Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 9mm upgraded shell plate?

Are you having issues with the Dillon one?

I decap 9mm on a W shellplate  with a medium shuttle and load it on a #5 with a small shuttle. I haven't found any limitations on the Dillon plates at ~1200/hr. Maybe if I were trying to load that rate on a tall 223 case the alignment would be more critical.

IIRC, there are 9mm headstamps that don't even fit on my #3 shellplate. I'm not sure you'd have much luck on a tighter toleranced #3 with 9mm.  Looks like your only real choice is FFBs.

eta: forgot to include shuttle sizes.

Edited by belus

2 hours ago, rlapid216 said:

If you buy the FF&B plate, don’t forget to buy the extractor tab, too. You can bend the factory tab, but I found their tab worked out of the box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know!  Thanks! 

On 5/19/2020 at 1:41 PM, belus said:

Are you having issues with the Dillon one?

I decap 9mm on a W shellplate  with a medium shuttle and load it on a #5 with a small shuttle. I haven't found any limitations on the Dillon plates at ~1200/hr. Maybe if I were trying to load that rate on a tall 223 case the alignment would be more critical.

IIRC, there are 9mm headstamps that don't even fit on my #3 shellplate. I'm not sure you'd have much luck on a tighter toleranced #3 with 9mm.  Looks like your only real choice is FFBs.

eta: forgot to include shuttle sizes.

Hello belus, I'm curious about the rationale behind using the different shellplates/shuttles for processing vs loading. Thanks!

1 hour ago, ddc said:

Hello belus, I'm curious about the rationale behind using the different shellplates/shuttles for processing vs loading. Thanks!

Basically I just do all my processing on a old Forcht machine set up for 40. 9mm just happens to run along just fine. I wanted to isolate the decapping process so the rest of loading was cleaner and found a good deal on an already set-up 1050.

I run two universal decapping dies, the first one I assembled out of Dillon parts and the second is a Lee with the FFB RCBS decapping stem. The swage assembly is removed from the press.

In the prime station I have plans to install a microcontroller to confirm the decapping worked, but that's still just a pile of parts and I haven't found any primers pulling back on both decap pins. The Dillon decapper misses less than 1% of cases anyways.

9mm only gets decapped before cleaning. Sizing and swagging happens on the loading run which is much smoother knowing my brass is all deprimed.

Further around the tool head I have 40 sizing dies for tumbled 40 brass. The 9mm just passes through these stations unaffected. I load 40 on a manual 650 and I like not having to put the effort into sizing myself. It wouldn't be hard to add/remove a 9 sizing die to the end of the process toolhead if I were doing the same for 9mm.

Edited by belus

22 hours ago, belus said:

Basically I just do all my processing on a old Forcht machine set up for 40. 9mm just happens to run along just fine. I wanted to isolate the decapping process so the rest of loading was cleaner and found a good deal on an already set-up 1050.

I run two universal decapping dies, the first one I assembled out of Dillon parts and the second is a Lee with the FFB RCBS decapping stem. The swage assembly is removed from the press.

In the prime station I have plans to install a microcontroller to confirm the decapping worked, but that's still just a pile of parts and I haven't found any primers pulling back on both decap pins. The Dillon decapper misses less than 1% of cases anyways.

9mm only gets decapped before cleaning. Sizing and swagging happens on the loading run which is much smoother knowing my brass is all deprimed.

Further around the tool head I have 40 sizing dies for tumbled 40 brass. The 9mm just passes through these stations unaffected. I load 40 on a manual 650 and I like not having to put the effort into sizing myself. It wouldn't be hard to add/remove a 9 sizing die to the end of the process toolhead if I were doing the same for 9mm.

sizing during the processing run, makes loading much easier. I decap, swage, sort (judge die from Mojo Precision) to remove the stepped brass, and size during processing. Makes loading very problem free.