Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

For those who've made GM in USPSA

rowdyb

I’ve seen/heard some shooters try/say they’re trying to move up to the next classification that are not at the skill level of that classification. I’ve been there in my earlier days (which wasn’t all that long ago). I wanted to make GM LONG before I was at that level. 

This desire to make the next, or top, class of the sport is something I’d say is pretty common. There’s nothing wrong with that. It drives you to get better but............I’d say that sometimes people don’t want to accept reality and they don’t realize or want to accept they may not be at that next level. In the past I knew I wasn’t at that level but still wanted to make it. I told myself it’d push me to get better. What I ended up doing was put in the work and got better then made it.

There are absolutely XYZ classified shooters that are not at the level of their classification. It’s extremely obvious and trust me, people love to point them out. 

Being GM level in skill but classified M is far better than being the M level skilled shooter that got the GM. (Not specific to M/GM cards) 

Edited by B_RAD

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Out of 51 GMs at the 2019 open nats, only 3 finished above 95%. The vast majority of shooters never shoot their % at matches. Its a guideline that's based on peoples "Hero or zero" skill set. Matches show the true skill set. They are closeish but will never be the same. Im a paper GM who doesn't win majors but has a 98.8% in open currently. Im 100% a paper GM.

Photo for the lulz

22365150_10159317635845459_6265521571043045477_n.jpg.9230b810f643799f1b7a3e7feef8a6e0.jpg

Edited by Maximis228

Being GM level in skill but classified M is far better than being the M level skilled shooter that got the GM.

As a former GM, I would rather be a paper GM than a sandbagger. On a more serious note, when I was shooting a lot, I was always very good at stand and deliver courses of fire. I have never been particularly athletic, and my movement skills have always been poor. When it became apparent to me that GM in every division was within my reach, I practiced draws, transitions, and reloads because I was good at those elements of shooting. The stuff that really counts got pushed to the side. In my quest for ego gratification, I mutated into a total dick and ruined the sport for myself. To answer the OP, either make a big push to GM (you know how), or just shoot the classifiers like any other stage and when it happens, it happens. You have the skill set, now it's just time for a decision. Not much help am I?

• 1 month later...

@wtturn @waktasz @shred @B_RAD since I know/respect you guys in real life and you know me (though we haven't seen each other at a match in a while), one more question.

I have a 6 stage classifier match, during the day, outdoors, a place I've shot before in 3 weeks. So all the environmental things in my favor. (Versus say indoors, cold out, new place and so on) I've also changed how I live fire and dry fire for the next 3 weeks to emphasize classifier skills over more stage oriented practice.

I am currently signed up for Prod. Should I also sign up for say L10. Is it your feeling the extra division with the same gun would help or hurt the overall effort for Prod? (I have a current L10 classification of 84% if it matters)

Thank you.

3 hours ago, rowdyb said:

@wtturn @waktasz @shred @B_RAD since I know/respect you guys in real life and you know me (though we haven't seen each other at a match in a while), one more question.

I have a 6 stage classifier match, during the day, outdoors, a place I've shot before in 3 weeks. So all the environmental things in my favor. (Versus say indoors, cold out, new place and so on) I've also changed how I live fire and dry fire for the next 3 weeks to emphasize classifier skills over more stage oriented practice.

I am currently signed up for Prod. Should I also sign up for say L10. Is it your feeling the extra division with the same gun would help or hurt the overall effort for Prod? (I have a current L10 classification of 84% if it matters)

Thank you.

I honestly don’t know. 

I've never shot two guns/divs in a match before. 

I’d tell you what I’d do if I was a couple weeks out form a classifier match. Like you said, I’d practice classifer’ish drills(which I think makes for great practice anyways). I’d just focus on performing and try to avoid any pre-analysis of what I need every aspect to be. This would go the same for the classifiers. Try to avoid knowing what each classifier needs to be 95%. 

