the upper respiratory tract in humans after exposure to concentrations as low as 15.6 mg peracetic acid/m3 (5 ppm) for only 3 min."  I put the barrel/comp (Trubor) in a tall glass with the mix and cover it with plastic wrap while it's soaking.

Edited by mvmojo

I use it in a well ventilated area.  Rinse everything with fresh water after.  Wear gloves. 

On 5/27/2020 at 2:39 PM, NOSHMJ said:

50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and peroxide.  Let it soak about an hr.  Then I just use Qtips to clean it out.  All of my comps are brand new looking.  

I also use this method on all of my comps.  I also spray Dillon case lube on my comp before and in between each stage.  I helps with the cleaning.

Every fifteen rounds.

It's just killing my stage times. 😛