Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 1301 Comp Pro Misfeed

Caedes

New gun, maybe 300 rounds.  Probably 75 slugs or so and the rest is bird shot.  Running Fiocchi 7/8 oz target loads and JM 3gun loads.

Jammed on me twice today within about 5 shells.  The shell didn't feed all the way and caught the edge and jammed.

I was shooting pretty fast, running speed drills and target transitions at 10 yards.  I shouldn't need to clean it yet...  too hot from rapid firing?  Just doesn't like Fiocchi JM 3gun loads?  Needs an action job/polish?

This is my first semi-auto shotgun...  a bit concerned considering what I paid.

Thoughts?

Try it with different ammo.  For matches when it's cold or damp, I run 1-1/8oz Winchester AA 7.5 shot Super-Handicap 1250fps or Heavy Target 1200fps or the Remington Nitro equivalent.  The rest of the time I run Winchester AA 1-1/8oz 7.5 shot Light Target 1145fps or the Remington STS equivalent. I sometimes use Fiocchi , the cheap Walmart Winchester  or Remington Gun Club for practice, but the sharp edged crimp and softer material of the hull can cause feed problems like yours.  Without some modification to the gas system spring, the 1301 won't generally run 1oz shot loads under 1300fps.  The Fiocchi 7/8oz low recoil slugs have been flawless and shoot to POA.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 1:46 PM, Ming the Merciless said:

Try it with different ammo.  For matches when it's cold or damp, I run 1-1/8oz Winchester AA 7.5 shot Super-Handicap 1250fps or Heavy Target 1200fps or the Remington Nitro equivalent.  The rest of the time I run Winchester AA 1-1/8oz 7.5 shot Light Target 1145fps or the Remington STS equivalent. I sometimes use Fiocchi , the cheap Walmart Winchester  or Remington Gun Club for practice, but the sharp edged crimp and softer material of the hull can cause feed problems like yours.  Without some modification to the gas system spring, the 1301 won't generally run 1oz shot loads under 1300fps.  The Fiocchi 7/8oz low recoil slugs have been flawless and shoot to POA.

Thanks for the reply.  The slugs are 7/8 ounce.  All the bird shot is 1 1/8 ounce 7.5.  But it is all Fiocchi.

The softer case and sharper crimp could definitely be the issue.  That's exactly where its hanging up.

It could be the welded end of the new Pro style carrier.....

On the original 1301 carrier there is a crescent shape that centralizes the round as it is presented to the chamber. 

With the crescent welded, the round isn't centralized & if it steps out towards the ejection port can hang up on the cut out where the extractor goes when the bolt is locked into a firing position.

To test? Find an original carrier (borrow from someone who has an early model gun?), swap it out with the one in the pro & use the ammo you know fails with the current set up.

If the edge of the extractor cut (leading into the chamber) is sharp you should ever so slightly polish off the sharp edge.

Do not remove a lot metal and expose too much of the shell rim – just round off the sharp edge

• 4 weeks later...

My first gen COMP would jam every now and then. The solution was to put more oil in it. Whenever it gets dry it will jam. I add oil no matter how dirty and it runs fine. I actually ran 1k rounds through it without cleaning over a period of a few months to see if adding oil solved the problem. It did. Add oil and shoot. She likes to be wet. 

On 5/30/2020 at 5:10 AM, GunCat said:

If the edge of the extractor cut (leading into the chamber) is sharp you should ever so slightly polish off the sharp edge.

Do not remove a lot metal and expose too much of the shell rim – just round off the sharp edge

This is 100% the answer, I have seen several 1301, including mine, with sharp chamber edge, it takes very little to break that edge i do it to all new competition shotguns when I get them.

• 1 year later...

I am a Firearms instructor, Veteran and Licensed armorer now working in Saudi Arabia helping teach and launching a new range program for civilians and we are using the 1301 as our main gun on the Trap lanes... and here's been our issue.  

1.  Cracks in the Barrel Assy, in the aluminum feed ramp/block the barrel is threaded into.  We probably run about 3 to 4 hundred rounds per night, 7 days a week, thru these guns and they are cleaned every night, but I can tell you from experience... having third and host country nationals operating as RSO's, there are a lot of issues with getting people to drop their old ways and adopt new... like cleaning.  These guns get uber hot on the lanes some night and we've experienced 4 cracked assemblies in one week.  What I noticed is the barrel is backing out of its seat just enough that the bolt is slamming into the feed ramp on the chamber and that is likely our issue.  We've been in touch with Beretta USA and Italy, and they say these are self cleaning guns... but just like my oven at home, "self cleaning" means S$#^ to me, you still gotta get in and clean out that carbon build up.  

2. the Loading tube plug is made of a thin gauge aluminum and and we are also noticing that these become worn quickly, causing the plug to Protrude 2mm farther than normal, causing issues with feeding and extraction as the trap door gets hung up on the plug. 

Has anyone else been experiencing these issues with the 1301 Comp?  

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just a heads-up: tried BASCHIERI & PELLAGRI 12 GAUGE COMPETITION ONE 1OZ 2-3/4'' 1160 FPS #7.5 ammo this weekend - it is softest ammo I ever used BUT it wont cycle my 1301 comp pro. Went back to Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics Target Load, 12 Gauge, 2.75", 1 1/8 oz, #8 which worked for 250 rounds so far

Yes, I love 1oz 1160-1180 FPS birdshot in my regular 1301 Comp. My Comp Pro was much more picky, I swapped the recoil damper out of the stock and it now also runs case after case of 1oz low FPS shells. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/11/2022 at 11:28 AM, MatroskinT said:

Just a heads-up: tried BASCHIERI & PELLAGRI 12 GAUGE COMPETITION ONE 1OZ 2-3/4'' 1160 FPS #7.5 ammo this weekend - it is softest ammo I ever used BUT it wont cycle my 1301 comp pro. Went back to Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics Target Load, 12 Gauge, 2.75", 1 1/8 oz, #8 which worked for 250 rounds so far

Update: after approximately 600/700 rounds tried to run B&P shells again (right after knockdown match) and to my surprise it cycled 7 rounds one by one without problems. Will have to try it on the next match.

On 10/11/2022 at 7:48 PM, TonytheTiger said:

My non-Pro will cycle those 1oz 1160's all day. 

Copy that.  Cheryl got a new 1301 comp.  First thing we did was run a box of 10z 1185 #9 thru it to see if I need to respring it.  Runs fine.

On 5/16/2020 at 11:36 PM, Caedes said:

New gun, maybe 300 rounds.  Probably 75 slugs or so and the rest is bird shot.  Running Fiocchi 7/8 oz target loads and JM 3gun loads.

Jammed on me twice today within about 5 shells.  The shell didn't feed all the way and caught the edge and jammed.

I was shooting pretty fast, running speed drills and target transitions at 10 yards.  I shouldn't need to clean it yet...  too hot from rapid firing?  Just doesn't like Fiocchi JM 3gun loads?  Needs an action job/polish?

This is my first semi-auto shotgun...  a bit concerned considering what I paid.

Thoughts?

Every auto shotgun I've delt with needed the extractor notch rounded to prevent an average (or worse) crimp from catching.  AA's and their perfect crimps are not an issue, but normal aka Walmart shells need a little help.

how much help - look at the step down on the rest of the chamber edge  and match that on the extractor cut edge.