Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Legion Not Ejecting Brass

alien_pickles

I shot 300 rounds through my brand new X5 legion the other day and had 3 rounds not eject. I'm new to the Sig platform, so I'm not really sure how to go about correcting this. The brass isn't moving at all. It stays it the chamber and the slide returns to battery. Any thoughts?

43 minutes ago, alien_pickles said:

I'm hoping it's a break in thing, but I've heard various thoughts on whether guns really need broken in. I do actually have some of that ammo, so I'll run it all through the next time I'm at the range

I would ignore the gun forum goblins that say break-in is a myth.

Think of it this way, all the metal on metal contact areas are seeing contact for the first time.

Build a P80 and you will really get a Break-in education.

Most of the pistols I've ever had needed about 500 rounds through them before they started to smooth up, especially the CZ's. I clean them before the first firing, to remove the preservative lube, replacing it with lighter stuff. That being said, my p320 X5 legion ran beautifully out of the box with Federal 124 grn Nato loads. I'm thinking about how the extractor claw just drops into the slot on the slide, and the spring and follower for that; might be worth pulling those out and inspecting to make sure everything is lined up right, and there are no burrs or casting flaws. I haven't tried the lighter spring in mine, might be worth trying the heavier one. I generally run 147 grain pc reloads at around 130-135 pf using the heavier spring, and it is 100 %. 

I hope it sorts out easily for you, and that you get to enjoy your Legion at least as much as I have with mine. 

So are you saying the brass stays in the chamber when the slide goes to the rear? Does the slide pick up the next round in the mag and jam it into the one still in the chamber? If so i'd start with pulling the extractor and making sure it doesn't look damaged at all. Make sure the extractor plunger is installed correctly. 

Reloads or factory ammo? Are they loaded hot? The only time I've had brass stay in the chamber like I've described above was shooting over pressure ammo in a glock and the extractor couldn't pull the brass out.

Or is it extracting but not ejecting? Like a stove pipe? When you say "stays in the chamber" I just wanted to confirm what that means.

When you run out of ammo does the slide lock to the rear? If not that could be a sign the slide isn't fully cycling. If that happens the brass might not hit the ejector with enough force to kick it out of the ejection port. Hotter ammo, or lighter spring, or it might just need to loosen up with use since it's new. You could also confirm the ejector isn't bent and is making good contact with the brass.

Lots of speculation here. Much of it probably of no value.

We need to know more about the specifics of the problem, as others have asked, above.

• So are you saying the brass stays in the chamber when the slide goes to the rear? Does the slide pick up the next round in the mag and jam it into the one still in the chamber?
  • Or is it extracting but not ejecting? Like a stove pipe?
  • How is it that the slide returns to battery if there's a piece of spent brass still in the chamber?

I find that it's best not to start changing too many things chasing a problem. Those things may not solve the problem, but may create others.