Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AIWB Concealed + Local Level 1 USPSA Match not allowed?

HomeSkillet

Hey all,

My first post here. I just did my first USPSA match today at Shadow Hawk Defense in Hedgesville, WV and everyone was nice and really helpful. Lynn, the owner of Shadow Hawk Defense, even emailed me yesterday saying she would buddy me up with someone to help me out throughout the match. Everyone in my squad was helpful and patient with my noobness.

After I did my first stage, I was notified that AIWB wasnt allowed, but Lynn would let me finish the match because it was my first match and I didn't have any other gear. After the match was over, Lynn came over to me to check up on me and I told her everything went well and thanked her. We briefly talked about AIWB and how I thought it was allowed in Open division, but she said it wasn't allowed even in Open division.

I know there are already other threads about this topic, but I found this from 5/1/2019 https://nroi.org/q-of-month-results/are-iwb-aiwb-holsters-legal/

Doesn't that technically mean AIWB is allowed in Open Division? Unless something changed in the 2020 rulebook and I missed it.

-Chris

6 minutes ago, RJH said:

Take a copy of the clarification you linked to the next match 

Not really even necessary as it’s in the current rules under 5.2.6

When I started shooting IPSC (yes, back in the late 80's, it was IPSC)

I started with a BHP and an in the waist holster.

Shot that for at least a year.

Now, my Cheely 9mm Major Open gun won't fit in my waistband.

Not sure if it's because of my expanding waist ???

11 hours ago, Sarge said:

Not really even necessary as it’s in the current rules under 5.2.6

You and I know that, but it looks like his MD/RM might need more convincing 🤣🤣 

47 minutes ago, mvmojo said:

I could be a local club rule that no one is allowed to use AIWB for safety reasons.

I recall that at official USPSA matches (Level 1 and up) there can't be "local rules" that are more restrictive than USPSA's rules...

19 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Rule 3.3

Which requires approval from the USPSA President himself.  I seriously doubt this Lynn woman has it for her special rules.

Sounds like a club I wouldn't go back to and would report to NROI to make sure she gets schooled.

3 minutes ago, Sandbagger123 said:

look up Gabe White that shoots in Ore.  he is the king of Aiwb in limited .  

Yep, heard of him a couple of years ago and have also been watching Les Kismartoni and older videos of Jay Beal

If the MD, Ms. Kasic doesn't agree they're allowed, you might point out that her website lists various rule sets covering their different matches. Under the USPSA Pistol match rules tab, a PDF of the entire 2019 USPSA rulebook pops up. So, her own web page says they're compliant.

real nice folks and fun matches, sure just a brain fart that will be fixed.  maybe a mixup with cross draw...  even possible there was a miscomm given this was his first match.  i shot there yesterday and will do their match this upcoming saturday and will review that with them.  i've been told by another md at another club that i can't do walkthru's with a mag in my hand, so clearly everyone gets it wrong here and there.

There are ranges that have “rules”. Last year’s Midwest PCC championship was at a club that has a “no center fire rifle” rule. The organizer had to get a special ruling from the board for the match to happen.
If a club/range has a rule that is more restrictive than USPSA, they do have the recourse to ask any offender(s) to leave. For the range in this discussion, this might be the case.
For my part, I don’t think I’d ever want to compete with an aiwb holster.

6 minutes ago, tkheard said:

There are ranges that have “rules”. Last year’s Midwest PCC championship was at a club that has a “no center fire rifle” rule. The organizer had to get a special ruling from the board for the match to happen.
If a club/range has a rule that is more restrictive than USPSA, they do have the recourse to ask any offender(s) to leave. For the range in this discussion, this might be the case.

Then it is NOT a USPSA match.  OP posted it was a USPSA match and if run under USPSA rules, local rules are not allowed.  Not allowing centerfire rifles just means no rifle matches and at a handgun match, they just don't have a PCC division, which is not a violation of USPSA rules.  If you run a PCC only match, then the waiver would be necessary.

2 hours ago, tkheard said:

The "no centerfire rifle rule" example that you cite is not even what we're talking about here.  

A USPSA club CANNOT impose its own rules in its USPSA matches in contradiction to USPSA rules without specific approval of the USPSA President.  Period.  End of story. 

2 hours ago, HomeSkillet said:

Update: I emailed Lynn earlier today and she said I can continue to use my AIWB setup for future matches😀

Woo-hoo!

Seriously, all's well that ends well.

*Whoops... mvmoto beat me to it.