Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am looking for a new scope for my 3-gun rifle.  I would like something 1-8 or 1-10x in the $600 or less range.  For the reticle, I like the "circle dot" reticle combined with  BDC lines or chevrons.  I have narrowed down my choices to:

Primary Arms 1-8 w/ACSS

Swampfox Arrowhead 1-10

Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8

Bushnell 1-8 AR Optics w/BTR-1 reticle

Does anyone have any experience comparing these for optical quality, and whether they are a real 1X?

Thank you,

Chris

I've been in the same boat. Having cycled through a lot of budget optics my opinion is that spending $600 on a great 1-4x is a better investment than spending the same amount of money on a mediocre 1-8x.

• 1 month later...

Kinda off subject sorry but what has happened to the price of the Steiner 1-4x , I bought one new 2 years ago for $500-$550 now they are $700-$800 plus at some places? Back to the subject, what kind of distances will you be shooting? I’m not a glass snob but it definitely helps with the lower powered scopes having decent glass. I think a Vortex Viper PST2 1x-6x would be better then any of those 1-8 you have listed and you can find them used with a mount for around $600. Someone was selling one not to long ago with a nice BoBro mount for $600-$700ish if I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Swampfox Arrowhead has some of the best glass for it’s price range, the reticle is also day light bright which is very rare in it’s price range. One other feature of the Arrowhead is the exposed turrets is they are locking, Swampfox listened to their customers after their first LPVO the Tomahawk didn’t so they would get moved during a match. 

On 5/21/2020 at 6:33 PM, S&W627shooter said:

I am looking for a new scope for my 3-gun rifle.  I would like something 1-8 or 1-10x in the $600 or less range.  For the reticle, I like the "circle dot" reticle combined with  BDC lines or chevrons.  I have narrowed down my choices to:

Primary Arms 1-8 w/ACSS

Swampfox Arrowhead 1-10

Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8

Bushnell 1-8 AR Optics w/BTR-1 reticle

Does anyone have any experience comparing these for optical quality, and whether they are a real 1X?

Thank you,

Chris

Check out this thread where Mike from Swampfox shares details, pictures, and answers questions: https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/SwampFox-Optics/18-737086/?page=1

I just got my Swampfox Arrowhead 1-10 yesterday, and it is nice.  The horseshoe part of the reticle is about twice as large as the 65 moa donut of a Holosun.  The clicks of the turrets are positive and audible, and they lock down securely.  I mounted it on an AR, and on 1X, keeping both eyes open is easy, and the outline of the scope tube seems to disappear.  At 10x, the eye box is smaller, but it's not bad. Starting with the buttstock on my belt and the scope on 10x, I was able to shoulder the rifle and find my "target" quickly.  I haven't gotten to the range yet, but my initial impressions are really good!

Edited by S&W627shooter

2 hours ago, S&W627shooter said:

I just got my Swampfox Arrowhead 1-10 yesterday, and it is nice.  The horseshoe part of the reticle is about twice as large as the 65 moa donut of a Holosun.  The clicks of the turrets are positive and audible, and they lock down securely.  I mounted it on an AR, and on 1X, keeping both eyes open is easy, and the outline of the scope tube seems to disappear.  At 10x, the eye box is smaller, but it's not bad. Starting with the buttstock on my belt and the scope on 10x, I was able to should the rifle and find my "target" quickly.  I haven't gotten to the range yet, but my initial impressions are really good!

Even my Razor at 6 has a tighter eye box, as power goes up the eye box gets tighter and tighter. I like my Tomahawk and am glad Swampfox listened to us on the Arrowhead.