Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark7 Evolution - Tuning & Troubleshooting

Guys. I have taken my Evolution down to bare bones and I wonder if what the picture below is the source to my problem. As I look straight down the primer plunger is not lined up with the hole that holds the primer and the silver bar has to actually move ever so slightly to align with the primer plunger before it will come up through the hole. 

any idea on how to move this silver primer holder bar back 1mm (maybe even less) so that the plunger will be center of the primer holder hole? 

C46-F8076-7226-4-A21-98-E5-B0505-FD58972

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Guys. I have taken my Evolution down to bare bones and I wonder if what the picture below is the source to my problem. As I look straight down the primer plunger is not lined up with the hole that holds the primer and the silver bar has to actually move ever so slightly to align with the primer plunger before it will come up through the hole. 

any idea on how to move this silver primer holder bar back 1mm (maybe even less) so that the plunger will be center of the primer holder hole? 

It’s the set screw at the back that sets the stop point

7 minutes ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Wait is that the front or back?

If that’s the front, it auto aligns with the primer pin coming down into the hole at the very front of the primer slideIf that’s the front, it auto aligns with the primer pin coming down into the hole at the very front of the primer slide

Sorry I’m using my iPhone on the road and I can’t see that picture very well. If it’s not lining up with the primer tube, that’s the setscrew at the very back that you turn to adjust it’s stop point which is what you wanna do if the primer slide is not moving back far enough to catch the primers coming down the tube 

Per the Mark 7 manual 2.0:

1441380690_ScreenShot2020-12-31at3_21_03PM.png.9880b1c61f2f542d9a33309e6dce6125.png

1613543029_ScreenShot2020-12-31at3_21_26PM.png.7e1b30cffc0d92ef216bcaa287acdae2.png

There are only really 2 adjustment points that we can do which is #1 and #3, #2 is set right (on my press) from factory. 

@MountainMan is correct, the shuttle during priming in it's forward position is aligned through the primer slide/shuttle alignment rod that is built into the toolhead (circled in red below). When the alignment rod is not in the shuttle/slide it will not be aligned to the primer punch. 

1951346710_ScreenShot2020-12-31at3_27_34PM.png.a6b21ab7a3325d4605bb494d12318342.png

Edited by Baragasam

49 minutes ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Sig, 

I had a very similar issue and when I took the primer bar off on the bottom side you could see where the plunger had been striking the bar early and I was having alignment and primer seating issues. It actually got so bad it locked up the whole primer feeding system. I ended up just having to send in those parts and they sent me a new plunger slide and other primer feed parts. They did not explain how I could have adjusted that issue. They just sent me parts and I put them on. Been about 30k round since then and no issues. 

Guys - I appreciate all of your help and feedback. 

Bar - It did not register until you circled the alignment rod. Thanks for making that simple for me to understand.....

MM - Thanks again for your assistance and support through this trying process...

TRP - Your post confirms to me that there may be a solution that can only be achieved by replacement parts....

I am going to re-assemble the press and try one small adjustment related to the shell plate height. I am thinking that if I can tighten it ever so slightly this might address the issue as I have gone through the entire hit list you guys provided. If this does not work my hope is that Michael at Mark7 provides me the support to replace the parts. If not this system will be boxed up and sold......

Again guys - Thanks so much for your support....My wife laughs at me because she said that all the time I have spent monkeying with this press  I could have loaded 5000 rounds on the 650......

No problem at all @Sigarmsp226!

I'm a visual learner so pictures is always helpful when there's so many terminologies involved. You should not need to over-tighten the shell plate as that may cause other issues. The indexing pawl which is a little arm that moves the shell plate to the next position at the end of the Upwards stroke is very small and over tightening the shell plate may cause premature wear on that part as well as the shell plate in my guess. 

Without shells on the shell plate try and see if it lines up properly with primers and what other effects happen to the primer slide/shuttle during the downstroke. 

Signing off for now, wishing everyone on this forum a safe and happy new years eve and that all our reloading problems will be solved 😁

Sig, 

Now that I think back, I believe what MountainMan said and Baragasam showed in the photo was the alignment pin had been pushed up and was not timing at the correct time, but late due to it being out of place. 

It has been awhile, but I believe mark 7 sent me the primer feeding parts and a new tool head to correct the issue. 

Well guys as you can see I am an early riser. It is 4:45 a.m. on January 1st, 2021 and I just finished a 100 round observation cycle where I removed the die in the primer station to see if any primers were inverted or sideways (none were) and then proceeded to a 300 rounds reloading cycle to see if whatever I did during my tear down and re-assembly “fixed” my issue.....

