Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Theoretical division?

RJH

Just now, ziebart said:

Nope, and nobody else would either as they don't want to be beat by a guy with a better stock gun. Been tried and failed.

Only success story is GSSF, but i've never shot one so...

I shoot and volunteer at the local GSSF match and people cheat all the time on the stock rules.

Usually a gun breaks and the armorer is required to look at it and its found to be heavily modified outside what is allowed.

There is no way to enforce this and there are plenty of divisions already.  So my vote would be no.

Maybe a stock plastic gun division that would only allow Glocks, XDs ect and a trigger pull gauge would be required at the chrono station. People would still sneak in mods but it would eliminate a lot. Maybe also subject to random gun checks as well 

I didn't think people would cheat there, but I guess someone always needs to look for an edge.

The real question to the OP is why would anyone shoot "stock"? Is it a money issue? Is it a perception that competition shooters can only shoot tuned guns? Something else? If you know why someone would do something then you have a better idea of target market and size.

6 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

looks like 1 person would shoot it. He would probably win that division most of the time.

what does 'stock' even mean when you can order guns with special options from the factory?

I thought I saw two people that said they would shoot it. Earlier in the thread we discussed stock would mean take it out of the box and shoot it. Also this thread has no actual point I was just curious if there was a division like that would people shoot it. Kind of like people can revolver but no one does, I think that's what would happen with a Pure Stock division. Most people seem to be wanting to talk about reasons why it can't be done instead of if it could be done would they shoot it, which was the actual point of the thread. I believe I said early on I know that it would be impossible to enforce.

Anyway, that was kind of a rambling response but hopefully it might have cleared up some confusion, or cause more 🙂

PS this was never about wanting to create a division, or if I thought the idea of a stock division was a good one, only if it  was possible would people shoot it

I would try it, once. Think it would be like shooting the work gun in USPSA competition. Wait, I actually already did that. Shot the Desert Classic with my duty rig and stock Glock a long time ago. 

So, no, I wouldn’t shoot a stock gun in a match that I had to pay for in USPSA. There are other games where I could do that if I wanted to.

55 minutes ago, RJH said:

Earlier in the thread we discussed stock would mean take it out of the box and shoot it.

but if you can order it from the sig or cz custom factory with the trigger and other options you want, and it comes in the box from sig or cz, is it really stock?

29 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

but if you can order it from the sig or cz custom factory with the trigger and other options you want, and it comes in the box from sig or cz, is it really stock?

I get what you're saying, for purposes of this discussion let's go with if you can't go buy at a store in a standard configuration then it would be not considered stock. If you're ordering with custom options then it would not be stock. A factory off-the-shelf stock 2 or something like that would be stock.

36 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I think that I would pass on shooting a division that couldn't exist 😉

It could be done, but whether it could be done or should be done it's not what this thread is actually about. This thread is only about if it was done would people actually shoot it

I doubt I'd shoot it.  I don't see the point.

If it's to do a level playing field, I could just go shoot Limited or Open.  They're pretty much one-design divisions these days and they got there by not regulating the hell out of everything.  If it's to try and make factory guns better, we aren't big enough for anything but the odd Shadow 2 Orange factory-specials that wouldn't be allowed either.

What is the goal?  funsies?  noob-division?  wasting time on the internet?

On 5/18/2020 at 12:48 PM, TrackCage said:

The only real way to accomplish this is to maintain a fleet of stock Glocks or whatever. Those who want to shoot the division show up and rent out their gun. Short of that, I don't see how this works or is enforced. 

That might be something worth considering. If only for newbies, or first years, or first three months. 
A fleet of loaners for first timers where they can compete within themselves. Although, I'm sure local clubs already have some sort of variant for that. I recall WAC (Tampa/Clearwater) advertised a type of first timer match where folks focused on safety and game rules without the 'intimidation' factor. 

On 5/18/2020 at 10:45 AM, RJH said:

I this is more of a thought ran through my head and I'm bored question 🙂

3 hours ago, shred said:

What is the goal... wasting time on the internet?

Answered before it was asked......