Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 1911 slide frame combos

RezRocket

Hi everyone I just finished a 1911 build minus a front sight that is in the mail from an 80% RIA frame a colt slide that someone had mildly changed from GI and an RIA barrel with a Sarco GI parts kit. This was the education first build for me and man was it ever an education. I had been told to start with a cheap kit to learn on.

Lets just say there wasn't a whole lot that was square or as flat as I would of liked to to been. The mill took care of some but others I just had to live with. I in the end is fired 65 test rounds flawlessly once I ditched the Sarco mag for a Wilson and the gun is very tight.

Question is what slide frame combos have you used that you liked and met up well with minor less than full overhaul but still get good tight fit.

I order my slides and frames either already fit, or machine fit.  JEM Guns will do one of three things for you.  1:  sell you a frame and slide and you do all the gunsmithing.  2:  they will machine fit the slide to the frame so it will go on, but not function.  You have to burnish it in to finish it.  That coast $30 extra.  3:  they will do the fitting and burnishing in for you for an extra $30.  It will still be tight, but it will function.

Second choice would be Brazos Custom.  Using his own frames and slides he can ship you a custom fit slide and frame in a couple of days.  

Fitting a slide and frame by hand is quite tedious.  I've done it and it comes out perfectly, but it is not worth my time.  That is especially true since I can have it done perfectly for $60 extra.

7 hours ago, sauza45 said:

Brazos has frames and slides already fit for you.  Brazos also has short blocks, which is frame slide and barrel already fit.

Only for Limited, not Open.

1 hour ago, cbrussell said:

I have heard good things about Warwick Tactical. Checked them out at the NRA Great American Outdoor Show last year. Very well done.

Unfortunately they will not sell you a short block.  In fact, the last I heard from them was they were so busy making slides they had no time for anything else.  I wanted a slide to frame fit in early Feb and was told it would be many months before they could even consider it.

Wow, interesting to know. I know they show short blocks with barrel fit on their website. I guess business is good; hard to understand how slides alone could be a business plan, but maybe they make them for a bunch of other companies.

I am going to go over and check out Brazos. However, I was looking for a single stack.

19 hours ago, cbrussell said:

However, I was looking for a single stack.

Call Ed at JEM Guns.  His frames are perfect.  I'm sure his slides are too; however, I've not seen one of the new ones.  He'll give you an interference fit for $60, or a final (tight) fit for $60.

I have been thinking about building a 2011 Open pistol for a while but concerned about the frame/slide/barrel fit and messing things up (1st time build).  Recently been speaking with 1911 store and understand that they are planning on doing a  short block variant for 2011 Open Pistol in the next 3 - 6 months, so planning on putting my plans on hold until these come through.  I think that with a fitted bar sto barrel and integrated compensator, frame/slide and Cheely grip, it sound as though most of the key aspects to worry about would be covered off,  and wont need much major fitment/alteration. 

Whilst I will still need a host of smaller parts, to finish the project I am not so worried about messing up and buying another especially if I can get all the parts from the same supplier too. 

Just thought that I would put this out there for anyone looking to build a 2011 Open , with key components already sorted and matched. 

Or if you are after a limited variant, then head over to their website as the slide/frame/barrel options are available already :)