Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
-JCN-

What happens to competitors after 5 years?

It's like that with a lot of hobbies. I came and went from SCCA Autocross, and I know a lot of shooters that also used to be into cars. In rec league hockey you see teams and players come and go, but I also see teams I've been playing against since I was 15 still playing at the same rink every week for the last almost 25 years. Some of them just do it for the exercise and to get out of the house once a week, and some are super competitive. Again, just like shooting, I think.  

A hobby should pass the time, not take your time. Competitive shooting takes your time. When people realize that fact, it is easy to walk away, especially looking at the cost/benefit after you get over the hump of gaining decent pistol shooting competency.

Not sure how to do a cost/benefit analysis on competitive shooting (or any other hobby).  I'm not a golfer but have always wondered if shooting (say 2+K rounds per month plus private range membership, match fees, travel, etc.) was more or less expensive than what an avid golfer spends on country club membership, greens fees, custom clubs, balls, cart, etc.

For me it is a balance of life and priorities.  A couple of years ago I was introduced to USPSA and went all in.   Last spring I found out my infant son had glaucoma and that took up all of my disposable income. This year I'm really focusing on elk hunting and just shooting one local match a month if it works out.

I think 5 years is about the time a person plateaus, if USPSA is not a high priority in their life. At some point, getting better requires more commitment than may be possible, and that hard work will net much smaller gains. So at 5 years, it's understandable to see some drop out who were into it mainly to compete.
The above kinda describes me, but I'll stick around because I think shooting stages is super fun.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk