Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
mioduz

How would you set up to reload 50k 223/556

Recommended Posts

Haven't been actively reloading in about 2 years due to.....life.  during the pandemic sold a few thousand of my commercially loaded ammo stash because some people wanted my ammo more than they wanted their hard earned dollars.  I was going to rebuy, when I realised I should take a look at what I have on hand in terms of reloading.  I have 50k small rifle primers here.  So I am going to reload some 556.  

 

I currently have 2 650 xl with case feeders and a super swager.

 

 

If you where going to take on this task how would you do it??  My biggest concerns are trimming and swaging (not sure if this is accurate). 

 

 

should I bite the bullet and buy the 1050/1100??   Or swage on 650 with a swage it attachment???

 

 

rt1500 power trimmer????

 

 

Any advice is appreciated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy processed brass, or pay someone to process your brass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me it would depend on if you already have brass to reload 50k on hand.  If you don't, I would do what is mentioned above and buy processed.  if you do, I'm selling everything and getting a 1050 or revolution or something to speed up the process since swaging 50k cases is my version of hell.  Third option is see if there is someone with an autodrive press that would be willing to prep them for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sell the 650's for (2) 1100/1050's for the swaging capabilities.  Keep one 1050 for brass handling and one for reloading.  Automate both if possible.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, SnipTheDog said:

Sell the 650's for (2) 1100/1050's for the swaging capabilities.  Keep one 1050 for brass handling and one for reloading.  Automate both if possible.

 

 

Let me ask you why would i need 2 1050's.  Wouldnt just one for deswaging and brass prep do the trick (if no automation is elected)  

 

I should have said in the orginal post that I am in no hurry to do this tomorrow.  I hope to set up the equipment necessary and load what ever i can over winter.  I want to work in an efficient manner that makes sense.  Probably going to stay away from automating as thats not in the budget at moment but open to it in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, RIch22 said:

For me it would depend on if you already have brass to reload 50k on hand.  If you don't, I would do what is mentioned above and buy processed.  if you do, I'm selling everything and getting a 1050 or revolution or something to speed up the process since swaging 50k cases is my version of hell.  Third option is see if there is someone with an autodrive press that would be willing to prep them for you.

 

 

Working on that as we speak.  There is a local with an autodrive 1050 seeing what he would charge to just prep the brass.  May be my best bet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, mioduz said:

 

Let me ask you why would i need 2 1050's.  Wouldnt just one for deswaging and brass prep do the trick (if no automation is elected)  

 

I should have said in the orginal post that I am in no hurry to do this tomorrow.  I hope to set up the equipment necessary and load what ever i can over winter.  I want to work in an efficient manner that makes sense.  Probably going to stay away from automating as thats not in the budget at moment but open to it in the future.

 

Sure, you could add one CP2000/1100/1050 for brass processing and then use your existing 650 for loading.  Or just farm out the brass processing as @RIch22 said and you'll need to buy no additional new equipment.  You'd just need to do a make or buy decision.  Other than that, a bullet feeder and a primer sorter would be good to have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)


 

Having processed 3 drums of 223/556 over the past 3 or 4 months, you must process all of this first then load it. If you got a 650, I’d contract that out.

 

If you got 1 1050, automated then that’s still probably 20ish hours of processing. Then loading which will be slower so another 20+ hours. Depends how tuned up your machine is. 
 

Just an FYI if you need brass processed shoot me a PM.

Edited by Laxman2809

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2020 at 3:08 PM, SnipTheDog said:

 

Sure, you could add one CP2000/1100/1050 for brass processing and then use your existing 650 for loading.  Or just farm out the brass processing as @RIch22 said and you'll need to buy no additional new equipment.  You'd just need to do a make or buy decision.  Other than that, a bullet feeder and a primer sorter would be good to have.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To those of you recommending outsourcing my case prep:

 

From my research I will be paying in the neighborhood of 45 per 1k for brass prep + freight if necessary.  Wouldn't the investment in a 1050 be a better use of funds (assuming I'm willing to put the work in). At the end the cost appears to be the same and I'm left with a new press.  

 

Just speaking out load and.looking for feedback

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't load 223/556, but if I were to want/try to load that much per year, I would want to do most, if not all of the brass prep and loading myself. Sure, it would be easier to buy the brass prepped, but if you do the prep, it's done the way you want it done....and while it may cost you some time, it won't cost you the money spent for the prep and shipping. And you would have a new press!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mioduz said:

To those of you recommending outsourcing my case prep:

 

From my research I will be paying in the neighborhood of 45 per 1k for brass prep + freight if necessary.  Wouldn't the investment in a 1050 be a better use of funds (assuming I'm willing to put the work in). At the end the cost appears to be the same and I'm left with a new press.  

 

Just speaking out load and.looking for feedback

I'd consider getting an Evo to process. You can get a stripped one for much less and then by the time you're done processing the brass their new primer system should be out and you could pick up that and a bullet feeder and start loading. Maybe even automate it to load.

 

Or keep one 650 to load and process on the Evo and buy the primer system at a later date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm buying a 1050 chain drive soon. Perfect for 50K batches. You gota have a powder cop!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Styro said:

I'm buying a 1050 chain drive soon. Perfect for 50K batches. You gota have a powder cop!

Curious why not go with 1100

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1050 gets my vote for 50k. That's a ton of work. Hope you have the time and patience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The swage it on a 650 loosens up every 20-30 rounds.  I got a used Mark7 for a 650 and the guy threw in the swage it.  Used it on a few hundrew WMA 40 brass some LEO had left on the range.  Have not used it since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1050/1100/CP2000 to process brass. By Hand or Automate it.

 

Then depending use you XL650 to load very high quality ammo or 1050/1100 for good quality ammo.

 

I would NOT attempt to process that much 223 on XL650. Too much work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...