Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building a P320 from a stripped FCU?

I have noticed that stripped fire control units for the P320 are available on Gunbroker for very reasonable prices - typically under $20.  

If you were planning to replace the trigger parts and grip module from an X5 or regular P320 anyway, would it make more sense to build one as opposed to buying a stock pistol and replacing the parts? 

Red box?

Given low fcu pricing - are people making money buying new p320s and parting them out? If so is this due to poor sig part availability or high sig pricing?

Josh

3 hours ago, PocketPistol said:

Red box?

Slang for SIG CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) they come in a Red Box

Given low fcu pricing 

Complete FCU's are not exactly cheap. ($200 at the low end and up from there)

are people making money buying new p320s and parting them out?

No.

If so is this due to poor sig part availability or high sig pricing?

SIG parts are readily available and SIG (street) pricing is competetive.

3 hours ago, PocketPistol said:

I don't understand the $200 or so price difference between a stripped P320 FCU and a complete one with all the parts.  Obviously, the parts and the labor to assemble them cost money, but it seems like there shouldn't be much fine machining or hand fitting involved.  

It will be interesting to see what happens when more aftermarket parts become available.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ohvall said:

I don't understand the $200 or so price difference between a stripped P320 FCU and a complete one with all the parts.  Obviously, the parts and the labor to assemble them cost money, but it seems like there shouldn't be much fine machining or hand fitting involved.  

It will be interesting to see what happens when more aftermarket parts become available.

Apparently it is much, much easier to make the chassis than it is to make all the various parts.

Price out the parts and see for yourself.

The part numbers are hotlinked....click on the part numbers...

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/sig-sauer-p320/parts.html

JSD, the 80% people are gouging bad, in my opinion.

We need some competition in that arena...JSD is IT and they are milking it for all it's worth before other companies kick the door in.

Edited by DirectDrive
On 5/10/2020 at 11:46 AM, PocketPistol said:

Red box?

Given low fcu pricing - are people making money buying new p320s and parting them out? If so is this due to poor sig part availability or high sig pricing?

Josh

Yes people are making money buying p320s and partying them out. New? Dunno, but red box and other used ones? Definitely. I’m guessing new as well. Sig sells lots of parts, but not all of them. Their pricing is ok, but the chop shops are generally cheaper. 

As far as I can tell, it’s the 80% crowd driving the market. But a standard full size 320 via parts comes in around $600 with no mags. That may or may not need a striker assembly, I was never able to determine If that came with the slide and barrel. And that’s about the cheapest I found. Also that was pre-panic buying. 

• 2 weeks later...

California law, which is aimed at preventing people from buying any guns eventually, essentially does not allow any semi--autos put on the market in the last several years, to be sold by ffl's. There are some special routes to getting a 320 which I don't feel like explaining, but suffice it to say that used 320's go for over a thousand bucks. So people buy 80% fcu's, and spend a couple hundred bucks on jigs and whatever to make one. Then they buy the parts sets and they can get a 320 at an almost reasonable price.