Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Low target backstop

What are you all using as backstop for low targets where you shoot into the deck?

Our range is hardpan and we've used tires to prop sandbags but that's getting old and often difficult to account for all directions of fire.

I've seen some videos that seem to show some type of rubber mat but don't have any details about it.

Something with a decent lifespan would be great.

Our local range mandates that all shots must hit the berm - not too

low, and not too high.

For USPSA matches, where we do shoot "into the deck", we dig

a hole, and have a mini-berm behind each target that is low.

Tires can be a problem with retaining water (mosquito breeding

and ricochets).   But, dirt seems to work pretty well.    :) 

We buy the cheapest bag of topsoil from Home Depot and use it as our backstop. It’s about $1.67 a bag. We placed bags of topsoil behind the targets to prevent the rounds from digging up the dirt.

The local range uses what appears to be rubber mats and blocks. A quick Google search for rubber bullet stop shows a few companies that make them.

I'm sure they aren't cheap, but maybe see if you could get rubber mulch or something along those lines.

We use rubber regrind sheets, the stuff we use I got from work as rem, but it is not to hard to come by, the stuff we use is 1/4" thick, its pretty heavy and it holds up pretty well. 

the first match I used it on I got to the stage about 60 shooters into the match and was at first disappointed, it looked like the bullets must have been missing it because I didn't see a bunch of holes in it, then I picked it up and saw the hole that the bullets were digging under it and figured out they were going through just not making much in the way of holes. 

I will say this stuff is heavy and after a few years of using them every other month or so some are pretty ragged, I have them cut down a bit now and just lay out however many I need to cover the expected impact zones.