Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Well looks like Mark 7 / Lyman have some new Competition. Excited to see what this brings about (Dillon buys Ammobot)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It already seemed they were in bed. Now it looks like it’s official. 

Dillon is still way behind.

Anyone ever see the Brady Bunch Movie? You know the scene when they fire Mr Brady for not having an original design in years? All his designs looked like his house.

That is what a lot of companies do. They keep re-engineering the same design rather starting fresh. Dillon did that with 1100. 

While customers are voting with their dollars for a press with more stations and more features, Dillon just beefed up the 1050 Super but went back to smoothness of old 1050. 

I hope they keep some new blood. Ammobot has a lot of cool things. Folks who engineered those are thinking in different ways.

just my opinion and yes, I compared Dillon to Mr Brady and happy hour hasn’t even started!

Edited by DJRyan13

Anyone ever see the Brady Bunch Movie? You know the scene when they fire Mr Brady for not having an original design in years? All his designs looked like his house.

That is what a lot of companies do. They keep re-engineering the same design rather starting fresh. Dillon did that with 1100. 

While customers are voting with their dollars for a press with more stations and more features, Dillon just beefed up the 1050 Super but went back to smoothness of old 1050. 

I hope they keep some new blood. Ammobot has a lot of cool things. Folks who engineered those are thinking in different ways.

just my opinion and yes, I compared Dillon to Mr Brady and happy hour hasn’t even started!

This is gross I’m too young to really know Brady bunch references

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, mikey_golds said:

This is gross I’m too young to really know Brady bunch references

omg... I was thinking the movie was made recently... fudge it was 1995!!! Dang I am old.

3 hours ago, DJRyan13 said:

, I compared Dillon to Mr Brady and happy hour hasn’t even started!

Holy crap accurate as heck, and funny.  I think prices will probably go up.

I'm actually a little bit sad to hear this although I will be hopeful it will all work out.

I kind of liked Ammobot being the little guy who had created a bit of a cult like atmosphere surrounding the product.

Along with a bunch of like minded third party contributors, Immortalbot, etc.

Now they've been absorbed by the Borg.

2 hours ago, mayassa said:

Holy crap accurate as heck, and funny.  I think prices will probably go up.

you know this is true! Dillon doesn’t do discounts and sales. Ammobot did all the time. 

Since some of you might not know the reference in my Brady Bunch post above... Please watch link below. While this is funny, it should be taken serious as a warning. We all can learn from this mistake even if you aren’t designing things. Always good to think outside the box in everyday work. While it’s been a while since I have seen it.. I believe he gets fired in another scene. I am getting too old to remember what happened in crappy movies. 

https://youtu.be/P_Kk7FbOQSA

Edited by DJRyan13

That's insane [emoji15] if have already gotten my money back

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

And so far my interaction with CS has been top notch. I’m emailing now cause I still haven’t used my press (dies are no where in stock) if I can return my mechanical measure for digital and just pay the upcharge

21 minutes ago, chevrofreak said:

At least Mark7 is getting their presses to their customers.  I am at 8 months on my RL1100. 

Wow, I am surprised you are still waiting on it.  

And so far my interaction with CS has been top notch. I’m emailing now cause I still haven’t used my press (dies are no where in stock) if I can return my mechanical measure for digital and just pay the upcharge

Do they not sell them with the press from the factory?

1 minute ago, a_whole_lot_of_freedom said:

Do they not sell them with the press from the factory?

the dies? you can add a die pack with your order which i did was told 9mm will ship monday and .223 june ish. powder measures come with the press i didn't realize when i ordered how i would want automation due to my time value so i want to the digital since its way more accurate and you can put the grains on the tablet no manual babysitting and adjusting

the dies? you can add a die pack with your order which i did was told 9mm will ship monday and .223 june ish. powder measures come with the press i didn't realize when i ordered how i would want automation due to my time value so i want to the digital since its way more accurate and you can put the grains on the tablet no manual babysitting and adjusting
Yes the dies and yes automatic is the way to go if you shoot enough to justify the price.

1 hour ago, a_whole_lot_of_freedom said:

Yes the dies and yes automatic is the way to go if you shoot enough to justify the price.

yeah i did the dies lyman pro series. for the powder measure i did the mechanical but i really hope Misty and Anthony will take those back they never even had powder in em and let me  pay just the difference for the digital 

Dillon should have bought Mark7 - , that would have given them automation and cut out one of their competitors. They could use the innovation. They should have been incorporating some of the aftermarket upgrades that most everyone does into revisions into the press. Thrust bearings, primer bearing plate on 550, primer cut-off switches on 650s, etc. And they never did. I'm glad to see the 750 and 1100 - but they're not exactly radical improvements. Mark7 keeps coming up with new stuff. Sensors, primer collators, refining and updating parts within their main press as they improve them.   One mans opinion anyway. 

But I think we can all agree - the competition is good, has brought new products to market for us. We've had more innovation in progressive presses in the last 5 years than I think we had in the 15 years before that.

4 minutes ago, mikey_golds said:

yeah i did the dies lyman pro series. for the powder measure i did the mechanical but i really hope Misty and Anthony will take those back they never even had powder in em and let me  pay just the difference for the digital 

Yeah, they should. They did for me on that and stacked to collator primer system. 

