Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need assistance choosing competition rig for CZ TSO

Kidfixer

Im looking for a competition style holster and belt for my new TSO.  I would prefer a company that doesnt have a 30-day build time (like Red Hill Tactical), but perhaps all the competition holsters are like that??  

What Im mostly confused about are all the options.  For instance, the RHT website has 13 different attachment options (QLS pattern, WarLok loops, etc, etc)...and I have no idea what ANY of them are.  Also, they ask about "retention options" and "Nitro Fins"...again, no clue.  Unfortunately my holster experience thus far has been limited to EDC. 

Is there anywhere I can go to see what the Hell they are talking about??  I'm not sure if Im ever going to actually shoot in a competition, but I want to have a range holster anyway, and I'm a buy-once-cry-once kinda guy.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, I think you're kind of stuck waiting on a holster. The TSO isn't a terribly common platform outside of the competition community, and even there, the raw numbers aren't terribly high. There aren't many off-the-shelf holsters that will fit. There may be some "universal" holsters out there that will work - the only one I've tried is the Safariland 579, which is a mixed bag. The gun fits in the holster fine, but drawing will almost always press the magazine release against part of the holster, which unseats the mag. So, you're probably stuck buying a custom holster of some sort. You might want to check some of the competition-oriented shops (Ben Stoeger Pro Shop, Shooter's Connection, etc.); some of them might have a few pre-made TSO holsters from the major custom dealers in stock.

Holsters have gotten complicated enough that it's really difficult to try to explain everything about them in a succinct manner. But I can try to take a stab at some of your specific questions:

• Attachment options: There are a ton of different attachment methods for tactical and competition holsters these days. Basically, instead of having belt loops or what have you directly molded into the holster, the holster has holes drilled into it to accept a certain type of mounting system. Some of the options that you listed really are complicated "systems" in and of themselves - without getting too far into the weeds here, there's a piece that you bolt on to a holster, and a corresponding piece that is mounted to a belt; the idea is that you can use a single "receptacle" mounted on a single belt to accommodate different holsters, which is a nice feature if you plan to ever shoot different sports or divisions. Google "Safariland QLS" or "G-Code RTI" for some examples that will show what those are. Because nothing can be simple, most of those attachment systems have different patterns of screws that they use for the mount, so you have to specify which pattern you want to use if you're planning to use a specific attachment system. If you don't think that you'd need to swap which holster you have on your belt regularly, you can just order belt loops or a drop/offset adapter that will come pre-installed on the holster.
  • You've probably seen the "retention options" if you've used a kydex EDC holster - usually, this will be a couple of screws just below the molded outline of the barrel that you can tighten or loosen to adjust the degree of retention (i.e., how tightly the holster "grips" the gun). The options on the RHT order form are to leave those as standard phillips-head screws that you need a screw driver to adjust or thumb screws that you can adjust by hand. Beyond that, the options are mostly for different materials/finishes of the thumb screw, mostly for aesthetic purposes.
  • The "nitrofin" is a brand of thumb rest that is mounted on the frame of the gun. Obviously, since it's a thing sticking off the side of the gun, it needs to be accounted for in the design of a holster, so... yeah. Select that if you use that type of thumb rest.

20 hours ago, Steve133 said:

<snip>

• The "nitrofin" is a brand of thumb rest that is mounted on the frame of the gun. Obviously, since it's a thing sticking off the side of the gun, it needs to be accounted for in the design of a holster, so... yeah. Select that if you use that type of thumb rest.

Thank you VERY much for your detailed explanation, I really appreciate you taking the time to help a noob like me.

The TSO comes with a factory thumb rest I've heard referred to as a "kickstand". I'm not sure If I need to choose Nitrofin to accomodate it, but I guess I can reach out to RHT to confirm.  Its also my understanding that not all holsters are legal for all competitions. Im going to assume that since the TSO is only legal in Open or Limited, that a rig made specifically for that pistol will be completely legal for those divisions??

Edited by Kidfixer
TYPO

Don’t use the nitro fin choice setup if you’re using the stock thumbrest. Instead choose, “TS Orange with thumbrest (no left hand). This is the appropriate choice for a TSO with the stock thumbrest. 

If you choose the Nitrofin option, you’ll be dremeling some material for the stock thumbrest to slide into. The stock thumbrest is more forward in the gun (so goes in deeper into the holster) compared to the nitro fin. 

