Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2020 IRC (Canceled)

I know it was probably a very hard decision by the BOD but I'm very bummed. However, unlike the "World Series" or "Miss Universe" pageant, the IRC is truly an international competition. As such, I'm glad the BOD made the decision now so that our international friends didn't get burned when booking flights, hotels, and coordinating their revos.   

Here's the body of the email, in case anyone didn't get it...

Dear ICORE Members,

With deep disappointment, the IRC Match Director and host Shannon Smith, the Florida crew assisting him, ICORE Co-Chair Mike Homm, and I, have made a collective decision to cancel the 2020 International Revolver Championship.

I discussed the situation with Paul Pluff of RUGER, presenting Sponsor of the IRC. Paul totally understands and supports us. I also communicated with our other committed sponsors at the time of the decision. We face so many unknowns and unpredictable scenarios associated with the COVID-19 pandemic. This decision was not made lightly, but we felt that it would not be feasible to provide the best experience possible for our members traveling to our highest level event of the year.

Other matches of all levels and numerous large sporting events have been postponed and pushed to the end of what could be a crowded end of year. I know that we all look forward to any local club and Regional Championships that we might attend to participate in the sport we love.... Revolver Shooting!

I appreciate everyone who has already given of their time for the planning of the 2020 IRC. I thank member Patrick Wood (FL) for volunteering to serve as Sponsor Coordinator, and I am grateful to the Florida group for the work they have accomplished behind-the-scene. I also recognize the ICORE Board who had agreed on a few exciting new plans for the event.

Huge thanks to RUGER, Match/FFL Sponsor John Strayer's "Pro-Arms" (Allen Davis, Manager) of Live Oak, FL, and Universal Shooting Academy (Shannon Smith), who have all been committed to us since the beginning of match planning. USA stepped in to host IRC when unplanned issues surfaced with the originally-selected range. Special thanks also go to Hogue (Pat Hogue), TK Custom (Tom Kilhoffer), Revolver Supply Company (George Martin), Bayou Bullets (Dennis Olson), and all of our sponsors-to-be.

We now set our sights on the next IRC that is scheduled to be held in Princeton, Louisiana, in late 2021. This will mark the 30th year since the first IRC was planned, and we hope to announce a date within the next few months!

Thanks for your understanding, and stay safe. See you on the range!

Sincerely,

Annette Aysen, Chairman

It's a completely understandable decision. It also really, really sucks. I guess I'll have to wait and see my revo friends in LA.

Burned?  I wouldn’t think any one would book flights nowadays with a careful look at the cancellation policy.  I cancelled our hotel and flights.  Only benefit, I didn’t pay any fees and got my points back.

Currently we can’t drive across to the USA, but there are still flights coming in and out of China daily.  Figure that one out.

There is talk about extending the closure until June21.  Our boy wonder leader would like to keep it closed for a lot longer but Trump probably won’t extend past the June 21 agreement.  We have an match on the 27th that I would be at in Rochester plus some training afterwards.  Who knows.

Current thoughts on US policy

Steven Mnuchin, the US Treasury secretary, said it was “too hard to tell” if the US will loosen international travel restrictions affecting Asia and Europe this year, even as measures limiting domestic economic activity are lifted.

The failure to lift those bans throughout the summer months would mark a further blow to the global travel and hospitality sector.

Asked on Fox Business if international travel would be “opened up this year”, Mr Mnuchin said: “Too hard to tell at this point. I hope down the road it is . . . Our priority is opening up the domestic economy.”

He then added: “Obviously, for business people that do need to travel, there will be travel on a limited basis. But this is a great time for people to explore America.”