Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 ACP primer size and revolvers

Ohioguy

At a point in time, I reloaded 45 acp, and never had to deal with small and large primer pockets.  Now, aparently, there is such a thing.  It's been awhile...

Revolvers, specifically a 625, fully stock right now.  Trigger job is down the road, but a sure thing.  Is there a benefit to using one or the other with revolvers?  I know federal primers are preferred for lighter trigger pulls, but does size matter?  😀

Looking at reloaders currently, haven't decided on a model yet, would appreciate some guidance.  Had a XL550, but hated it, primer issues.  Not dedicated to a brand, but leaning towards a 750, but would appreciate some feedback.

I use small primer .45ACP cases as it enables me to use one primer size for 9mm, .45ACP and .223/5.56.  I use Tula magnum small rifle primers for all three and this has worked out well for me.  I also only use one brand of case for each caliber, but, I don't shoot much competition any more so it is easy to do when you are mostly shooting at targets or varmints.

I did not consider the crossover between 45 and 9mm with Same primer size.  Something to think about if/when I start loading 9mm.

I am wondering if smaller primers would lend themselves to better ignition due to smaller surface area-less metal to deform in the cup, therefore more energy to compress the anvil.  Maybe it's the other way around, I don't know. 

I think I am getting way into the weeds here, as I am just starting back up, so a super light trigger pull and primer ignition should be very far outof my mind at this moment.  But I threw it out there for discussion.  

6 hours ago, Steve RA said:

I use small primer .45ACP cases as it enables me to use one primer size for 9mm, .45ACP and .223/5.56.  I use Tula magnum small rifle primers for all three and this has worked out well for me.  I also only use one brand of case for each caliber, but, I don't shoot much competition any more so it is easy to do when you are mostly shooting at targets or varmints.

I do the same thing.

In fact, I did a chrono test between two same load of 4.8 Gr Bullseye @ 1.250” OAL using Federal SPP/Federal SP brass on one side and Federal LPP/Federal LP brass on the other and velocity was almost identical.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Indy574 said:

It does make it convenient and streamlines the process, but it your already swapping out tool heads what’s a few more minutes to swap out the primer system.  

not sure what press you have, but on my Dillon 550m toolhead top end is super easy if you have extra powder measures already set up. Primer though is a royal PIA swapping, and dang shore isnt a few minutes to get it right and adjusted and priming smoothly. So much so I am seriously considering a second press JUST so I dont have to do it again

Edited by Joe4d

5 hours ago, Joe4d said:

not sure what press you have, but on my Dillon 550m toolhead top end is super easy if you have extra powder measures already set up. Primer though is a royal PIA swapping, and dang shore isnt a few minutes to get it right and adjusted and priming smoothly. So much so I am seriously considering a second press JUST so I dont have to do it again

Hey Joe,

I’m running the Dillon 550. I don’t have much trouble with the swap. I have on occasion swapped just the cup before and used the same slide. You may try that and see how it goes.