Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 22 for limited Good,Bad or Ugly?

GARD72977

I'm thinking about buying a lightened  Rock slide and a KKM barrel to go on my Production 17 frame.

I have the Holster , Mags and Magwell already..

I'm wanting to start shooting again. I'm hoping going to limited would spark my interest. I usually shoot very well but screw up executing a complicated production stage plan

Any opinions about about shooting the 22 in limited. 

Edited by GARD72977

Run whatever you want. Most will probably suggest getting a G35 ( at the very least) due to longer sight radius etc, but really it’s all about whatever gets you into having fun in the sport.
Years ago I started shooting USPSA with a stock 1st Gen G17, and then moved on to a G22 with nothing more than a (-) connector in it.
So shoot whatever you like, and then move on to a different model/platform if your interests take you in that direction later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be willing to bet you can find a g22 police trade in or a 35 pretty cheap. When I’ve looked into top ends, I’m usually within $100 of a full Glock, so I’d say just get a whole gun. 

As far as the Glock for a limited gun goes, I think you’d be just fine with it. Add Good sights, some trigger work (I like the TTI GM kit and an overtravel stop), a magwell and a frame weight if you want it, and get to shooting. 

Although it's not my primary division, I shoot a police trade in G22. Magwell,  springs, and sights. That's it. You don't need a race gun to have fun in limited, especially in a case like mine where I dabble a couple times per year.

• 2 months later...

Hello: Here is something you may consider if you want to shoot limited. Use your Glock 17 and shoot limited minor. Get some Magpul 21 round magazines, 4 should be enough. That way you can shoot most stages with just one mag change and concentrate on the shooting not on the mag changes. I tell alot of shooters to do this since it just makes it easier to shoot a stage. I have shot matches with a Glock 22 and also a 35. Both are not the best unless you add weight and use heavier bullets. Factory ammo is not pleasant to shoot in either one. Thanks, Eric

I’m about to shoot Limited Major with my Glock 22 Gen 4 police trade in. Shot my first USPSA match with it in Limited Major a year ago and then got the exact advice you received regarding Limited Minor. So, after that first match, I shelved the Glock 22, and broke out my Glock 17, and later M&P 2.0 and shot 9mm in Limited Minor for the next several months. I then bought a Shadow 2 and moved to Production.

Now, I want to try Limited again. So, I’ve made the following changes to the Glock 22: Warren sights, Ghost 3.5 connector, and Dawson basepads. On the way are a Thug Plug, and a stainless steel guide rod. I went with the grip plug over a magwell because I only added basepads to two of my magazines and I want to have the regular 15 round mags available for reloads. This is also my nightstand pistol and I don’t want to run the basepads for home defense.

The sights with a fiber optic front were a big plus over the Glock night sights that were on this pistol. The Ghost 3.5 connector, IMO, was not a big upgrade over the OEM connector. The plug and guiderod are really just to add some weight to the pistol.

I shot the G22 back to back last weekend along with my Shadow 2, and well.... I’ll say it leaves a lot to be desired in comparison. The upgrades should help, particularly the sights and basepads, but the G22 is not going to be competitive compared to heavier pistols with better triggers. The 2011’s, CZ’s, and Tanfo’s will be easier to shoot faster and get back on target faster. But, I’m doing this for fun and to experiment in the Limited division to see if I want to shoot Limited over Production. I’ll probably shoot the Glock 22 in Limited twice per month at indoor matches, and continue to shoot the Shadow 2 in Production at outdoor matches. 

If I decide to stick with Limited long-term, I’m sure it won’t be with the G22.

Back from the range. Shot my Glock22 Gen 4 with the Thug Plug. Only 2.3 oz but really stabilized the gun. This pistol shoots on par or better than my Glock 17 Gen 5.

It made such a difference that I’ll probably end up getting a heavier magwell in place of the plug.