Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass Shaving?

I'm sending in my old 650 to have it rebuilt and just moved over to and started using my new 650. I'm noticing lot more brass shaving than I used to seeing..Am I missing something with my setup? It's showing up on the plate and in the ammo catch box...trying ti figure out what I'm missing...loading for 9 major, Dillon Dies with Lee Usize..

tray.jpg

usually this starts at the flair /powder drop,  not always. 

scraping happens at the seating die ,deposits at the crimp.

Edited by AHI

My 550 started doing this when I switched to the EGW(Lee) undersized die.  I think it’s more like dust than shavings.   If it bothers you, maybe true a different sizing die and see if it goes away.   That is the only thing on mine that changed.  

Some of my brass I wet tumble before loading, some I load dirty. The clean brass is much more prone to having the brass "hair" than the dirty brass. I think it's because during the the tumbling process, the case mouth has some peening. When the clean brass is crimped, the peened edges are shaved off. 

I'm sending in my old 650 to have it rebuilt and just moved over to and started using my new 650. I'm noticing lot more brass shaving than I used to seeing..Am I missing something with my setup? It's showing up on the plate and in the ammo catch box...trying ti figure out what I'm missing...loading for 9 major, Dillon Dies with Lee Usize..
tray.jpg.578a4e55b0b3031d5a8bb85ea2603399.jpg

Try using a different sizing die, i’m sure the shaving is cause by u-die.

Some of my brass I wet tumble before loading, some I load dirty. The clean brass is much more prone to having the brass "hair" than the dirty brass. I think it's because during the the tumbling process, the case mouth has some peening. When the clean brass is crimped, the peened edges are shaved off. 

I have come to this same exact conclusion. I get more dust when using the Hornady crimp die which I can tel is shaving the peened edges of the brass, while my lee crimp die does not make as much dust, but I also have more rounds fail my case gauge and using the sharpie w/ plunk and spin method shows the case rim is creating the problem. To get the rounds to pass, the lee crimp die requires too much crimp while the Hornady just shaved the little bit off. YMMV, but that is the conclusion I have personally come to. This is also while loading oversized coated bullets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2020 at 1:25 PM, falconpilot said:

tray.jpg

I had a lot of this happening with coated Bullets. Mr.BulletFeeder by DAA Powder Funnel Fixed the issue. Also made it easier to set the bullet on the case.