Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot a match over the weekend!

4 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Some people's lack of situational awareness, and/or self preservation skills are truly amazing.

i dont understand what you mean?  He was a solid 10 feet away. i mean i would have had to spin 180 to fire at him, which i didnt

There was plenty of space between him and the target

1365541994_Inked180(2)_LI.jpg.c8aad2d8d7a2f82c38e77176e4a4dafe.jpg

I'm  sure this looks worse in the picture than it was in real life because camera angles don't always capture what the angles really were, but you don't have to spin 180 degrees  to point the gun at him.  Maybe past the "180", which does happen at matches.  Like I said, I would not be standing there.

20 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

I'm  sure this looks worse in the picture than it was in real life because camera angles don't always capture what the angles really were, but you don't have to spin 180 degrees  to point the gun at him.  Maybe past the "180", which does happen at matches.  Like I said, I would not be standing there.

well no one got hurt so i guess ill call it a good match

31 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

I think you are right, looks worse in the picture. From a safety perspective I think it is a bad place to stand, from a shooting perspective I think the guy is a distraction. 

As an r.o. I would stop - paste - reshoot, what do you folks think ?

As has been said many times, this is why video is inadmissible in the sport. I have seen countless videos much worse than this where in actuality they are nowhere near the shooting area. 

2 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

As an r.o. I would stop - paste - reshoot, what do you folks think ?

I wouldn't do a darn thing. The guy was behind the shooting area and the shooter didn't stop and wait for the guy to move. Remember that GoPro sees a wide angle and things on the edge of the field of view are skewed significantly. 

Also watch the video again. At 9 seconds you can see the guy is plenty far back.

Edited by TonytheTiger

13 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

I wouldn't do a darn thing. The guy was behind the shooting area and the shooter didn't stop and wait for the shooter to move. Remember that GoPro sees a wide angle and things on the edge of the field of view are skewed significantly. 

Also watch the video again. At 9 seconds you can see the guy is plenty far back.

It is a wide angle lens...and hell yea i didn't stop. I didn't even see him standing there and the timer was running!

I've been that guy. Normally walking back from a safe area, or prepping guns for a stage, or normally from an outhouse. I normally realize it when I notice I can see way too much muzzle flash and move. 

It's not as bad as it looks, but it looks bad enough it can make the sport look scary. I wouldn't stop a stage, but I'd probably try and move shooters away for clean video. Nobody likes to have a scary screenshot make some fudd claim they're unsafe and action shooting is dangerous. 

4 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

When your running a stage everything is a blur anyway. To be honest I don't even remember that guy standing there 

Concur.  All the people who complain about distractions around them while they shoot are either not focusing on what they're doing as much as they should or they shoot inside a circus tent.

I think it's the former.

8 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I would not.  But if I thought spectator dude was getting close I would let him know after ULSC

I should have asked the question more clearly.

As many have noted, this probably looks worse than it was in real life.

Question in my mind is how close do you let the bystander get to the shooters 180 before you consider it a distraction that should warrant a re-shoot? If I am shooting and somebody gets into my field of vision in the vicinity of a target for me that is a concentration killer. 

2 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I should have asked the question more clearly.

As many have noted, this probably looks worse than it was in real life.

Question in my mind is how close do you let the bystander get to the shooters 180 before you consider it a distraction that should warrant a re-shoot? If I am shooting and somebody gets into my field of vision in the vicinity of a target for me that is a concentration killer. 

For tricky stages RO often stands pretty close to the 180. I see it often. I have also seen shooters ask to make them move with no success.

5 hours ago, Sarge said:

For tricky stages RO often stands pretty close to the 180. I see it often. I have also seen shooters ask to make them move with no success.

asking an RO anything is about the same as trying to bend a brick with your forehead...at least in my experience they have never been....shall we say very willing to comply