Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

popular 1911 single stack magwells

JD45

My old competition 1911 has a S&A magwell with the mainspring housing attached.

I'm getting a Springfield range officer and would like to know if anyone these days is making one better or close to the S&A?

I don't want a huge funnel,  just one that you could street carry too (IDPA legal).  Plus, one that works well without blending would be great. My S&A does ok, but it really should be blended a lot.

Also, when you swap out a springfield mainspring housing, is the stupid safety lock completely gone?

Nighthawk make a one-piece that's similar to the Chen.  It's top quality, but expensive.  I have one on a single stack .40 and it's very nice.  Here's a link.  If you check some of their finished guns you can see what it looks like installed.

On 5/14/2020 at 11:29 PM, JD45 said:

Wow, that thing looks preblended!  I'll pay that in a minute if its as good as it looks.

Anyone on here have one? Feedback would be great.

You will have to do an awful lot of fitting and blending on any of Stan Chen's magwell/MSH, even the supposedly drop in unit.  It took me 90 minutes of sanding and filing just to get it to fit properly on the gun.  That being said, I love mine.  BTW, it will not work with a Cheely Custom GS.  It works fine with an EGW/JEM.

Edited by zzt

• 4 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, HCH said:

Techwell

This is the way to go if you think you might ever want to compete seriously.  You can get a couple sizes and swap from street to match in under a minute if you want.

Same with the Dawson ICE and IPSC versions, but they are a little larger.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I used a Stan Chen “SI” mag well and the fit is perfect no gap between frame 

and magwell no sharp edges just looks like it was fitted from factory, by the way 

the gun is a RO Operator In 9mm. Plus you’ll get a bag of m & m’ s. Michael 

• 2 weeks later...