3 minutes ago, OptimiStick said:

Yeah, they should. They did for me on that and stacked to collator primer system. 

Crossing my fingers, did you need to send your press in for the primer system? I asked them whats there thoughts that system vs the new 500 dollar system they have coming out, i dont mind spending more for the one now not sure how you cut the price of something 2000 dollar and its just as good. 

how awesome is the digital are you really able to just type xx Grains and its perfect?

mine was going back anyway, so I had them swap the primer systems. actually, they ended up building me a whole new press and just included it on the new press, and I sent back the old press with stacked. That's not why the press exchange, but I took the advantage of having the primer upgraded since they were building a new core anway.

Unless there's a different digital - it doesn't work that way.  What you describe is what I thought it would be also, but it's not. You still control the volume the same way  - with a knob on a stem and a lock-ring. There's no read-out. But there's a micro-switch that the funnel needs to hit , when it does, there's a digital / electric motor that drives the the power throw. And there's a waggle so it dumps everything in the chamber, instead of just a straight open-close like the mechanical. So instead of the case/funnel pressing the powder-measure housing up and forcing the drum to open/close , there's a microswitch that activates a motor and they can make the motor do more than just open/close.  I think it's just basically so you can run it at high speed and get consistent throws. There's also a switch to set it from 3-stage to 2-stage. Honestly, I'm not even sure of the difference. I was just told keep it at 3-stage for pistol and 2-stage is for rifle. I only load pistol on it , so I've never done 2-stage.

Misty said the new primer system is an in-between. It doesn't hold the volume of the larger collator (I've had 500 in that one, no problem). The original is not going away, the new one is just a lower-cost option that sits between the regular collator and the stacked primer system. Aside from only having 100 primers, I was not a fan of the stacked primer system. I had a lot of jams and issues with it. The collator has been so much better. You do need to keep the ramp clean - I just run a pipe cleaner with alcohol on it to get rid of the dust every 4-5000 rounds. I get maybe 1 flipped primer in 300. Probably less. Without actual data/testing, it feels like its more prone to flipped primers when the bowl is near empty and the motor is still turned up relatively high. So if i'm emptying the bowl as I finish up a session, I turn the motor down as it clearing out primers. You don't need it up at 6 or 7 with only a few primers in there, but you do when you have 500. I've  had Evolution, Revolution, Stacked Primer, Collator primer, Mechanical Power throw, Digital Powder-throw. So I've kind of run the gamut with their presses. The only thing I never had was their plastic (hornady?) case feeder and I've always had MBF pro on it, though I do have regular MBFs on my Dillon 650 and 1100.

4 minutes ago, OptimiStick said:

mine was going back anyway, so I had them swap the primer systems. actually, they ended up building me a whole new press and just included it on the new press, and I sent back the old press with stacked. That's not why the press exchange, but I took the advantage of having the primer upgraded since they were building a new core anway.

Unless there's a different digital - it doesn't work that way.  What you describe is what I thought it would be also, but it's not. You still control the volume the same way  - with a knob on a stem and a lock-ring. There's no read-out. But there's a micro-switch that the funnel needs to hit , when it does, there's a digital / electric motor that drives the the power throw. And there's a waggle so it dumps everything in the chamber, instead of just a straight open-close like the mechanical. So instead of the case/funnel pressing the powder-measure housing up and forcing the drum to open/close , there's a microswitch that activates a motor and they can make the motor do more than just open/close.  I think it's just basically so you can run it at high speed and get consistent throws. There's also a switch to set it from 3-stage to 2-stage. Honestly, I'm not even sure of the difference. I was just told keep it at 3-stage for pistol and 2-stage is for rifle. I only load pistol on it , so I've never done 2-stage.

Misty said the new primer system is an in-between. It doesn't hold the volume of the larger collator (I've had 500 in that one, no problem). The original is not going away, the new one is just a lower-cost option that sits between the regular collator and the stacked primer system. Aside from only having 100 primers, I was not a fan of the stacked primer system. I had a lot of jams and issues with it. The collator has been so much better. You do need to keep the ramp clean - I just run a pipe cleaner with alcohol on it to get rid of the dust every 4-5000 rounds. I get maybe 1 flipped primer in 300. Probably less. Without actual data/testing, it feels like its more prone to flipped primers when the bowl is near empty and the motor is still turned up relatively high. So if i'm emptying the bowl as I finish up a session, I turn the motor down as it clearing out primers. You don't need it up at 6 or 7 with only a few primers in there, but you do when you have 500. I've  had Evolution, Revolution, Stacked Primer, Collator primer, Mechanical Power throw, Digital Powder-throw. So I've kind of run the gamut with their presses. The only thing I never had was their plastic (hornady?) case feeder and I've always had MBF pro on it, though I do have regular MBFs on my Dillon 650 and 1100.

interesting maybe there is a new digital powder measure in that video go to 3 min 40 seconds from this years shot show, he asks why digital, and she goes you type the grains on the tablet and it throws. 

I think i may spring for primer collator you got, im sure covid has thrown a hitch in the new system being released. so ill just mail my press back when they reach out to me to talk on monday