Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark7 Evolution - Tuning & Troubleshooting

14 hours ago, Judo said:

Super tough decapping pins.  I’ve got one of your decapping dies two of the swage dies awaiting installation in our new Revolution.  

I've done fewer than 1000 rounds in the Evo Pro and broke one of the Mighty Armory decapping pins already. The case feeder sent a 9mm case down the tube upside down. Digital clutch setting was at 3 and it stopped production, but not before the MA decapping pin broke right off. Fortunately they're easy to replace, just make sure you have spares.

I'd prefer to run the Evo Pro with a lower clutch setting so it would stop before applying so much force with problems like this or when a bullet topples. With pre-processed brass (decapped, ultrasonic cleaned) I can get away with the clutch set at 2, but with brass that has only been tumbled the clutch stops it every ~10 cases just seating the primer. 

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done fewer than 1000 rounds in the Evo Pro and broke one of the Mighty Armory decapping pins already. The case feeder sent a 9mm case down the tube upside down. Digital clutch setting was at 3 and it stopped production, but not before the MA decapping pin broke right off. Fortunately they're easy to replace, just make sure you have spares.

I processed about 10k brass so far with the Lee decapping die. The case feeder did same thing for me from time to time, feeded cases upside down and decapping pin pierced the old primer. I ran the clutch at 3-4 depending on how lubed the cases was. It held up pretty good, but after about 20-30 of them it bent crazy. Now I have gotten my MA ”the blue”, so was hoping that would be tougher.

Btw, the casefeeder is fast, but sometimes drops upside down cases. Also have the occasional airborne cases flying across the room.

Is your casefeeder wiggling in the connection with the 2 parts too? I can shift mine left to right, doesnt matter how hard I screw those 2 screws together.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, tedahlenius85 said:

I processed about 10k brass so far with the Lee decapping die. The case feeder did same thing for me from time to time, feeded cases upside down and decapping pin pierced the old primer. I ran the clutch at 3-4 depending on how lubed the cases was. It held up pretty good, but after about 20-30 of them it bent crazy. Now I have gotten my MA ”the blue”, so was hoping that would be tougher.

Btw, the casefeeder is fast, but sometimes drops upside down cases. Also have the occasional airborne cases flying across the room.

Have you adjusted the metal plate by where the cases drop down? And the case flipper? I rarely have upside down cases and have had luck adjusting those settings. I've had upside down cases with Dillon case feeders, too. Decapping pins are meant to be expendable, in my eyes. Keep spares on hand.

Have you adjusted the metal plate by where the cases drop down? And the case flipper? I rarely have upside down cases and have had luck adjusting those settings. I've had upside down cases with Dillon case feeders, too. Decapping pins are meant to be expendable, in my eyes. Keep spares on hand.

Metal plate is adjusted as much as can be, to the right. The case flipper is adjusted to, I have tried different things. Now I have what works best and didnt get flipped cases the last 1000 rounds. But still, time will tell. With Dillon i never had an upside down case, and I loaded for 3 years on that.

1 hour ago, rotifsn said:

I had a case sideways and broke it off, luckily I had bought the Blue for my Dillon a while back and it had come with spare pins. I might put in an order for a dozen or so just in case. At least easier to replace than other dies.

14 hours ago, Smithcity said:

A couple Evolution Pro's and probably a 650 / 1050 auto drive. Might add a Revolution to the mix. Really, for our needs, the evolution pro with the primer collator would be perfect. Revolution would be overkill....although we are eyeing the brass processor. Looks beefy w/ that 4th guide rod. Let us know what you think of the Revolution when you get it.

I highly recommend rolling your brass. It seems there are more and more semi / unsupported chambers, unless you are picking up cases that are always your own, things won't load very smoothly. I was finding a failure rate of ~5% when case gauging, since I started rolling, I'm typically a percent or less, and the loading process goes smoother.

I’ll definitely let you about the Revolution.  And thanks for the info regarding roll sizing the brass.  

5 hours ago, rotifsn said:

I'd prefer to run the Evo Pro with a lower clutch setting so it would stop before applying so much force with problems like this or when a bullet topples. With pre-processed brass (decapped, ultrasonic cleaned) I can get away with the clutch set at 2, but with brass that has only been tumbled the clutch stops it every ~10 cases just seating the primer. 

When you’re processing your brass before running on your Evolution, do you also swage the primer pockets during the processing?  

6 minutes ago, Judo said:

When you’re processing your brass before running on your Evolution, do you also swage the primer pockets during the processing?  

Right now I roll, then I take it to the 650 and decap/ size 3 times, just got the swage-it conversion for the 650, will start swaging before I load this week!

Edited by Smithcity

I don't do any processing other them tumbling. I let the Evo do the swageing.

The processed brass I referred to came from someone else and I'm not sure if they swagged it or not. I've never noticed any crimped pockets so they may have been swagged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if anyone is looking for a top notch roll sizer check out the ones coming from Australia now, Kevin Whitehead makes a wicked machine.

I've loaded around 100,000 rounds on my Revo now and haven't had a single upside down case (9mm) yet. I've had a couple mangled ones that spat out sideways, one of which broke a MA pin, and the spring on the case feed arm, but that's it.

On 7/30/2018 at 12:53 PM, quiller said:

Wow, I think I will have to set up my 650 again! We just moved and I took it down in the hope I was done with it!

