Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ordered GMR-15

After reading everything I could find in this forum and talking with owners of MPX's and GMR-15's, I ended up ordering a GMR-15 today.  Arnzen Arms in Minnesota already had one with the short stroke, 5 steel buffer system and extended mag release, and made me a very good deal. I know I would have been happy with an MPX as well, but the easy availability of parts and support from JP helped make the decision for me. 

I have a lot of Montana Gold 124 CMJ's on hand. I've used them in a 38SC open 2011 as well as for a 9mm open steel gun and 9mm production gun.  I like how little they foul comps, and have always been happy with them.  I also have a lot of Autocomp and WSF on hand, so will probably try working up some loads using those for now.  If I can't come up with something I like I will try 320 and Titegroup.

I have quite a few guns with Cmore's on them, but I think I may try a Holosun on this rifle.  Any thoughts?  I don't like the lack of options with regard to dot size like you have with Cmore.  How do folks like using the circle and dot reticle opposed to just the dot on PCC's?

Congrats. Welcome to PCC... it's like an open gun you get to use with your shoulder (and they're cheaper) lol!

The Holosun's are great,. The circle-dot is really something you'll need to try for yourself in order to see if it works for you. I found the circle-dot great at first, but it soon became too busy for me to track under recoil and contributed to me getting sloppy with my shots, so I went back to dot-only. That said, it's worth a try, some guys love the circle-dot, and good news is you can try both and switch at the touch of a button. The Holosun's are still good sights even if you end up only running the dot.

Congrats on the GMR - I have a similar one - maybe with a couple of tungsten weights?  Can't help with the handloading, not my thing but for an optic, I love the holosun.  I use the circle-dot exclusively now - there was a point where I was going to switch back to just the dot but then I started experimenting with keeping the intensity down - made a world of difference!  I found I wasn't focusing on the target, the circle dot got in the way - turning it down was the answer - now I find the target through the reticle - love it.  

Good luck.

Congrats on the JP. I run a c-more on mine. I like the almost non existent view of the sight itself of the c-more.

My load with WSF is 4.2 gr, 124 FMJ RN from Rocky Mountain Reloading at 1.115 to 1.120, mostly in the middle of that.

I’ve run cmores on my open guns and now run them on the PCCs. I guess I’m too old/stubborn/stupid to try something new, but the cmores just work for me. I’ve played with the holosun a few times and maybe I just didn’t give it enough time but I didn’t care for the circle or the very small dot. I literally changed the dot module today on my primary gun...I like the flexibility to do that.

Thank you for all of the great information, I genuinely appreciate it.  I've been bouncing back and forth on the Holosun vs Cmore.  I've used Cmore's for so long that it's a bit hard to get away from using another one.  I've read and watched a lot of reviews of the Holosun, and have no doubt it's a great sight, but like TeedOff I've had really good luck with Cmores.  The ability to change dot size is also nice.   I will use this gun for steel as well, and most of the time I like a 6moa dot for most steel matches.  

egd5, thanks for the load info. Having a starting point is extremely valuable. 

Philmadxx, have you replaced two of the steel weights with 2 tungsten weights?  I don't see the weights available separately on the JP website. I will have to call them.  I can see that having a few to fine tune things would be nice. 

On 5/23/2020 at 9:42 AM, drysideshooter said:

Thank you for all of the great information, I genuinely appreciate it.  I've been bouncing back and forth on the Holosun vs Cmore.  I've used Cmore's for so long that it's a bit hard to get away from using another one.  I've read and watched a lot of reviews of the Holosun, and have no doubt it's a great sight, but like TeedOff I've had really good luck with Cmores.  The ability to change dot size is also nice.   I will use this gun for steel as well, and most of the time I like a 6moa dot for most steel matches.  

egd5, thanks for the load info. Having a starting point is extremely valuable. 

Philmadxx, have you replaced two of the steel weights with 2 tungsten weights?  I don't see the weights available separately on the JP website. I will have to call them.  I can see that having a few to fine tune things would be nice. 

I ordered mine with 2 tungsten weights (JPSCS2-9SS-5H2) - spoke with the guys at JP - they suggested it based on my ammo choice - Federal 124g AE9AP.  I haven't changed a thing, softest shooting 9 I've ever fired.  Guys I shoot with love it as well.  Even the CZ hardcore are impressed.  

I ran a holosun for IDPA. The advantage of the circle dot was I knnew for close range to use the bottom of the circle. But I started getting distracted by how busy the reticle was. So I switched back to a c-more and for close range head shots just aim for the top of the target. For center mass shots at close range I zerod the gun so if I forget to aim at the top of the down zero area I have enough forgiveness in the offset to still be within the circle.

As for the rifle I own both and they are both great guns. I find for me follow up shots are way easier with the mpx, it takes zero effort (that's with a tungsten weight installed on my JP on the barrel positioned right next to the receiver to help reduce dot bounce). I found the recoil on my JP ultralight out the box to be about the same as my first PSA pcc (fit, finish, functionality and reliability on the JP is way better than my psa). I guess shooting my mpx for months prior while waiting for my JP spoiled me. I recently installed 5 tungsten into the buffer on the JP to slow down the bolt and it has vastly helped in softening the recoil and improve my follow up shots at speed, but it still takes more effort than my mpx (I don't reload anymore I shoot factory blazer 124gr and 147gr). I use the JP as a backup gun in anticipation of the Mpx failing and having to be diagnosed. 

Edited by nick954