Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading. 308 diameter bullets in 7.62x39

Deeslwrk

So I'm just starting out in rifle reloading and have some questions about some loads for my 7.62x39. I am trying to use components that I have found to be readily available in stores near me and that combination has turned out to be, IMR4198 23grns, with a 125 grn Sierra boat tail that's. 308 instead of. 311 like the load data shows. I haven't loaded any yet because I wanted to make sure that going with a different diameter bullet wouldn't be dangerous or have adverse outcomes.  I changed the expander ball in my small base taper crimp rcbs die set to work with. 308, does anyone have any advice on this?

You can load and shoot the smaller diameter bullets, but it may not be worth the effort.  The smaller bullet will not obturate the bore well, giving lower velocities that may result in the bullet tumbling.  Even if it does not tumble, accuracy is not likely to be good.

You will also need an expander ball suitable for the 0.308 bullets.  Otherwise the case may not hold the bullet.

This assumes you have a standard barrel intended for the 0.311 bullets.

I have one gun that was built for what we'll call the 30 x 39.  It uses 7.62x39 cases and 0.308 bullets.

IN all,. I think you would be happier using the bullets correct for your barrel - 0.311 diameter unless you know the barrel is made for the smaller bullets.

Ok, thank you, that's what I was wondering.  I may load 10 or so to try them and if it doesn't work out then I can get some .311. I have the .308 expander in my resizing die so they should fit correctly.  I'll let you know some numbers when I get some data

• 2 weeks later...

Update, I loaded about 20 rounds with 23.1 grains of imr 4195 using 125 Sierra bullets with .308 diameter. I used my 308 expander ball but the bullets were almost impossible to get in the case neck so I went back and ran the 311 expander through them. I then used my seating and taper crimp die to set my coal and crimp. The rounds made 2150fps +- 20fps and shot a 1.2" group at 100 yrds. I was happy with the results since it was my first batch of rifle rounds.  Now I'm hooked,  I'm venturing into 6.5 creedmoor now and hope to get into some longer range shooting