Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated bullets not created equally...

two shoes

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a sample of SNS 147 FP a little while ago and I really liked them and planned on buying more until I had to clean the gun and my barrel was coated in lead. Turns out my gun scrapes the coating off the bullet when it is simply chambered and really leads up my barrel. Haven’t had this problem with any other brand which sucks because I had always heard good things about SNS (why I tried them to begin with) and I didn’t have any function or accuracy issues with them.

Was shooting the last 100 or so from my sample tonight and this is what reminded me. Picture below of a round that was chambered in my S2 and ejected afterwards
f2e151e67f8e3bebfc85f5424c1da43f.jpg

What powder did you use with them? Someone I shoot with also had leading issues with SNS and Titegroup. He shoots Acme now, still with Titegroup.

That looks like it’s  scraping on something. Maybe feed ramp idk. Has that gun ever had feeding issues ?
I shoot the 147 rn in my S2 and there flawless. 
I Gotta hand it to SNS for doing a 147 mold that’s right !!!
The bullet profile allows for a longer load. 

Over 6-8k no other feeding issues at all with correct ammo. Some 147 blue bullets I had to load down to 1.050” to get the to plunk they “almost” had failures to feed and some would get hung up but still go into battery.

And I agree, I really liked the profile and how they loaded and wanted them to work for me. I found the DG and Blue bullet FP profile to work as well though and will be going with one of the two of them. They also have the exact same o-give profile as switching between bullets does not require adjusting of the dies for the same result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What powder did you use with them? Someone I shoot with also had leading issues with SNS and Titegroup. He shoots Acme now, still with Titegroup.

Yes with titegroup, but that is what I use with all ol their coated bullets also. A friend recently told me about sport pistol and I would love to try it, but obviously it cannot be found anywhere right now. I might end up trying N320, but that’s about $100 more per 8lb jug than what I pay for titegroup

10 hours ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

I got a sample of SNS 147 FP a little while ago and I really liked them and planned on buying more until I had to clean the gun and my barrel was coated in lead. Turns out my gun scrapes the coating off the bullet when it is simply chambered and really leads up my barrel. Haven’t had this problem with any other brand which sucks because I had always heard good things about SNS (why I tried them to begin with) and I didn’t have any function or accuracy issues with them.

Was shooting the last 100 or so from my sample tonight and this is what reminded me. Picture below of a round that was chambered in my S2 and ejected afterwards
f2e151e67f8e3bebfc85f5424c1da43f.jpg

That scrape is in front of the driving band so leading shouldn't be coming from that scrape.  It's likely coming from elsewhere, like gas cutting, etc.

That scrape is in front of the driving band so leading shouldn't be coming from that scrape.  It's likely coming from elsewhere, like gas cutting, etc.

Correct, I was showing how easily the coating comes off, and also commenting that I was getting leading which wasn’t a surprise after seeing how thin the coating was and how easily was removed

11 minutes ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Correct, I was showing how easily the coating comes off, and also commenting that I was getting leading which wasn’t a surprise after seeing how thin the coating was and how easily was removed

👍

Precision has that same profile in 115/124/147 gr, .356/.358 size, and with a much better coating.  SNS made a mess of my S2 barrel. I load everything for minor with Sport Pistol.