I’d practice the basics you see in classifiers. Get very comfortable with those. Which for you should be easy. If you’re not already there. I’d set a goal for the match to just perform comfortably at max controlled speed for each stage. Meaning at my maximum speed I can comfortably control. No hero or zero runs.  I’d avoid looking at the classifier Calc after each run to see if that run was good/bad. I’d just focus on the next one and try to execute it.  Wait till your completely done shooting to see if those runs will get you over the “hump”. 

I’d also work on my self talk/mental image which is really just confidence. Just trust the process. Accept that you can do it and you’ll succeed if you just keep at it. Sometimes when I’ve taken on task or set out to do something that may seem a little overwhelming, I’d tell myself “I’m not the worst /or slowest/ or what ever at this task, that’s gotten this problem solved or goal achieved”. “If they can do it, I can too”!. That can make that very “difficult” task seem more like normal thing. For me at lest. 

Everyone is different but that’s what I’d do.  

good luck!

Edited by B_RAD

12 minutes ago, waktasz said:

A warmup run or two definitely can't hurt, but not sure I'd want to run the whole match in one division then come back and do it again, but that's just a feeling

Particularly if it’s as hot as it’s likely going to be in @rowdyb’s part of the country on match day.

After a long day baking in the 95+ defgree heat and sun at a match... I’m almost always ready for a long nap when I get done with about 6 stages. Yawn.

6 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Particularly if it’s as hot as it’s likely going to be in @rowdyb’s part of the country on match day.

After a long day baking in the 95+ defgree heat and sun at a match... I’m almost always ready for a long nap when I get done with about 6 stages. Yawn.

due to my range availability here I do all my practice from noon until 3pm. so i am pretty hardened to weather now as i'm in the worst of it on the regular.

Rowdyb> If you put a heavy focus on maintaining aggressive gun handling and shooting then you will have the potential to do well. Where the 100% Hit Factors are these days there is no opportunity to dilly dally on anything.

6 hours ago, waktasz said:

A warmup run or two definitely can't hurt, but not sure I'd want to run the whole match in one division then come back and do it again, but that's just a feeling

I'd most likely shot concurrently

4 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

Rowdyb> If you put a heavy focus on maintaining aggressive gun handling and shooting then you will have the potential to do well. Where the 100% Hit Factors are these days there is no opportunity to dilly dally on anything.

thank you. my short term goal the next three weeks is all about that kind of practice in dry and live fire.

On 8/10/2020 at 12:43 AM, rowdyb said:

Thank you.

edit:

Figure out what gives you the best overall results (score, attitude, temperament) and create the conditions to do that.  What works for me may not for you.

(it's not a coincidence that this is the same advise Enos gave me many years ago)

I'm not even close to that level, but... 

Two quick observations: (1) anyone who ever got better did it because he wanted to do things he couldn't do at the time and decided to practice and work on getting to the goal, and (2) concept of intra-class competition is silly to begin with, we all compete against everyone in the same division. 

So, having a goal of getting the GM card is a good goal and will make anyone not just a better shooter, but a much better shooter. Grandbagging shouldn't be a derogatory term (or even a concept) and the only problem I have with sandbagging is when there is a prize table and it's done for material gain. So what if an A or a B shooter beats a bunch of GMs? The guy clearly performed at the certain level, had the appropriate accuracy, movement, transitions, etc. It's simply a good shooter beating some other good shooters. There is no Cinderella story here - a guy who is classified as B beats a bunch of top guys, gets bumped to GM. He was a GM to begin with, performing at the GM level, not a random B guy who got lucky... 

I started this thread because I've been 90 to 94% in Prod for 3 years. One of my many shooting goals is to be GM. 

As I've been on the cusp often but never made it I wanted input from those who did it.

Thanks for the input everyone. 

[mention=51619]wtturn[/mention] [mention=4477]waktasz[/mention] [mention=1846]shred[/mention] [mention=13315]B_RAD[/mention] since I know/respect you guys in real life and you know me (though we haven't seen each other at a match in a while), one more question.

Thank you.

No. This is only a distraction.

Don't take your eye off the ball.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...