Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hunter gold

wingnut

Frames are a little ugly, but the lenses are fantastic. I think the magic is in the prescription lenses (if you wear glasses). Apparently you can get custom cut lenses to fit other brand frames. I really like the yellow glass - can wear in a dark indoor range or outside in the bright sunlight, making them extremely versatile. A bit on the spendy side, but relative to the overall cost of the sport, and given what they protect, I think they are worth it. It doesn’t hurt that their customer service is outstanding either. So to break it down:

Cons:

-Cost

-Some ugly frames

Pros:

-Great customer service

-Can have custom cut for other frames

-Great for a variety of lighting conditions

-Very clear lenses

-Able to get prescription lenses

Overall, I recommend.

I have a Rx pair of Aviator frames for the last two years.  Happy to have real safety glasses with prescription lenses.  Mr. Conley (Owner) is a stand up guy and gives back a ton to the shooting sports.  

They will fit lenses to frames as long as they are not shields.  I've had them done for my Rudy Magsters.  They're excellent!!!  I'm likely going to get a pair of Oakleys fitted as well.  They're not cheap no matter how you get them, but I think they're worth it.

From the product to the company, it doesn't get any better. Brian gives back to the shooting community at a very high rate, and the lenses are awesome. I would be willing to bet that anyone you find wearing them at a match would let you try them out. You won't go wrong with them. 

I agree with nso123; simply the best all the way around. While their frames are more of a industrial safety type, the ranges around me are requiring side shields which are integrated in their industrial type frames. So it worked for me. (Using their RX custom type lenses. Dominant eye focused front sights and the non dominant eye focused on distance with small bifocal on the bottom of each lens.) I understand now they will fit their lenses to almost any user provided frame. 

The purchasing experience is second to none; best in the business.

Unfortunately, due to the whole COVID-19 issue, I have not have had time to put my pair through the crucible of competition, but they seem to work just practicing around home/dry fire. 

Go for it is my advice. 

3 hours ago, clw42 said:

They will fit lenses to frames as long as they are not shields.  I've had them done for my Rudy Magsters.  They're excellent!!!  I'm likely going to get a pair of Oakleys fitted as well.  They're not cheap no matter how you get them, but I think they're worth it.

Have you researched how much it would cost to have custom lenses for the Oakley Frames?  I intend to fill out their request, but curious if you have a price already quoted.

Thanks,

I got my Rudy lenses for $250, because I was a guinea pig.  I think I was one of the first to use the service without having a prescription.  However, Brian did mention that the normal price would be $369.  I'm not sure if that's changed or not.

They are great sunglasses. Got a pair for Christmas last year and so far they are the best glasses I have used. I know a lot of people thing the frames look funky but it doesn’t bother me at all. The lenses are the best I’ve tried I really like the transition lenses, at first they can be hard to adjust to on bright days but they quickly adjust to the dull sun light. However my favorite feature of the sunglasses is the adjustable ear pieces, I like the fact I can’t adjust them to sit higher above my ears for the cutout on the ear muffs. 

I won a pair at Area 6 MG last year off the prize table and I wear them all the time. Indoors and outdoors, bright sun or overcast and I don’t have to switch out sunglasses to clear glasses before I shoot like I used to have to. I just don’t like shooting in sunglasses through scopes as it sometimes changes contrast on targets, esp. long distance targets so I would do this switch of glasses. Now I just rock my Golds all day. They might not be the style that I want but I don’t have to worry about my eyes being protected or not being able to see. I always thought it crazy that some of are looking through optics that are thousands of dollars while we have a 25 cent piece of scratched up plastic between our eyes and the lens. Brian is a great guy and he always takes the time to speak to me on the range when I see him. 

17 hours ago, clw42 said:

I got my Rudy lenses for $250, because I was a guinea pig.  I think I was one of the first to use the service without having a prescription.  However, Brian did mention that the normal price would be $369.  I'm not sure if that's changed or not.

Sorry, a bit confused here.  Rudy lenses?  Are those the same as Hunters Gold?  When you refer to Rudy, are they Hunter Gold Lenses in Rudy Frames?

6 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Sorry, a bit confused here.  Rudy lenses?  Are those the same as Hunters Gold?  When you refer to Rudy, are they Hunter Gold Lenses in Rudy Frames?

Sorry for the confusion, Hunters Gold lenses for my Rudy frames.

1 hour ago, clw42 said:

Sorry for the confusion, Hunters Gold lenses for my Rudy frames.

Ah Cool.  Much appreciated for the info.  Will be interested to see if they can make them for my Oakley Frames.  I like everything I here about their lenses, but wow their frames look like the BCs they use to wear in the Navy.

I have been using Hunter's HD Gold a few years now. My first set Brian was kind enough to make me top bi-focals and they are a real game changer. Old eyes and red/green color blindness, HD Gold is the cure. I have 2 other sets of non prescription to loan out at matches so people can try them. I get nothing for it nor am I affiliated in any way, they just changed my shooting so much I like to let others see the difference.

• 9 months later...