Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When has too much material been removed from 1911 Sear

mioduz

In the process of bettering a previously fit sear, my results are not getting me where i would like to be.  I fear too much material has been removed to go any furthor with this part.  Is there a standard measurement that can determine if the sear is now just too short

12 minutes ago, mioduz said:

In the process of bettering a previously fit sear, my results are not getting me where i would like to be.  I fear too much material has been removed to go any furthor with this part.  Is there a standard measurement that can determine if the sear is now just too short

I think i may have found the critical dimension.  Center of Pin to sear face .4045 +0/-.003

Is this best practice for determining sear "life" remaining

I use a jig that comes with a feeler gauge  Basically if the nose is even or below the feeler gauge its toast.
Another thing I would never work a sear that had been fit before unless I knew for a fact it was a tool steel sear, which many factory sears are not.
Thing called MIM , surface hardening and rock and roll.

Do the work, assemble gun, rack slide, engage thumb safety, pull trigger. Now carefully disengage thumb safety, hold gun up next to your ear, pull back on hammer, if you hear a click gun is not safe. That is the sear moving back under hammer hooks. The sear moved when you pulled trigger while the thumb safety was engaged. Sometimes if way too much was removed hammer will drop when you wipe off the safety. And of course do this with an unloaded gun.

.402" is the standard dimension for a sear.  I buy the long nosed EGR sear and put a True Radius on it.  That way, no matter how it sits on the hammer hooks, the pull is the same.    Typically it is the hammer hooks that need redressing, not the sear nose.  When you dress the hooks, a flat sear nose no longer matches the hammer hooks and must be redone as well.  That is not the case with a TR sear.

4 hours ago, mioduz said:

I think i may have found the critical dimension.  Center of Pin to sear face .4045 +0/-.003

Is this best practice for determining sear "life" remaining

Lot of great advise above...........I'm in the same boat as zzt!

Another pic that provides dimensions that are easy to measure:1911-sear-dimensions-recommended.jpg.5bb2ce6692e73e2d6b8c75b4ede10368.jpg