Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decreased power firing pin return spring?

OnVacation

Does anyone make a deceased power firing pin return spring? Putting together my build and it seems like it'd be a consideration, especially on guns with lighter mainsprings. I know there is a risk of slam fire with a spring too light. 

Has this been tried? Is the effect too little? What's the story...?

8 minutes ago, OnVacation said:

Does anyone make a deceased power firing pin return spring? Putting together my build and it seems like it'd be a consideration, especially on guns with lighter mainsprings. I know there is a risk of slam fire with a spring too light. 

Has this been tried? Is the effect too little? What's the story...?

What kind of gun? Reduced power firing pin springs are just about a required item in many builds. Brownells, Wolff, ISMI, make them, just to name a few.

I'm not aware of anyone making a reduced power firing pin spring for 1911/2011.  Seems like a bad idea from a liability standpoint.  Even for a competition gun.  Most people who run light mainsprings opt for extended firing pins to remedy the problem of light primer strikes.  The best thing to do is use a normal weight mainspring and do a proper trigger job with correct angles on the hammer and sear.  That way you have a light, crisp, reliable and durable trigger.  All the other "fixes" are really just ways to get around improper trigger work.

I use a lighter spring on my 1911's. Just make sure that when the slide slams forward the firing pin leaves no mark on the primer. You want it strong enough to get the firing pin back quick enough so there is no drag marks on the primer from the firing pin  either. Many industrial suppliers have springs you can use. 

15 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

What kind of gun? Reduced power firing pin springs are just about a required item in many builds. Brownells, Wolff, ISMI, make them, just to name a few.

sorry.  1911 build (Rock island Hi-cap)  

3 hours ago, mesa3gunner said:

I use a lighter spring on my 1911's. Just make sure that when the slide slams forward the firing pin leaves no mark on the primer. You want it strong enough to get the firing pin back quick enough so there is no drag marks on the primer from the firing pin  either. Many industrial suppliers have springs you can use. 

I had looked at ordering from mcmaster carr or something similar, but they normally have big purchase minimums.  Where did you get yours from?