Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newer X5 Legion factory drilled for Trijicon - screws?

NCJammer

I picked up a late model X5 Legion that comes factory drilled to fit Trijicon dots.

I am going to run the SRO I took off my other pistol but when I tried to mount it today the stock screws that came with the Trijicon didn’t fit the X5 Legion.

I called Sig and the rep said the screw spec is M4 x.7 x 8.5mm T15 head. I think the ones that came with the SRO are 6 x 1/2 or something.

Where is the best place to get these screws? Call Trijicon or call sig back? If I find some at Lowe’s or HD is the metal strong enough not to shear off etc?

Also, I saw a YouTube video today where a guy had the SRO mounted directly to the X5 Legion and he was getting stove pipes since the cases were bouncing off the glass and back into the chamber. Has anyone else experienced this?

they have m4x.7 screw in small quantities and various lengths at the national chain home centers.  I am unable to say anything good or bad about the quality.    When I was struggling to keep my DPP attached to my CZ's, I ended up doing some experimentation with longer ones, so bought a bunch from McMaster Carr, but you have to buy in quantity (100).   On the face of it, sounds wasteful, but you really aren't spending that much money.

So here’s an update to anyone trying to do the same thing I am. I went to Lowe’s this morning and was able to find some M4 screws just like the Sig rep told me. Got home and tried them in the factory Trijicon holes and they aren’t even close to fitting, way too big. The M4 screws fit perfectly in the other two hole patterns though but the Trijicon holes are noticeably smaller. Will go back later today to get some M3 screws and see if those fit. Will post an update later.

Edited by NCJammer

What I would do in this case :

1) Find a "full service" hardware store.

They are still around.

2) Bring the bare slide in and have "Joe Bolts" find your screws for you.

Pro Tip:

Every Full Service hardware store has a "Joe Bolts".

And they love doing their job, especially one like this.

15 hours ago, DirectDrive said:

What I would do in this case :

1) Find a "full service" hardware store.

They are still around.

2) Bring the bare slide in and have "Joe Bolts" find your screws for you.

Pro Tip:

Every Full Service hardware store has a "Joe Bolts".

And they love doing their job, especially one like this.

This

On 5/17/2020 at 8:37 AM, rowdyb said:

This

I ordered some 6-40 x 1/2” screws online earlier in the week and they showed up today and they fit perfectly. Going to run it tomorrow and see how it works. Why they make the screw holes mystery size is beyond me and the sig instruction manual is out of date that came with the pistol.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, George16 said:

Get some Bondhus or Swiss tools Allen wrenches. You won’t strip them. I had been using them in maintaining my RC buggies and truggies.  

I used a pretty good snap on set, removing them is the problem. After they’ve been on for awhile and loctited they strip super easy. After having to drill a couple out, I started using some heat by default, and that made it much easier. 

I see.

Did you use the 12.9 grade screws? Never strip any of those grade 12.9 screws and I used them in the suspension of my racing buggies and truggies. They’re constantly covered in clay mud too.

10 hours ago, George16 said:

I see.

Did you use the 12.9 grade screws? Never strip any of those grade 12.9 screws and I used them in the suspension of my racing buggies and truggies. They’re constantly covered in clay mud too.

I'm not sure actually. The same sized screw head is used in the springer precision plate for the SRO. The screws I purchased to direct mount the SRO had the same head stamp of YFS, so I assume they are the same manufacturer with the same problems.

The manufacturer specs don't actually list the grade...

- Monster Bolts - Official Monster-Bolts Fastener Store 
This listing is for #6-40 Flat Head Socket Cap Screws. These are new Alloy Steel screws with Thermal Black Oxide coating and use a Hex (Allen) key drive. 

Diameter : #6 
Thread Size / Pitch : 40 TPI - Fine 
Type : Flat Head Socket Cap Screws
System of Measurement : US/Inch 
Material : Alloy Steel w Thermal Black Oxide 
Specifications : ASTM F835 - Countersunk 82° Head (Standard) 

Edited by Rich406

YFS is a trademark of a Chinese company making those screws. Alloy steel screws are normally grade A, C, 2, 5, and 8. These grades are significantly softer compared to grade 10.9 or 12.9. I only use grade 12.9 and bought screws for my RC from boltdepot.com.

Sorry for the threadjack. Back to our regular programming.

• 3 weeks later...