Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady LNL powder drop trouble.

Jkckcc

I have a Hornady LNL Ap press and I’m having trouble with the powder drop.  I’m reloading 223 and when it drops the powder it seems to bind up when the drum gets about half way and than when I stop and bring the ram back down I Notice the  case is belled inwardly.  What could be causing this? 

Oh my... sounds like you have the die too far downward into shellplate. Back the die up. We have all made this mistake. No worries. 

There is a trick to setting the height. Just barely start threading the die into the press. Make sure the linkage of the PM is moving freely. Put a case in the PM spot. WIth the handle pulled all the way down, spin the powder measure die into the press. When the powder measure spout contacts the case, the lever of the powder measure will start going up. Keep spinning the die down until the lever is all the way up to stop. Going further will cause case damage.

If your cases are way different in length, you may not get a full swing or you might go too far. Make sure they are trimmed the same. 

Hope this makes sense. Maybe I will make a video if to show it if you need me to tomorrow. 

And welcome to forum!

Edited by DJRyan13

25 minutes ago, two shoes said:

Here is a decent video already produced:
Hornady LnL Powder drop

His videos are useful but wordy. The part at the end when he is raising up and down and spinning... I do it differently. I just leave the handle down and spin until the adjustment knob is at the top of the throw. Works great.

31 minutes ago, DJRyan13 said:

His videos are useful but wordy. The part at the end when he is raising up and down and spinning... I do it differently. I just leave the handle down and spin until the adjustment knob is at the top of the throw. Works great.

Please post a video, if you decide to make one. "Wordy" lol... true.

On 5/19/2020 at 3:16 PM, two shoes said:

Please post a video, if you decide to make one. "Wordy" lol... true.

here is my wordy video... btw... you can also do this with the Dillon PM. Only the die itself moves in that case and it can be a pain. 

• 1 month later...