Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P w/ Apex trigger problem

tk4

I have a M&P 1.0.  I have installed a Apex flat trigger, Apex threaded barrel, and PMM comp.

I am getting a dead trigger about once out of a hundred rounds.  Live round feeds, but no click or bang on trigger pull.  I can slightly pull the slide back to reset the trigger and fire the chambered round.  

Any ideas on what is causing this and how to fix?

49 minutes ago, tk4 said:

I have a M&P 1.0.  I have installed a Apex flat trigger, Apex threaded barrel, and PMM comp.

I am getting a dead trigger about once out of a hundred rounds.  Live round feeds, but no click or bang on trigger pull.  I can slightly pull the slide back to reset the trigger and fire the chambered round.  

Any ideas on what is causing this and how to fix?

What did Apex have to say about your problem?

How old is your 1.0?  Early guns had a very tiny sear return spring and plunger and these wouldn't always reset the sear after firing.  S&W soon changed the spring and plunger for larger diameter, stronger ones and that pretty much solved the problem. 

My early gun, purchased January 2007, had the small spring and plunger and a "dead trigger" was an occasional problem.  S&W sent me a revised sear block with the larger spring and plunger and the problem went away.

Yep. They borrowed the spring and plunger from their large frame .45 version and incorporated into a small frame sear block to solve the problem. Before USPSA shooters had a chance to make a (loud enough) stink about it, they had LE agencies reporting this, with potentially disastrous results. 

To give proper credit, S&W hadn't yet accepted there was a problem, or had any idea of an appropriate fix. Randy Lee at Apex was the one who properly diagnosed it and came up with the fix. For $50 you could send him your sear block and he'd drill it out for the larger spring and plunger. 

Sounds like it could be sear flutter, where the sear isn't catching the firing pin on reset. It could either be the sear spring is the wrong one(you're not supposed to use their competition sear spring with the FSS), the spring has gotten weak, or it's the sear itself. I had a similar issue and replacing the sear solved it.

I had the same issue. Old LEO trade in M&P9 1.0; installed Apex trigger but sear housing was old and small hole/spring. I bought this part (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004477881?pid=546264), swapped over Apex sear and removed the magazine safety parts. I had several 2 round bursts and dead trigger before installing the new sear housing (and I used the Apex sear spring as well).

Edited by Benevolence

Do this and while you are at it install an Apex RAM to give you a better reset feel.

On 5/13/2020 at 6:19 PM, Benevolence said:

I had the same issue. Old LEO trade in M&P9 1.0; installed Apex trigger but sear housing was old and small hole/spring. I bought this part (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004477881?pid=546264), swapped over Apex sear and removed the magazine safety parts. I had several 2 round bursts and dead trigger before installing the new sear housing (and I used the Apex sear spring as well).

Brownells