Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee 9mm U Die: New User Setup...........

HOGRIDER

54 minutes ago, AHI said:

just checked mine and it only has one size .355 (upper part) no step. lower small part is .251

just finished 5k rounds  there is no brass build up on it.

AHI:

I couldn't remember if you were using a standard Sizer/Decapper or the Lee U Die?

Thanks!

Early this morning, I sent an email to a specific Dillon Rep that provides me with excellent customer service.  Included my pics from above to substantiate my concerns with the Dillon Expander maybe being out of spec.  He replied that my measurements were spot on..........

Dims are right on. The lower smaller dim is the lead portion to center the Back Up Expander into the case. The upper larger dim is an expander that barely reaches into the case mouth to expand it some. Usually the reason for the sticking is brass that is over-cleaned with steel pins or sonic cleaning. This creates a galling effect. It might require you to lube the cases so that the minute amount that gets on the case mouth should be enough to lube the expander. This can also happen with the Powder Funnel. Once you do get these work-hardened bits of brass on the expanders, you need to remove using 600 grit sandpaper.

So, at this point, I'm going to either machine the expander down to non-expansion specs, or purchase one of the aftermarket dies that allow me to have a solid solution to keeping the swager backup working properly.  

Recommendations are welcomed!

Thanks!

15 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

Early this morning, I sent an email to a specific Dillon Rep that provides me with excellent customer service.  Included my pics from above to substantiate my concerns with the Dillon Expander maybe being out of spec.  He replied that my measurements were spot on..........

So, at this point, I'm going to either machine the expander down to non-expansion specs, or purchase one of the aftermarket dies that allow me to have a solid solution to keeping the swager backup working properly.  

Recommendations are welcomed!

Thanks!

I had the same problem after I started to wet tumble....my solution was to put the expander shaft in my lathe and polish a slight (0.03") taper on it. Issue resolved and excellent projectile tension. The only downside was a definite coke bottle appearance.

Everyone:

I guess at this point I need to update.  Redding wanted to send me a new decapper shaft and pin before I reinstalled the Pro Titanium Sizing Die.  

I'm sure my method of checking the EGW/Lee UDie next to the Redding Pro was very unscientific, but it was the best I could come up with at the moment.

I took new Starline brass, and measured the top (just below/next to the mouth), middle, and base above the extractor groove. After running through the Lee UDie, the top measurements averaged exactly -.003"!  The middle was an average of -.003".  I was very impressed with the consistency of that top measurement averaging out to -.003" as Lee claims!  

All brass was lubed with Hornady One Shot. 

I next grabbed another batch of new Starline.  Repeated the same procedure, with the Redding Pro Titanium Sizer, and to my surprise the top measurements after resizing averaged -.002".  Middles were averaging -.002".

All base measurements were unchanged.

After contacting Redding Tech Support, they were able to confirm that the Titanium Pro Die does indeed create a reduction of approximately -.002".  He did state that this was coming from memory as he was operating remotely and did not have the actual print available.........

IMO, and this may be due to my history/familiarity of using the Redding die, the Redding was just a smoother consistency during the ENTIRE resizing process.  So for now, I'm going to give up that -.001" and go forward with completing the next hurdle in this machines operating cycle.

I want to say THANK YOU to everyone that has replied and tried to help me though this.

:cheers: