Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom M&P build or new M&P 2.0 PC Core?

galdor

I've seen some really cool custom slide work from Floyd's Custom and thinking about sending my M&P 2.0 compact slide in for the Titan slide machining, red dot sight cut, barrel porting and also get an Apex trigger. However for the same cost (or maybe cheaper) I can just buy a M&P 2.0 Performance Center Core with ported slide and have two guns. This gun will mainly be used for range shooting and training.

My question is:

1. Will all the custom work make the pistol less reliable? Any one with experience of the Titan slide cut from Floyds Custom?

2. For the same money would you do the custom work or just buy a new M&P 2.0 PC Core?

thanks

By getting the CORE, I believe you would have many options when you wanted to add an optic. If you have your slide milled, you’re locked into that particular optic. I did that with a Glock and that was a mistake. 

22 hours ago, galdor said:

Thanks everyone for your opinions. Definitely good points on both sides. One thing for sure is a custom build will be easier getting pass the wife than another gun 🙂

Put the current gun in a box and tell your wife you are going to a Fed Ex store to ship it to a custom gunsmith.  Drive away and hide the box in the car.   After a couple of weeks, buy the new gun and bring it home.  Tell her it's the old gun that's been customized.   Sneak the old gun back into the house.  Mission accomplished.  😇

Seriously, as you noted, for the price of all of that custom work, you could probably buy a new 2.0 CORE for about the same money.  BTW, installing an Apex Action Kit is a very simple DIY project.  Apex has plenty of videos on Youtube showing how to do it .    

On 5/10/2020 at 11:13 AM, dapribek said:

By getting the CORE, I believe you would have many options when you wanted to add an optic. If you have your slide milled, you’re locked into that particular optic. I did that with a Glock and that was a mistake. 

If you go the custom route, see if they could make a universal optic cut. For example, Agency Arms does an AOS cut for Glock and sells adapter plates.

Unless, of course, you are 100% certain of your chosen optic, now and as long as you own the gun.

Edited by BobRockefeller

On 5/11/2020 at 9:39 PM, SteelCityShooter said:

Seriously, as you noted, for the price of all of that custom work, you could probably buy a new 2.0 CORE for about the same money.  BTW, installing an Apex Action Kit is a very simple DIY project.  Apex has plenty of videos on Youtube showing how to do it .    

Should I still install Apex on a 2.0 PC Core or is the PC trigger good enough?

thanks

17 hours ago, BobRockefeller said:

If you go the custom route, see if they could make a universal optic cut. Fort example, Agency Arms does an AOS cut for Glock and sells adapter plates.

Unless, of course, you are 100% certain of your chosen optic, now and as long as you own the gun.

Optics are such an investment (they cost almost as much as the pistol) that I have not change out an optics yet. My main concerns with the custom route are how the change in slide weight and porting will change how it shoots and sinking all that money into a $400 pistol.

thanks

On 5/13/2020 at 12:49 AM, galdor said:

Should I still install Apex on a 2.0 PC Core or is the PC trigger good enough?

thanks

My M&P9 2.0 PC CORE's factory trigger wasn't at all that bad but a bit heavy at 5-1/2 to 6 pounds.  I installed the Apex sear and "USB" sear block and that dropped the pull to 3-1/2 pounds and improved it's feel.  It was worth the rather low cost.

BTW, I also have an older 5" M&P 2.0 but not CORE and not PC.  It's factory trigger pull was not even as good as the newer CORE pistol but it also responded equally well to an Apex transfusion.