Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark7 Evolution - Tuning & Troubleshooting

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, WarrenZ said:

I just went through that on mine last night. I think it was a case that ended up upside down and bent the spring so that it caught and got further bent.

Yup that happened on mine a while back, case got stuck and when I unstuck it the remnant of the spring flew off and a small broken piece was left in the holder.  i just took the broken piece out and reinstalled the rest of the spring and it's still working fine now even with a slightly shorter spring.

Well.. seems you guys have been having fun with your EVOs. Unfortunately, I have been extremely busy at work and have not even finished setting up mine yet. Mostly the bullet sensor and now that I have the harness for the swage sense and primer sensor I can enable those. I also need to setup the powder check sensor and pour some powder into the hopper and set my charge.

(Looks I need to do a lot more than I thought LOL) I hope I can take care of this tomorrow. 

3 minutes ago, teros135 said:

That's a handy idea.   It goes well with the Dillon powder measure. 

Is your mount strong enough to keep the case feeder and bullet feeder stable during operation? 

I'm still waiting for the improved springs/linkage, if that does not fix drop variances I'll start looking into installing Dillon powder measure...

Mount is as strong as the Dillon/Mark 7 mounts usually are. Bolted to the Mark 7 body in the same way as Mark 7 original was. So it is as good as it gets, if more stability is needed then only option is to mount them separately from the machine and each other. Don't think that is necessary.

2 hours ago, mikamarj said:

I'm still waiting for the improved springs/linkage, if that does not fix drop variances I'll start looking into installing Dillon powder measure...

I wonder if the problem is that they need a different drum for pistol, with a smaller bore, like Hornady and RCBS.   Mk7's is "one size fits all" and doesn't adapt to pistol so well.  

7 hours ago, teros135 said:

I wonder if the problem is that they need a different drum for pistol, with a smaller bore, like Hornady and RCBS.   Mk7's is "one size fits all" and doesn't adapt to pistol so well.  

I came too the same conclusion/suspicion/observation after testing my Evo powder measure against a Dillon, Harrerll's and a Hornady powder measure. I shared this with Mark 7 back in december 2018 but they were not interested.

7 hours ago, RGA said:

I came too the same conclusion/suspicion/observation after testing my Evo powder measure against a Dillon, Harrerll's and a Hornady powder measure. I shared this with Mark 7 back in december 2018 but they were not interested.

Getting to be an old story.  If I did it again I wouldn't buy the powder measure, just use my Dillon or get a Hornady.   

• 4 weeks later...

Bullet Sense Issue:

I've go well over 100K rounds (I don't keep track any more) through my 1050/Mark 7, all with a functional Bullet Sense.  I recently moved to Idaho and had to reassemble things;  surprise, everything worked, but I did notice that when I dialed in the sensor the laser was close to the edge of the mirror.  After about 5K rounds in it's our new home out of the blue the sense function has stopped working.  Laser works, reflection, while not crisp, covers the sensor, bullet sense is enabled, but the function simply isn't working.

Anyone else experience something similar ?  And, of course, I'll contact Mark 7.

• 5 weeks later...

I just wanted to share an issue I had with my Mark 7 Autodrive on my 1050.  It's technically a Dillon issue I guess but I think more relevant to Mark 7 users. A few months ago, about 100k rounds into my Mark 7 use (and about 250k rounds total on the 1050), I started having 1-2% of cases go unprimed. The primers would spill out the back or jam up against the shellplate. I did all the usual troubleshooting, including calling Dillon several times.   Then I took my primer bracket arm assembly in, and discovered there was substantial wear on the metal channel that guides (or times) the primer slide process.  Left is the used part, right is the new part. I've replaced this and wanted to share this with others that might be having hard-to-diagnose priming issues.  I honestly don't know if this wear pattern is abnormal or not for this volume, but I'm sure the automation enhances such wear. I lube that pin that slides in this channel liberally, so lack of lube isn't the reason.

Regards

C

dillon primer assembly.jpg

8 hours ago, Clint007 said:

I just wanted to share an issue I had with my Mark 7 Autodrive on my 1050.  It's technically a Dillon issue I guess but I think more relevant to Mark 7 users. A few months ago, about 100k rounds into my Mark 7 use (and about 250k rounds total on the 1050), I started having 1-2% of cases go unprimed. The primers would spill out the back or jam up against the shellplate. I did all the usual troubleshooting, including calling Dillon several times.   Then I took my primer bracket arm assembly in, and discovered there was substantial wear on the metal channel that guides (or times) the primer slide process.  Left is the used part, right is the new part. I've replaced this and wanted to share this with others that might be having hard-to-diagnose priming issues.  I honestly don't know if this wear pattern is abnormal or not for this volume, but I'm sure the automation enhances such wear. I lube that pin that slides in this channel liberally, so lack of lube isn't the reason.

Regards

C

dillon primer assembly.jpg

WOW!! Good Catch!  I've been having the same issue, just went and looked at mine, and while it's not as severe as yours on the left, it's definitely worn... I'll be replacing it ASAP.

Good. Hope that fixes your issue. Since the replacement of this part a couple days ago, my recent systematic priming problem in 1-2% of the cases has resolved.  I've done about 1000 rounds since then. This replacement was the only thing I've done since the last demonstration of the problem, so I'm optimistic it will be a durable fix for the isuse.

