Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

C-More C3 illumination issues?

erwos

I bought a C-More C3. It's from the latest batch. It seems like a pretty great scope in my examination of it thus far, especially the reticle. Will be taking it out on Sunday for some range time to form better opinions.

However, the illumination seems... weird? Two issues:

1. There is a LOT of illumination reflection in the tube and bleed out the front. More than I've seen on any other quality scope lately. It's not a big deal when you're using it and not overdriving it for the environmental light conditions, but it was surprising. Anyone else noticed this?

2. The only useful illumination settings are 6 to 11. 5 and below are basically impossible to see even in near total darkness. Again, is this normal? Max brightness isn't bad, it's like my Razor on 8 or 9.

I changed the battery, so that's not the issue - these issues persist even with the new battery. Neither is a deal-breaker for competition use, but I'm reviewing the scope and don't want to ding it on these issues if they're just QC issues on my particular example. I emailed C-More, but I was curious if anyone here had seen the same things. Thanks!

Just went and compared my C3 to my PST G2. Your observations appear correct. I'd previously noticed the red reflection in the tube while indoors after sundown but its never been visible outdoors or at any brightness setting I'd actually use in lower light conditions. I've never looked into the front of the scope either but you're correct about that as well. My understanding of Vortex Razors and PST's is that the dot is unique in that the illumination is focused on the center of the reticle rather than just blasting the whole inside of the tube like most scopes. If that is true it would explain why they have less tube reflection than other optics.

Regarding your observation #2, the majority of scopes I've looked through seem that way. Like there are 5 off settings with an off position in between them, and then it starts lighting up.

Edited by TonytheTiger

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2020 at 12:59 PM, erwos said:

I bought a C-More C3. It's from the latest batch. It seems like a pretty great scope in my examination of it thus far, especially the reticle. Will be taking it out on Sunday for some range time to form better opinions.

However, the illumination seems... weird? Two issues:

1. There is a LOT of illumination reflection in the tube and bleed out the front. More than I've seen on any other quality scope lately. It's not a big deal when you're using it and not overdriving it for the environmental light conditions, but it was surprising. Anyone else noticed this?

2. The only useful illumination settings are 6 to 11. 5 and below are basically impossible to see even in near total darkness. Again, is this normal? Max brightness isn't bad, it's like my Razor on 8 or 9.

I changed the battery, so that's not the issue - these issues persist even with the new battery. Neither is a deal-breaker for competition use, but I'm reviewing the scope and don't want to ding it on these issues if they're just QC issues on my particular example. I emailed C-More, but I was curious if anyone here had seen the same things. Thanks!

Did you snag one couple weeks ago when they were $699?

On 7/16/2020 at 4:56 PM, OPENB said:

Did you snag one couple weeks ago when they were $699?

I did not. That is a somewhat more appealing price point, though. I recently finished up my review, as can be found here:

https://thehebrewhammer.net/2020/07/19/c-more-c3-1-6x24-lpvo-scope-review/

If the next gen of these has a fiber optic reticle with Razor level 10 brightness and they can keep a $800-$900 price point, I think they will have a real winner.

15 hours ago, erwos said:

I did not. That is a somewhat more appealing price point, though. I recently finished up my review, as can be found here:

https://thehebrewhammer.net/2020/07/19/c-more-c3-1-6x24-lpvo-scope-review/

If the next gen of these has a fiber optic reticle with Razor level 10 brightness and they can keep a $800-$900 price point, I think they will have a real winner.

Great review! Although I'm kinda biased as your opinion seems to mirror mine exactly. Tell me more about what C More said about a gen 2? With their lack of marketing I didn't think they had plans to go any further in the scope world.

22 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

Great review! Although I'm kinda biased as your opinion seems to mirror mine exactly. Tell me more about what C More said about a gen 2? With their lack of marketing I didn't think they had plans to go any further in the scope world.

I asked, and they said it was a thing they were gonna do, and the timeline given seemed to indicate it was going to be something we'd see at the next SHOT. They seemed well aware of the limitations of the current scope. They are definitely selling them, I actually had to wait a few weeks after my order to get the first one of a new batch.

As I remarked on my FB page, C-More released an amazing Razor Gen1 1-4x competitor just in time to compete with the Razor Gen2. :) Hopefully they'll have better luck with the successor scope.