Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun - 4x4 Shell Carriers still made and in style?

Back in 2013 I bought a pair of AP Customs 4x4 Shell Carriers.  These were available in 4x4, 3x3, and 4 single stack if I remember correctly. Looking online now the closest thing I can find is a holder from Safariland, and the AP Customs are discontinued.

Have these types of Carriers fallen completely out of favor due to Load2 and Load4?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017859884

I still use mine for backup rounds and slugs sometimes. It is always in my pack-up and still has a place is huge round-count shotgun stages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I kept mine because sometimes having shotgun caddies that you can go prone with and not lose all your shells is a big enough advantage to make it worthwhile.

Also a good secure way to segregate ammo where speed of loading isn't paramount.

Quad loading is much faster and is primarily how I keep my shotgun fed but I'm going to hang onto my old 4x4s.  Heck I still have some of my old california competeition works plastic 4 shell caddies.  And use them occasionally.

I kept mine because sometimes having shotgun caddies that you can go prone with and not lose all your shells is a big enough advantage to make it worthwhile.

Also a good secure way to segregate ammo where speed of loading isn't paramount.

Quad loading is much faster and is primarily how I keep my shotgun fed but I'm going to hang onto my old 4x4s.  Heck I still have some of my old california competeition works plastic 4 shell caddies.  And use them occasionally.

It is fun beating people that have the latest and greatest equipment...while I am using stuff that is ancient 3-gun stuff...

I learned a long time ago that my equipment is seldom the primary factor that affects my score....haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I still keep a pair of the old "Man Mountain" 4 rd holders on my belt. Im still learning the "New" methods with my "Kings" shell holder and quite often my old reliable 4 rounders save the day. Lol

I have some of the 4X4 AP customs shell carriers that I use depending upon the stage ammo requirements- slugs, buckshot, etc and position- prone, etc. They are still very useful.

• 1 year later...