Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope for 300 win mag

Hi I was wondering what kind of scope you guys would recommend for a 300 win mag. It will mainly be used for long range shooting and an occasional hunt here and there.  I don't want to buy Chinese and that's been my style way before the virus.  Preferably American.  It's an inexpensive stock rem 700. 

Thanks for any advice. 

You can pick up a nice used Nightforce NXS 5x22x50 for $1200-1500...22 is good for target or hunting at 1000 yards. The NXS is IMO absolutely the finest hunting/target scope that's ever been produced...it tracks, its repeatable, its gathers a tremendous amount of light at dusk,  clarity is second to none, and its damn near indestructible! 

Edited by falconpilot

That's funny cause I've had my eyes on a nightforce svh but read a couple negative reviews, just saying that it should be better for the money and they recommended the same nxs as well my arms just shrink and can't reach my wallet. Lol. Also that scope is about three times what my gun is.  But gotta pay for quality. Thanks for your recommendation

9 minutes ago, falconpilot said:

Austin

If you keep an eye on the for sale ads over on accurateshooter.com, lots of times you can catch a NXS 5x22 for around $1100-$1200...I also have a couple of SHV on my hunting rifles and have nothing bad to say about them...

Jim

Thanks. A lot I'm just reluctant to buy something I can't see.  This guy didn't like the fact there's no true zero stop on shv. I don't know enough about scopes 

So many unanswered questions:

What focal plane?

Clarity of glass is critical to a lot of folks, more than X power.

What is the Eye Box/Eye relief?

FOV is a critical success component.

Some very good scope shave a very small eye box.

What type of shooting? solid platform at 800-1000 yards v 400-600 yds with multiple targets.

Look at Anthlon as a possible.

SWFA has a huge selection of scope with info.  I would suggest a lot more research.

1 hour ago, pjb45 said:

So many unanswered questions:

What focal plane?

Clarity of glass is critical to a lot of folks, more than X power.

What is the Eye Box/Eye relief?

FOV is a critical success component.

Some very good scope shave a very small eye box.

What type of shooting? solid platform at 800-1000 yards v 400-600 yds with multiple targets.

Look at Anthlon as a possible.

SWFA has a huge selection of scope with info.  I would suggest a lot more research.

Okay that's part of the reason I'm here thanks for your info

I’m sorry but Anthlon  isn’t even close to,the glass that a NF is..with a scope, you truly get what you pay for..common saying is to spend twice what you paid for your rifle for a scope. I  want, accurate, repeatable, clarity , and quality in a scope..if you want something cheap, then sure buy a Burris, Vortex, Anthlon, etc..if you want something to last a lifetime , buy good quality glass, whether it be a NF, Swarovski, High end Vortex, etc...I travel long distances to hunt with my rifles and spend quite a bit of money buying out of state tags, guide fee’s, etc...my thousand dollar rifle will always wear a $2000 scope..I want something that I know I can count on, something I’ve confident in, something that gives me peace of mind knowing when I pull the trigger after spending lots of time and money getting to that momentthat it will not fail me..

Don’t let the zero stop or lack of worry you...it’s a cool feature if you’re a PRS shooter where your always twisting on the knobs..if you get lost, crank it to bottom to your stop where your zero is set and start over...I shoot thousands of rounds every year in competitions between 600-1000 yards and personally, I never use the zero stop feature as I always know where I’m at on my scope...I feel for the general target shooter/hunter, it isn’t required or needed..you on the other hand may place importance on having it, and if so, then don’t buy a scope without it..

Edited by falconpilot
24 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Pardon if this is a silly question, but will a stock Rem 700 be accurate

enough at 1,000 yards to warrant a $2,000 scope ?

Yes, with the right ammo. At least mine is....

I’m sorry but Anthlon  isn’t even close to,the glass that a NF is..with a scope.

Never said it was.  It is a nice cheaper scope.

I use Swaro.  Most people cannot afford expensive glass thus they compromise to their own constraints.

5-25 is way to go for 1k+.  As for what to get, the answer to that is the best you can afford.  My picks are Schmidt-Bender and Nightforce.  I'd rather buy better quality used than lesser quality new, as long as it's not abused.  And if you check places like snipershide, there are often good deals to be had because a lot of folks change stuff out constantly so they have the latest stuff.  I would also recommend FFP if you intend to use it, and mils v. moa.

4 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

5-25 is way to go for 1k+.  As for what to get, the answer to that is the best you can afford.  My picks are Schmidt-Bender and Nightforce.  I'd rather buy better quality used than lesser quality new, as long as it's not abused.  And if you check places like snipershide, there are often good deals to be had because a lot of folks change stuff out constantly so they have the latest stuff.  I would also recommend FFP if you intend to use it, and mils v. moa.

I shot the RM3G match a few times. Always had good glass.  Early mornings, late afternoons, Shade, various distances are the norm.  That match made a good glass believer out of me.

That said, I had a Primary Arms 1-6x on a JP for short course 3 gun matches.  I loaned it to a friend, at SMM3G, they pounded steel at 400-500 yards consistently.  Of course we are talking about bright sun on clear days.  

On 5/10/2020 at 8:05 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Pardon if this is a silly question, but will a stock Rem 700 be accurate

enough at 1,000 yards to warrant a $2,000 scope ?

I don't know, but why not find out and there would be nothing better hitting at a 1000 with a $700 rifle; and if it doesn't work out I'll put the scope on something else. 

On 5/12/2020 at 2:54 PM, ltdmstr said:

Ok thanks. I was looking at used scopes if in only going to save a couple to three hundred dollars then I'll just buy it new especially because I see they really hold there value. 

29 minutes ago, Austin81 said:

Don't want to buy Chinese. I try not to support people getting rich off paying their employees $.27 an hour and this has been my attitude long before the virus. 

Social Justice Warrior!  Righting the wrongs in an imperfect world.

13 hours ago, SnipTheDog said:

Social Justice Warrior!  Righting the wrongs in an imperfect world.

Exactly how does this post have any relevance to OP’s post..I try not buy Chinese crap either.

1 hour ago, falconpilot said:

Exactly how does this post have any relevance to OP’s post..I try not buy Chinese crap either.

Who says you have to buy Chinese anything?  OP was looking for information and the goal of information is to weigh one's options, provide your own checks and balances to that information.  Other than that, you're standing on a soap box trying to impose your beliefs and your frame of reference on the rest of the world.  You say you don't want to buy Chinese crap, but I'm pretty sure that most of the technology you depend on is made in China.  Crap or not.