Never get rid of the 650.  It’s the old standby and a good backup to the automated presses.  At least you can limp along until the auto press arrives.  

• 2 weeks later...

All, if I'm reloading 9mm (or possible .45 in the future) on an Evolution what am I doing in Station 3 (Trim / Swage Back up, which according to the user manual is not Included)? I'm assuming swaging is not required on 9 or .45 (at least it was not when reloading 9 on my Dillon 650). Also, any recommendations for Station 4: Primer Hold Down, assuming its necessary for 9 or 45? Thanks

2 hours ago, quiller said:

... Also, any recommendations for Station 4: Primer Hold Down, assuming its necessary for 9 or 45? Thanks

This is what I am running on the 10 Station case head.

1) Case feed.

2) Mighty Armory decapping die.

3) Mighty Armory swage back up die

4) Redding sizing die with decapper removed (primer insertion)

5) Redding expander die

6) Powder drop

7) Powder check

8 ) Mr. Bulletfeeder drop

9) Redding Competition bullet seeater

10) Lee Sizing/Crimp Die

Now, one can also put the sizing die at station 3 and station 4 empty. I know guys that are doing that, and also some guys are putting the regular sizing die at Station 3 and Lee/EGW Undersize die at station 4.

42 minutes ago, tanks said:

1) Case feed.

5) Redding expander die

6) Powder drop

7) Powder check

10) Lee Sizing/Crimp Die

Now, one can also put the sizing die at station 3 and station 4 empty. I know guys that are doing that, and also some guys are putting the regular sizing die at Station 3 and Lee/EGW Undersize die at station 4.

I've used the mr. Bullet feeder powder drop flare on my 650, seemed to work well enough when it came to dropping a bullet in place. Does the expander die before the powder drop flare buy you much?

22 hours ago, tanks said:

1) Case feed.

5) Redding expander die

6) Powder drop

7) Powder check

10) Lee Sizing/Crimp Die

Station 7 - Powder check. Since I will be upgrading at some point in the future to an Evo Pro, I'm assuming its a better idea to get the Mark 7 PowderSence (Complete) as opposed to picking up a Dillon and jerry rigging it as required at a later date. Having said that I never used the Dillon one on my 650 as it was a pain to set up. Is the Mark 7 PowderSense any different/better/worse/etc. Thanks

3 hours ago, quiller said:

Station 7 - Powder check. Since I will be upgrading at some point in the future to an Evo Pro, I'm assuming its a better idea to get the Mark 7 PowderSence (Complete) as opposed to picking up a Dillon and jerry rigging it as required at a later date. Having said that I never used the Dillon one on my 650 as it was a pain to set up. Is the Mark 7 PowderSense any different/better/worse/etc. Thanks

As long as you can look into the case you probably do not need it per se on an Evolution. On my 1050 I had set up a back up camera and a monitor zip tied to the case feed pole to look into the case (total cost was ~ $70). However, once you automate it becomes a need. The Mark 7 PowderSense integrates with the machine and will stop the machine and bring up a warning message. A jury rigged Dillon won't stop the machine and by the time you react after hearing the beep that round might already been off-loaded and in a bucket etc..

6 hours ago, tanks said:

As long as you can look into the case you probably do not need it per se on an Evolution. On my 1050 I had set up a back up camera and a monitor zip tied to the case feed pole to look into the case (total cost was ~ $70). However, once you automate it becomes a need. The Mark 7 PowderSense integrates with the machine and will stop the machine and bring up a warning message. A jury rigged Dillon won't stop the machine and by the time you react after hearing the beep that round might already been off-loaded and in a bucket etc..

Yes, I did the same thing on my 650, just looked into the case as it passed by. I had it set up at bench height on a strong mount so it was just at the right height for a quick glance. I read a few other posts on using a small camera but never bothered going that route. I guess it comes down to buy now or buy later. Cheers, thanks again.

On an Evolution the case will be almost at 1 o'clock after the powder station and you will not be able to see into it from where you are actuating the handle. So, a solution to verify that there is powder in the case would be needed. Personally, I'd just set up a camera solution. It is pretty inexpensive and doesn't take much time to set up. When you automate I'd go hog wild on all the sensors. PrimerSense and PowderSense would be a necessity IMO. BulletSense is a nice to have. TorqueSense and SwageSense I think come with the Evolution Pro.

52 minutes ago, tanks said:

On an Evolution the case will be almost at 1 o'clock after the powder station and you will not be able to see into it from where you are actuating the handle. So, a solution to verify that there is powder in the case would be needed. Personally, I'd just set up a camera solution. It is pretty inexpensive and doesn't take much time to set up. When you automate I'd go hog wild on all the sensors. PrimerSense and PowderSense would be a necessity IMO. BulletSense is a nice to have. TorqueSense and SwageSense I think come with the Evolution Pro.

Good point on the location...forgot about that, not exactly like rubber necking an accident for a second on the highway. You'd get a serious neck pain watching the powder go by! I think I will go the camera route for now and as you said hog wild it later.

Have an Evo and am curious how you prevent pills from tumbling off the case before they get to the seater! Has happened to me on a couple occasions now and I feel like I definitely have enough case flare. Using bayou 135gr round nose

Try turning your index down. I use a 1 or 2 with 9 major. Also, might need to tune your index pawl a hair. The adjustment is through the left side of the press with a small allen head. Should be in the manual how to adjust it if the index is jerky.