C

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2018 at 6:08 PM, CrashDodson said:

If your punch is hitting the shellplate then your shellplate/index needs adjustments.  I sent you a PM

Im having the same exact issue as you did. And after a few really serious jams, the primer punch has been damaged pretty badly. So badly so that itll not return flush with that brass insert. I had to push it up, file it down enough to remove it from underneath. I emailed mark 7 last night and havent heard anything back yet. 

Can you PM me and tell me what your remedy was for the primer punch striking the index plate? I messed with the indexing of the shell plate quote a bit and assumed the plate was slightly overindexing causing it to strike and or flip primers sideways or upside down. Once i adjusted the index it ran ok fire a while and then got seriously jamed a couple times and then back to original problem you were having. And now the primer punch is damaged to all hell. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2019 at 8:44 AM, RickT said:

Bullet Sense Issue:

I've go well over 100K rounds (I don't keep track any more) through my 1050/Mark 7, all with a functional Bullet Sense.  I recently moved to Idaho and had to reassemble things;  surprise, everything worked, but I did notice that when I dialed in the sensor the laser was close to the edge of the mirror.  After about 5K rounds in it's our new home out of the blue the sense function has stopped working.  Laser works, reflection, while not crisp, covers the sensor, bullet sense is enabled, but the function simply isn't working.

Anyone else experience something similar ?  And, of course, I'll contact Mark 7.

This would happen to me every now and then. I would deal with it by shutting down console and tablet and restarting and it would work again.

4 hours ago, deyolo said:

This would happen to me every now and then. I would deal with it by shutting down console and tablet and restarting and it would work again.

I did find that to be the "cure".  All in all the Mark 7 is a truly remarkable piece of equipment.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been away for sometime.  Finally got back at my Evo today.  First issue, unsolved from before, was every 50 or so it wouldn't index and it would double charge (powder sense caught it every time).  Previously I adjusted paw height, dremeled it and polished it, made sure adjustment was right, cleaned and lubed the shell plate,no joy, sort of why I quit on it.  Anyways, today when I fired it up, it was more like 1out of 10, which made troubleshooting easier.  The primer chute was getting hung up.  Tech support had sent me the primer install and adjustment instructions.  It includes chamfering the hole, and the tube; that didn't work.  Next it says try some number 8 washers as the tube might be long, well I tried 6 to start ( a little thinner).  30 cents later it has loaded about 1000 rounds no issues with that.  A couple other things, Mr bullet feeder was out of adjustment, followed directions, works again. I had another odd thing happening, every 20-30 cases were being flipped in the chute as they came down, this results in the press hanging up and flinging a case out of the press.  It was obvious it was happening but I couldn't figure it out why cases were flinging.  I watched the chute for a bit and it looked like the cases were vibrating and jumping around as they went from the big part of the funnel to the small.  I figured some dampening would help.  I pulled the funnel off and out a bit if masking tape in the top portion of the funnel, damped now, no more flipped cases.  So end of story I have a semi antonomous press now that runs like I want, just had to add $0.30 I parts and a couple prices of tape.  Powder throw has been sufficient for 40 Cal, using wst.

On 7/15/2019 at 8:27 PM, andrewtac said:

I have been away for sometime.  Finally got back at my Evo today.  First issue, unsolved from before, was every 50 or so it wouldn't index and it would double charge (powder sense caught it every time).  Previously I adjusted paw height, dremeled it and polished it, made sure adjustment was right, cleaned and lubed the shell plate,no joy, sort of why I quit on it.  Anyways, today when I fired it up, it was more like 1out of 10, which made troubleshooting easier.  The primer chute was getting hung up.  Tech support had sent me the primer install and adjustment instructions.  It includes chamfering the hole, and the tube; that didn't work.  Next it says try some number 8 washers as the tube might be long, well I tried 6 to start ( a little thinner).  30 cents later it has loaded about 1000 rounds no issues with that.  A couple other things, Mr bullet feeder was out of adjustment, followed directions, works again. I had another odd thing happening, every 20-30 cases were being flipped in the chute as they came down, this results in the press hanging up and flinging a case out of the press.  It was obvious it was happening but I couldn't figure it out why cases were flinging.  I watched the chute for a bit and it looked like the cases were vibrating and jumping around as they went from the big part of the funnel to the small.  I figured some dampening would help.  I pulled the funnel off and out a bit if masking tape in the top portion of the funnel, damped now, no more flipped cases.  So end of story I have a semi antonomous press now that runs like I want, just had to add $0.30 I parts and a couple prices of tape.  Powder throw has been sufficient for 40 Cal, using wst.

Well, that sounds like a finicky temperamental press, and reminds me sort of my first 20 hours with my Super 1050 a decade ago.  Is this sort of thing common with other users....a rough period of time with problems that eventually get sorted out?  Just so i can be prepared...

C

I believe anyone who buys a revolutionary design in an established industry should expect to have to work out minor flaws.  Each time a customer raises a new problem the company will learn and address it either in their manufacturing process or in a change to the design.  With each problem the equipment will improve.  I bought one of the first 25 machines that were sold to dealers.  I had a primer problem with my machine that took Mark 7 and me a while to figure out and fix.  My machine runs perfectly now.  Well worth the initial frustration. 

Concur, I got one of the first ones.  I wish it worked out of the box, but as with anything in this sport I expect a bit of tinkering (especially when something is new).  And I'd buy another if I needed another press.  I believe they were overwhelmed as was I (life was getting in the way).  I haven't shot a pistol in probably over a year now.  I have loaded about 4k in the last couple days, press runs great now.  Time to dry fire and get back at it.