Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cracked slide

jackntucson

I have a STI trubor I bought new, was a NOS  about 3 yrs ago, been a great gun with no problems but today it cracked the slide at bottom of the reverse plug tunnel. Can anyone tell me if this is common? Guessing at a round count of 15 to 20 thousand. Thanks 

Yep, cracked two STI open slides during one week. First went the STI MatchMaster, then STI DVC open that havent even been shot a lot. 

Warranty case pending. Not having high hopes that they will ship parts to country representative in next 10 years. 

• 1 month later...

I know two guns that have been replaced by STI for cracked slide and/or cracked comp on the Trubor barrel.  They're slow to respond but do seem to take care of their customers.

Call STI.
They fixed my HexTac when the previous owner filed down the grip safety to disable the safety. They even paid for shipping both ways. They took care of my issue for no charge. The original builder did the repair too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2020 at 1:07 PM, zombywoof said:

Fill out a warranty claim

Hello everyone, 

Just discovered a crack in my STI DVC Open (38 Super) slide.  The crack is between the three oval cutouts on the top of the slide, which is pictured below.  I thought it was just a powder smudge until I cleaned it and discovered that the smudge was a crack.  I believe this occurred today during a match in California; and not knowing it was a crack , I continued to shoot without any problems, luckily. Can someone tell me if this will pose a serious problem if I continue to shoot the gun; and does anyone know how to get a hold STI's warranty department.  I went online and I can't find anything. 

Thank you.  

IMG_0999.jpg

8 hours ago, CzechShooter said:

Hello everyone, 

Just discovered a crack in my STI DVC Open (38 Super) slide.  The crack is between the three oval cutouts on the top of the slide, which is pictured below.  I thought it was just a powder smudge until I cleaned it and discovered that the smudge was a crack.  I believe this occurred today during a match in California; and not knowing it was a crack , I continued to shoot without any problems, luckily. Can someone tell me if this will pose a serious problem if I continue to shoot the gun; and does anyone know how to get a hold STI's warranty department.  I went online and I can't find anything. 

Thank you.  

IMG_0999.jpg

The later versions of the DVC-O does not have the holes on the top of the slide. It was an obvious weak spot. This was very common if I recall.

Find the warranty claim on their website. Fill it out and make sure you send in this picture.

Expect to wait a couple to a few months. I recently waited two months for a slide replacement.

Good luck.

Edited by zombywoof
spelling

35 minutes ago, shred said:

It's unlikely to fly apart and take out both your eyes, but it's not going to get any better...

I agree with this. I would shoot it if it were mine while I was waiting to hear back from ST uhh I mean Staccato!

Yep I'd shoot it till I hear back from them... I have an open gun with a hybrid barrel that has a slot cut all the way down that part of the slide for the barrel rib. The crack starts at one hole and stops at another... Unless other cracks form (particularly headed back toward the lugs). It wouldn't worry me that much.