Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any experience with Foundation stocks?

ltdmstr

I'm thinking of getting a Foundation micarta stock for my Defiance Deviant-based bolt gun.  Anyone familiar with them that can comment, good or bad?  Or offer suggestions as to which model and options to got with?

No personal experience ... but I've read a few threads on them on snipershide.

- I have seen no negative comments on quality.

- They come in different weights. None is actually "light"

- Dimensions differ in forearm width, and distance from grip to trigger

- I like the look of the dark distressed finish.... :D

So... what kind of dimensions would fit your needs and preferences (got any stocks/rifles in similar style, for comparison?)?

Do you want heavy or just substantial?

Which finish looks best to you?

The rifle is currently on an Accuracy International AX chassis.  I've had it for a while, but haven't shot it much due to lack of time.  But I'm looking to get into it more.  I like the fit of the AX, but really prefer a stock vs. chassis system.  So I'm planning to switch.  I've seen the Manners stocks and know they're the hot thing for a while now.  But I'm not hugely impressed with them.  Plus there's about a 14 month wait to get one.  I came across the Foundation web site recently and their stuff looks pretty darn nice, so I think I'm going to give them a try.  The model I'm looking at is the  Genesis 2, mainly because of the shorter trigger reach.  That one also has a rather wide fore end, which I'm not sure I need/want.  I definitely want an adjustable comb, but I think they all come with that.  For length of pull, I can measure one of my other rifles, or get it with an insert setup.  Color-wise, I like the standard dark finish.  The rest of the rifle will be Defiance Deviant action in 6.5 CR, Proof carbon fibre barrel, Hawkins M5 DBM, TriggerTech Diamond trigger (have the single stage version but switching to 2-stage version when I can get one), Spuhr mount, Nightforce 5-25x56 ATACR (F1/Mil-Xt), and Surefire brake.

I have some time behind them.

The material that they are made of makes them feel different when shooting.  Kinda like when switching from a wood stock to a chassis.  Some people have described it as a lifeless feel.

I have been shooting AI rifles and chassis for so long traditional stocks feel weird for me.

The stocks are heavy, but very good quality.  

Seems like heavy is the in thing now, at least with the PRS crowd.  But I'm more interested in finding something I like v. what all the cool kids have.  Maybe I'll just go ahead with the Foundation but hang on to my AX in case I want to switch it back.

• 2 months later...

Look at the KRG Bravo. Bad ass and available, it's a chassis type with a traditional stock look. Not to mention tons of adjustment! They inlet them for a R700 SA so you should be good to go!

If you don't like the KRG, check out a McMillan stock. It's easily twice as much as a KRG, but you ARE going balls out with this build, what's another $800!

Edited by SJMPCC022
add content

I have a McMillan stock on a XM3 clone and it's ok.  Nothing great.  I had a Manners for a while, and liked it.  But for the price point, the fit and finish wasn't what I expected.  I ended up purchasing a Foundation Genesis 2 and am very happy with it.  Only downside is I had to get a new Spuhr mount because the 4006 I had on the AX was too high.  Now I just need to find more time to get to the range.