I made a mistake of choosing the nitro fin option 2 years ago so I sold it to a friend who have a TS and reordered another using the “TS Orange with thumbrest” option and works great with mine. No dremeling needed at all.

Here are some pics of my TSO and RHT holster. I was also using CZ Customs multioptic mount to mount an RMR and a Shooters Connection slide racker.

3487768-B-1-CD1-4-EB6-9-F88-574-D282257-

E1971-CA3-F455-48-CC-A6-F3-E08-B095-C478

Choose the Bladetech mounting pattern.  It is by far the most common pattern.  Don't waste your money buying the drop offset hanger that they offer with the Red Hill holsters.  If you don't choose some kind of belt mount you'll have to buy your own.

I tried several holsters for tso with thumb rest and by far the best is my Longs Shadow. The way they accomodate the rest is superior and the holster fit is better than the others. Issue is going to be the wait, they take a long time, sometimes even longer than they quote.

20190226_142832_resized_1.jpg

5 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

This one is what I use as well, no issues with the thumb rest:

tumblr_osj8yq9Mua1tecnljo1_1280.jpg

*Image from Google

And it has absolute retention with the lock applied. No way it will ever fall out...you will give yourself an atomic wedgie trying to draw the gun with the lock on. With the lock off, all it has is a small click to draw.

Another advantage is, if you sell the TSO, or want to use a different gun, it can be adjusted to just about any handgun out there. The cost is a fair bit more than a kydex holster, but, you never have to buy another holster if you switch guns. Downside is, it does take a bit of time to get set up for each gun.

11 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

*Image from Google

I notice your CZ frame is stainless.  Mine has the baked-on finish.  Do those type of holsters quickly rub the polycoat off the trigger guard?   I mean, I know the gun is gonna get dinged-up, its not a safe queen...just wondering if finish wear happens faster given the smaller surface area that's actually holding the pistol.

Edited by Kidfixer

5 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Another advantage is, if you sell the TSO, or want to use a different gun, it can be adjusted to just about any handgun out there. The cost is a fair bit more than a kydex holster, but, you never have to buy another holster if you switch guns. Downside is, it does take a bit of time to get set up for each gun.

Good food for thought, may be a worthwhile investment then.  Thanks, mate.

On 5/13/2020 at 8:43 AM, George16 said:

Don’t use the nitro fin choice setup if you’re using the stock thumbrest. Instead choose, “TS Orange with thumbrest (no left hand). This is the appropriate choice for a TSO with the stock thumbrest. 

Thanks you for the detailed photos, sir.

13 hours ago, inertia said:

I tried several holsters for tso with thumb rest and by far the best is my Longs Shadow. T

I will check those out as well.  Thanks

11 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

*Image from Google

I run this same holster for USPSA but not for 3gun.  I have 2 of the heads so I can leave the belt end attached and switch between CZ and STI guns.

1 hour ago, Kidfixer said:

I notice your CZ frame is stainless.  Mine has the baked-on finish.  Do those type of holsters quickly rub the polycoat off the trigger guard?   I mean, I know the gun is gonna get dinged-up, its not a safe queen...just wondering if finish wear happens faster given the smaller surface area that's actually holding the pistol.

Kydex wears it off just as fast

3 hours ago, Kidfixer said:

So what holster do you use for 3-gun...and is there a specific purpose for using a different holster for 3-gun?

524286878_image3(34).JPG.c0f4d4c73eaf997091c30054d012f529.JPG

Currently for sale here on Benos since I'm switching to my TSO w/thumbrest and have a new one being built.  This one is for a regular TS/TSO with no thumbrest.  This is a Red Hill Tactical Level II holster.  They are about $150 when ordered new.

• 9 months later...
On 5/13/2020 at 8:43 AM, George16 said:

George, I have a TSO inbound to me and I have a question regarding the CZ Customs multi optic mount. Can the stock thumb rest be bolted onto this mount or do I need to get the mount with the integral thumb rest?

Here are some pics of my TSO and RHT holster. I was also using CZ Customs multioptic mount to mount an RMR and a Shooters Connection slide racker.

3487768-B-1-CD1-4-EB6-9-F88-574-D282257-

E1971-CA3-F455-48-CC-A6-F3-E08-B095-C478

Edited by Buford

27 minutes ago, Buford said:

Yes. The stock thumbrest can be bolted with the CZC multi optic mount. You just have to use two longer screws to accommodate the additional thickness of the multi optic mount.