It seems that IT DID fix the issue - or at least the 300 rounds I just finished loading reflect this because  previously with my primer issue I should have found 8-12 sideways primers in a batch of 300 - and I had none....Same Exact Primers if you are wondering..

What is crazy is I know not what I did to fix it but I followed everyone’s advise here on the things to review, adjust, tighten, clean, or change....Needless to say I was at my wits end (I am old so I get to have these moments now) and ready to give up....What a great way to start 2021 - Now to give this machine a real workout....

Happy New Year guys and to all three of you - If you are ever in Central MS be sure and message me because lunch (Best BBQ in the US) or dinner (Catfish and Hush-Pupies) is on me......

Now to eat me a bowl of Marshmallow Froot Loops (three of the six grandkids were here earlier this week for a few days) and back out to load a few more hundred rounds.....You guys are the best...Thanks Again...Mark

Edited by Sigarmsp226

16 hours ago, TRPOperator said:

Sig, 

Now that I think back, I believe what MountainMan said and Baragasam showed in the photo was the alignment pin had been pushed up and was not timing at the correct time, but late due to it being out of place. 

It has been awhile, but I believe mark 7 sent me the primer feeding parts and a new tool head to correct the issue. 

thank you @TRPOperator for sharing your experience. I was wondering if there was a possibility of parts being out of spec. Aside from the tool head was the primer shuttle/slide/bar out of spec too? 

Happy new years to you too @Sigarmsp226 as well as everyone on this forum! I was in MS for work training several years ago! Biloxi if I remembered correctly, beautiful shoreline.  

Although it can be assumed that the press and it's components were machined properly, tuning might be needed during the assembly process. It took me about a month just to get 9mm right but the results were amazing compared to my previous setups (much less defects, more accurate loads, less wastage and downtime). 223 is quite a bit more of a challenge that I am still working hard on getting right. Another forum member here by the name of @RGA has been spectacularly helpful to me with his wealth of knowledge. He shares many of our experiences and frustrations with Mark 7 as well as the Evolution.  

good to hear. did you get a chance to check the alignment of the primer tube with the cup in the primer slide? Was is correct already or did you adjust?

I had some frustrations with all my presses....550 up to 1050. I automated the 1050 then rolled that automation (Mark 7) in at Evo. I am now very happy, but there were bumps along the way. Don't let frustration linger long when you hit a problem. Reach out here or at the Mark 7 forum for help.

I honestly don't remeber. I think it was the tool head out of spec that ended causing the issues with the primer shuttle bard and the plunger. Mark7 took care of all of it. I have loaded so many rounds now, I don't remember..lol. I was like number 15 on the press so I have seen some stuff, but Mark7 has alway been helpful for my stuff. 

11 hours ago, TRPOperator said:

I honestly don't remeber. I think it was the tool head out of spec that ended causing the issues with the primer shuttle bard and the plunger. Mark7 took care of all of it. I have loaded so many rounds now, I don't remember..lol. I was like number 15 on the press so I have seen some stuff, but Mark7 has alway been helpful for my stuff. 

That's good to hear! 

Thanks for the kind words Baragasam! But don't be fooled, i'm just an amateur....😊😊

Best wishes for the new year to all!

Edited by RGA

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, I just got my Evo pro put together last weekend and am having a couple of problems.  First problem is that the primer orientation sensor throws an error and stops the press every time I activate it.  I have adjusted it per the instructions, but it doesn’t seem to matter.  Also, my swage sense never throws an error, even if there is a primer left in the casing.  The swage depth and backer die are set correctly, but it doesn’t seem to trip the switch.  Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

Drmike,

You have the autodrive on it, I assume, right?

So you have set the height of the primer sensor orientation plunger according to the manual; please post a photo of this for us.  Is the plunger free to move up and down when you press lightly with your finger?

One problem that can occur with the primer orientation sensor is if the index pawl is not set correctly and the shellplate is not aligned quite correctly at the end of each cycle and before the cycle begins. The primer orientation sensor triggers at the BEGINNING of each cycle, and if the shellplate is not aligned at that time, the primer sensor pin notes an apparent primer height error and triggers. You can tell if this shellplate pawl adjustment issue is the problem by carefully watching the shellplate (all sensors off, no brass) during the cycling of the press. If the shellplate moves ever so slightly (or more than ever so slightly) when the toolhead alignment pins FIRST enter the shellplate holes, then the shellplate pawl needs to be adjusted so that it is better aligned at the END of each cycle.   If that is happening, let me know and I can direct you to the index pawl adjustment area. Mark7 had a link to a dropbox file with a nice video with this but it's been removed and I can't find it quickly on their site. It's a confusing collection of information on that mark7 community site...